The Geezer Factor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Metalcarver, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff!! Schaffer trail.. yeah its a pucker factor...went down it 2 up and the rear brake got too hot and went out...extra pucker factor!! (Of course I didnt tell her til at bottom) Thanks for your great report!! Always a pleasure
    LC1 likes this.
  2. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Next year:

Cross the Owyhee desert.

Wasatch mountains north to south on the Skyline drive.

Hamilton, Nevada and surroundings.

La Pine, Oregon to Alturas, Ca

Steens Mt. and Alvord desert.

N. Idaho, Toboggan ridge - Montana Wansfel trail.

For starters.

Who's in?
    waylongway and LC1 like this.
  3. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Damn! Is that a slug stretched across the road waiting for you to make a move? Oh wait. It's a stick. Never mind.
    Mcgee likes this.
  4. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice trip. Thanks for taking us along.
  5. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    My 3M tape / silicone tubeless conversion held. Same pressure as when I left.
  6. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Camera: Most were taken with the Nikon D3500, a few with the canon quick shot and motorola G5+ phone.

Nikon photos were shot in RAW. They were processed with RawTherapee open source free software. I tried not to mess with any of the color controls and usually accepted the "dayliight" or "shade" white balance settings. When you go to the exposure tab there is a histogram down to the lower right and I adjust the exposure compensation so that all the data is pretty much in the middle of the histogram. The image that shows in the editor is usually washed out at this point so I use the lightness control to dim it down so that the picture looks "normal". Since it now has the camera's internal thinking of all the data it usually shows much richer colors and better saturation without touching any of those controls. I pull back the highlights and the lightness controls so that there is still a little detail in the highlights. Then I try to pull as much detail out of the shadows with the shadow/highlight controls below the histogram - without messing with highlight detail. Kind of a back and forth balance. Then there's a couple of "!" icons which I go back and adjust the highlights so that just a very few are washing out and same with the black so there is at least a small area of total black. Then if the colors are not quite right or boring I'll adjust the "vibrance" pastel color adjustment or saturation. If it takes any more than that then I skip it. There's a lot of pro photographers on here who know what they are doing and I do not. Just some tricks to be able to use some of these fantastic optics and sensors that are much bigger and better than the old 35mm stuff.
    thirsty 1 and dammitdave like this.
  7. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Great stuff. Thanks
  8. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    So I was kind of mulling the idea over of a "Geezerfest" somewhere in the mudiddle of nowhere. I have, however, noted the fate of anyone who volunteers for anything where unscrupulous motorcycle riders are concerned. No good deed will go unpunished. :deal Plausible deniability is the absolute rule!:evil:nod

However, I have met what I consider many life long friends amongst the unwashed. So, a couple of nights of a trapper style rendezvous with the realization that some of the coots just might fly right off the handle into the wilderness. Way the hell out there but easy enough for me. Which is pretty easy. Good ditches on the road for plausible deniability. No services, but spectacular camping spot. No witnesses. Everybody welcome but they have to know how to camp and bury shit. Since it would be geezers the upwind sites would go first. We could have a ceremony for people who don't want to be geezers.:2guns:annie

Concours d'elegance :dllama::ricky:topes:muutt:flush

1st prize would be a colonoscopy!
    Mcgee, LC1, Oldschoolrocker and 2 others like this.
  9. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Like for instance:

Magic School Bus 38° 4'27.07"N 110°48'45.48"W

Anderson Crossing 42° 7'58.92"N 117°18'43.85"W

White Pine River, NV bunch of sites 38°56'37.25"N 115°21'43.27"W

They would all answer the following condintions.

Why the hell would anyone want to go there? Thus minimizing competition.

Far enough away so that if you die getting there the rest of us will have plausible deniability since it will take several days to find you.

Easy enough so that you don't die getting there.

No nothing. Bring everything in, pack it out, bury your shit.

However, in order for this to work someone else needs to nominate some locations, giving me plausible deniability.
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  10. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    Thanks for the ride-along. Ride well. Be well.
    Metalcarver likes this.
  11. Stovebolt

Stovebolt Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer:
    Dave,

There goes my keyboard, once again.... some smears and a puddle - a mixture of drool and a few tears for the sake of "blending." A hearty hail and another SALUTE to you, my friend. You managed to punctuate an otherwise pseudo-crummy end-of-season with a magnificent short-term opus, as is both your talent and signature bent. We bow to your mastery at pulling it off. And, you return home not with war wounds, fog-brain or the weariness that a man half your age would be complaining of for his efforts, but rather a mixture of current routes to be tackled before the holidays are on us in full force!

"What's red and gooey and goes 100 miles per hour?"

"A millenial in a blender." For starters.

AVDrider-Salute high res.jpg

Here's me looking down to where you were at near Beatty, above Rhyolite. Marshal Byrd took this pic of me on "FYYFF Ridge" on the border of Death Valley. Your trip really takes me back. Miss ya buddy. Wish I was along for your ride.

Talk soon. Thanks for the stunning pics and pen! Happy Thanksgiving, Good Sir...

Stovey
    LC1 and thirsty 1 like this.