1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

The GO-SPORT adventure!

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by tobiism, May 26, 2016.

1. tobiism

tobiism Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello!!! I've been out of the game since late 2012 when I got taken out by a left turning cager. Ruined my new to me 1200 Bandit and just about destroyed my legs. But by the Grace of God and the strength of my wonderful wife I am still here. I have to admit I am still pretty terrified of riding on the streets but I love the idea of riding in the dirt. SO I decided to build a sporty adventure bike. I am no stranger to fabrication as I have built many bikes in the past, one of which you all may have seen here on ADVrider.com
    [​IMG]

Of course I am very familiar with the Jimmythehog and John Wesley builds. They have been a huge inspiration to me in this quest. I am starting with a frame that I built and basically learning as I go. I will be running a 2003 KTM 525 front end, custom built tubular +4" swingarm and 18 rear by 19 front Sun rims on harley hubs with heavy duty stainless spokes and just got in my TKC80 tires.
    Anyway here is what I have so far.
    frame with 883 engine(will have some head mods when converted to 1200)
    as far as more frame mods I will probably build the oil tank into the neck portion of the frame and the swingarm pivot is getting dropped 1.5" lower for better sprocket/pivot alignment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    wheels(I got a great deal on these, $500 already built!, thats why the front is going to be a 19" for now)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tires
    [​IMG]

Forks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway thats where I'm at so far and can't wait to see where this bike takes me. I live in Arizona and we have a ton of awesome roads to explore and go motocamping on.
    Hope you guys enjoy the show!
    ADVBedouin, yokesman and matty86suk like this.
  2. larryboy

larryboy Chopper Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm in.

:lurk
  3. Suitcase

Suitcase 2 wheeled hobo

Oddometer:
    Crafting a dream machine ... KUDOS Amigo ..
  4. mississippimadman

mississippimadman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be watching
  5. Austin hayes

Austin hayes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome start. looking forward to seeing your rear suspension system
  6. tobiism

tobiism Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Austin, me too! I won't know which direction I'm going to go until the swingarm is finished enough to mockup. It's being made right now.
  7. Nippirt

Nippirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love the idea of dropping the swing bolt... I'm going to put some brain power into that on my rubber build
  8. tobiism

tobiism Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah it definitely seems necessary. With the tall suspension in the rear seems like it will want to jack up every time you hit the gas.
    lowering the pivot point should alleviate that.
  9. madrider5150

madrider5150 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet, followed your other build on chopcult, just saw that bike again in the horse with nomad. Nice score on the wheels
  10. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Looking good
  11. tobiism

tobiism Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, something that NEVER happens, happened! This 48mm 2003 KTM 525 WP front end, BOLTED RIGHT IN. Bearing outer diameters were a direct match for the harley races. Tree stem absolutely the right length. It bolted in as easy as stock. WOW.
    Now that the forks are bolted in I can build the tank. When I figure out what I'm going to do for a rear shock(s?) I will send the forks out with the rear to get built for the bike's estimated and my actual weight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    kojack and mississippimadman like this.
  12. tobiism

tobiism Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im really liking the adjustability of these KTM risers.
    [​IMG]
  13. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boy that's nice that they bolted right up! With my luck whenever something goes right together I figure I must have missed something. I remember one time I put a 4spd trans in my old '72 capri and it slipped right in, clutch splines lined up, bell went right against the block first try. Didn't even hafta wiggle it! Had the crossmember and driveshaft back on and was finishing tightening the bell bolts when my cousin climbed out of the pit to put the shifter boot back on. "Is this the old throwout bearing?" he asked.
  14. rodteague

rodteague Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    good luck to ya; watching with interest.
  15. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:
    Nice! In!!
  16. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    In. This is going to be good ride. Thanks for bringing us along.
  17. tobiism

tobiism Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everybody! I'm waiting on a tube. Surprisingly no one around here had a tube for a 140/80-18!
  18. tobiism

tobiism Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also decided that I'm going to incorporate eccentric adjusters into the swingarm.
    Like this:
    [​IMG]
  19. never2old4fun

never2old4fun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb Cool. You got my attention!! Btw, really like the frame. It got to be lighter than the stock HD boat anchor.
  20. tobiism

tobiism Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Yeah pretty sure its lighter but I still need to do some more bracing and make a motor mount. We'll see!