The Geezer Factor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Figured i’d show a pic of the bag o poles. They arent the lightest because a couple of the main ones are steel but worth it to me. (Green bag) The tent itself is maybe 6 inches in diameter and about the length of inside tot which I believe is 27? Inches. I’m at work so cant get better info. I got it on closeout at REI online and if I remember was $250 or a bit more? 137120BB-EB33-49BA-AE4D-29705279319D.png And yeah you’d love 3 Step. A bit of a haul but we rode there this year and stayed 5 days!
    Bigbob1 and Metalcarver like this.
  2. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    I just googled Kelty camping cabin and a bunch of places have it for 150ish!
    Metalcarver likes this.
  3. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think DMC sidecars blew a flux capacitor. Every strut on the bike is angled back 45 degrees. The only thing holding the lean of the bike was the the torque on the strut bolts. Once I loosened all the bolts and clamped the mount back to the bike the original mounting bolt just fell into the hole so I'm assuming the geometry is good. such a contrast - the design is good, best handling sidecar I've been on. Quality welds - I'm certified nuclear NDT but DMC thinks I'm a dumb shit. Beautiful paint and excellent fiberglass and absolutely total brain dead setup. I had to wait 6 weeks to have sleeves made for the fork down tubes. An hours job. They had to special order alloy steel for the machinist to make the front axle. It's a piece of 4140 TGP available at online metals for $10. And to top it off the sidecar Jay sold me had been returned to him because it was the wrong color. It turns out it had been returned because of poor workmanship. They made a brand new one for me but the deceit still stings. The original job was estimated to take 6 weeks and I picked it up after 18 weeks.

So, I bolted up the mount and made some reinforcement clamps from hardened shaft collars and grade 8 bolts.

[​IMG]

The frame tube and the sidecar mount are at an angle so used round bar for the clamping bar.

And added a pony strut to brace the main strut so it's not trying to shear the mount off.

[​IMG]

I'll get another shop to make up a proper stut later. But lost more time and started farting around with sealing the rear wheel for tubeless. So prolly no big trip this year.
    LC1 and oldwyomingdude like this.
  4. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    That really sucks. Big time.
    LC1 likes this.
  5. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Can't afford to dwell on it. The outfit is probably too pretty for me. I've always been a beat to fit and paint to match sort of motorcyclist. Gonna go riding! It's supposed to be a cold dry fall. Death Valley not forcast to be over 100 in the next ten days. Once I get the new tire on (whew! -got a baja no pinch...) I'll be locked and loaded with my Colorado + trailer + Red Dwarf. Pretty much anywhere is on the list. Accomplices? I've seen the cold dry plant itself on the west where everything is frozen and dry and you can go anywhere you want. If you can keep warm.

Thumb's on the safety.
    Bigbob1 and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  6. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Reality sucks.

This is my self image as described above in heroic detail.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the mirror was kind of like those crazy house mirrors at Lagoon.

And the way the world sees all this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Steve_h likes this.
  7. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Looking maybe to head where the weather is more appropriate for my clothes. And it looks like there's still a lot of the country without snow. HERE.

I decided to see if I could field change the 150/70-18 and busting that bead was a b@@%&tch. I could spend the $50 and get a bead breaker but then I still have visions of having to do this in the rain on the side of the road and discretion being the better part of questionable decisions I did this:

That tape is incredibly sticky-gooey-better get it where you want it the first time. It even sticks to silicone.

The theory being that I only get little holes that can be plugged. Like this.
    [​IMG]

And it held air pressure overnight! So everything goes back together and gets packed and October is one week down. Shit. Anybody know where to store a truck safely around Death Valley?
    Bigbob1 likes this.