The Geezer Factor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Apr 2, 2019.

1. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Metalcarver Funny how that whole technology thing has an effect on things. :lol3 I'm sure the AT is MUCH better in the power dept. Is that a custom hack thing or is it a kit? I wouldn't have ever even thought about the Hack on a AT??..?? Pretty cool stuff.

I'll be in the D100 next year racing my 1190r. I think pivot man will be a more acceptable term after picking it up many many times.:D

When are you leaving on the trip?
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  2. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a production sidecar custom installed on the AT which was a leftover 2017. The build took much longer than anticipated and picked it up in August a bit late in the season. i took the three wheeler course and no matter what the Ural is frightening to drive in traffic. This is an old fart's dream machine. I got a full size camp chair and have to admit there are some calculations I'm doing about a cabin tent and cot. dammit. But I like it better than my 1953 Cessna 170 B. That's about as much as I can say about any machine. Made by DMC in Buckley, WA. Son, if ya gotta ask the price you can't afford it...

Right now playing chicken with the weather. The high parts can get snowed in in Sept. which I hope hasn't happened but I have seen the entire Wasatch dry as a bone into December. It kind of looks like a week to ten days out things might be moderating some. Rather than burn up new knobbies I think I'll trailer to Bend and from there until back again it's at least 80% dirt. Then it's try not get hit by flying gobs of weather.

Oh, well, maybe KC wants to be the monkey!.
  3. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I carried a Roll a Cot and cabin tent on my old Nighthawk 750. Thinking of going back to that arrangement. I like my comforts.
  4. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    When I was on my shake down camp out I tripped on a vine and colorfully smacked my knee. Everything you do in a camping tent is on your knees. um. so to speak. Pain ensued.

I have a nice sleeping pad but I tend to fall off. They have some low camping cots I may have to look into.

Nighthawk 750. ahem...

you were much younger and had more faith in bungee cords...:jump
  5. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually, the '95 nighthawk was my reentry bike. Bought it in 2009 with some of my retirement check and put about 40k on it before getting an NC700xdct. Just picked up a RE Himalayan to go with the NC.
  6. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    My first bike was a 69 Honda CL450 when all you had to do to make a dirt bike was have high pipes. Went all over the west in the summer of 70. bungee cords, army surplus bag. Stuff hanging all over. I'm on my fourth Honda now and it kind of feels like I've come home again.

I first became motorcycle aware when the bad guys rode Brit 650's and only fat old rich guys rode Harleys. Now the bad guys are on .... (?) never mind, I get confused.

I took my 3 wheel training on the RE + hack. They can take abuse.
  7. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Another nifty fortune telling weather tool HERE.
  8. oldwyomingdude

oldwyomingdude Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    We WY natives tolerate the boom/bust economy and either ride out the property value roller coaster or go bust and start over. We had a bumper sticker "PLEASE GIVE ME ONE MORE OIL BOOM...I PROMISE NOT TO PISS IT AWAY THIS TIME" :dunno:-) Funny that you passed up a job in Casper, my home town, I passed on going to Alaska twice, first to survey on the pipeline and in the 90's a mineral survey.

I'm really enjoying this chronicle. Good on ya for sharing with us.
    LC1 likes this.
  9. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    And so, being formerly fat, dumb, and happy, my skinny ass is now quite chapped.

[​IMG]

This is the upper rear strut to the sidecar. Big hurky strut, nice stainless threaded adjusters, big aircraft swivels.

HELD TO THE BIKE WITH TWO 5/16" SCREWS!

:becca:hair:permazot:devildog:kboom:topes
  10. LC1

LC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some people don't have the oilfield mentality that when in doubt build it stout.
  11. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    I am very fortunate to have mostly a really great rig. Good design other than that weak point. I already have a fix in mind. It's just that dealing with that company with all the tall tales I was told, the original promise of 6 weeks that turned into 18, the quitting of the entire crew then the retirement of the founder followed by new management who told me that the first car was crap so they were going to build a new car. They did and it's beautiful. (eXcept for the !@#$%^&* screwz) and when I went to pick it up the boss was back and the secretary was fired and everyone was going like "What?"

Can't fool me. I watched Dallas. DMC sidecars is a fully owned subsidiary of Ewing Oil.
    shuckinator likes this.
  12. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks like the other bolt is tight and there is quite a bit of gap where the broken bolt is. Maybe some strain there? Doesn't look quite right to me. :hmmmmm
  13. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Looks like the plate took a set but the rest of it is double swivel and bolted so I believe if I just loosen the main bolts and then tighten existing bracket and bolts I will regain the original geometry like it came from the factory. It is then I apply certain technologies which Mr. LC1 and gentlemen of the heavy freight industry are intimately familiar. Like I've said before, technology requires specific tools, skill requires a hammer.

The bolt broke on a clean straight pull, didn't show any evidence of overtorque or that it had been working back and forth. The bolt broke inside the bent flange and there was no damage to the threads on the bike because the stub screwed out with fingers. Just plain undersized.
    Mcgee likes this.
  14. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good thing all this is happening at home! That's what shake downs are for. Not sure if stainless bolts are a good fit for this application tho.
  15. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    So spent some time looking things over. I saw a spacer in this space in an earlier picture. There is a 12mm offset between the two bolt surfaces. With the spacer in place and bolted the extra length the spacer provides gives the head of the bolt more of a lever arm.

[​IMG]

Back to original bolt up confing. The hole for the bolt was the same size as the bolt - no give - and the head of the first bolt that broke hit the weld fillet and was already stressed by being cocked to one side. Opened up to standard clearance hole size with ultra custom spacer.

[​IMG]

This is looking straight down on the strut arrangement and I am puzzling over why they are angled back so far and yet there is a bung on the sidecar frame lined right up with the upper fixture. My take is that somebody made up a strut that was too long and moved it back so as not to have to make another strut.

[​IMG]

The upper struts control the lean and that force would be perpendicular to the fore-aft centerline of the bike. With the strut angled back like that it introduces a bending moment. If it were attached at the original bung hole then the force would be more push and pull and the original bolts probably strong enough. Andy Granatelli lost his chance at winning the Indy 500 with his turbine car because of an $8 bearing.

Seems like there's a strain of premature brain death going around...
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  16. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Metalcarver you where speaking of stand up tents and cots the other day...do it!!! Ours is a Kelty cabin And some some cots. Made all the difference in the world! A chair and all our crap fits in there too. Cheers! 016F1199-A504-4AEF-8E8D-68D9EA242FAF.jpeg 88CB8CD6-53DF-405E-A668-B836EB7234DE.jpeg
    Mcgee likes this.
  17. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Yesss! I'm looking for that sort of system. On my recent overnighter a blackberry vine darted out and grabbed my ankle, and gravity made a mess of my knee. Many pretty colors now. But in a camping tent on my knees - my vocabulary devolved to single syllable declarations of displeasure.

So what size is that packed up? Almost went for that Coleman 6 man instant but that's a really big bag.
  18. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Is that the motorcycle camp in Utah?
  19. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.