1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grand Rally

Discussion in 'Racing' started by HogWild, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    Wow! I just stumbled on this Hog. I do hope you get this going again as I and a buddy of mine (old dez racers) are ready to start some nav rally.
    If/when you start this up again do you allow digital or only paper? I haven't bought the gear yet.

Moving from Idaho??
  2. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Currently all of my roadbooks are paper only, including all my SoCal/NV/AZ region training roadbooks. THE "paper" setup to get if you go that route. If you're interested in getting into rally, check out the Sonora Rally school (paper only). I recently moved from SoCal to Idaho.
    BucketHead and Shadowed_Stranger like this.
  3. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    Thanks Hog, the Sonora Rally school looks perfect and $$ discount as a rally volunteer. The Pan Am looks great also but just missed that.
    Although the digital road books look very nice, with only a couple of small rallies using them might as well invest in the paper setup.
    Love Idaho
  4. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    When does the prelim Recce start? Need beta testers ???? :y0! (not the red euro bike)
  5. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Ha ha, everyone always pushes me on that! Russ and I, and on one or two occasions a few very close friends, already rode most of the stages and verified the roadbooks (minus the missing tulips). I want to finish the tulips for those roadbooks so you guys can get out there and ride! Don't slow this down by pushing for more new stage recce/preruns!
    ZiaThunder, BucketHead and wrk2surf like this.
  6. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I restarted work on the roadbooks for Grand Rally, after years of being on the back burner. A new tool (yet to be released or divulged) has inspired me to get back to this project. The first roadbook to be converted to the new tool is the best stage so far, Stage 23, that a few of you did following the postponement of Diabolico. During the conversion process I found some more super cool terrain that is now integrated into the stage (see one new segment below).

One of my goals is to create stages that will be helpful for Dakar competitors like Skyler Howes, Ricky Brabec and Andrew Short to train on. The terrain in this region has a lot in common with Saudi Arabia, with super cool rock formations, wide open spaces, and other awesome desert features. Get ready pros!

My first trip to verify the first two or three updated roadbooks will likely be in Spring, so there's still a bit more waiting before the real fun starts. Unfortunately that trip will be limited to my core scouting crew of two or so very close friends, so the fun for the rest of you will have to wait a bit more. But at least you know it's coming!

upload_2021-1-18_10-53-39.png
  7. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    Joe Derosiers and I will gladly proof the routes
    Farioli and Strong Bad like this.
  8. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just make sure you don't miss that turn out of the wash and you end up going over that waterfall!!
    Farioli, rides2little and wrk2surf like this.
  9. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can’t wait!
  10. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    The last stage I created, one that hasn't been ridden yet, is named "Hundred Mile Wash". It's actually 155 miles (250km) long, all in a single non-stop sand wash. It's so twisty I figure it will take us 5 to 6 hours from the top of the wash to the bottom. This spot is a bit after the place we bail out of the wash . . .
    upload_2021-1-18_13-20-17.png

In one of the first stages we rode, we ended up going down a TINY waterfall with small steps and eventually had to turn back and go back up due to a route blockage. The waterfall spot was so slick from moss, we could hardly get back up. Phil B. destroyed his thumb in the process and had to bail out of the rest of the day. Here's Russ trying to get back up. It looks so easy, but I don't think anyone made it up without problems.
  11. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Here is a tiny section of "Hundred Mile Wash". It goes on and on and on like this. Can you imagine riding in a single sand wash for 255km!

As you might imagine, the roadbook for the wash is extremely short.
    upload_2021-1-18_13-44-12.png
  12. BucketHead

BucketHead Man-Camel

Oddometer:
    Awesome, Scott. Thank you.

Your roadbooks are beyond compare.
  13. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is pretty incredible Scott!
  14. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    The first roadbook using the new tools is done. Total length is 302km, with 365 roadbook notes. It's based off the original Stage 23 but with a lot of new fun and challenging additions, with several awesome sand washes, more OP (HP) through dunes, and the same mars-like rock formations we have seen before. This vid that Matthew Glade posted earlier shows one of the sand washes on this stage. The improved route doubles the length of this wash.

Roadbook sample of a difficult navigation section 5 minutes from the start:
    upload_2021-1-21_9-28-32.png
  15. LC4Dakar

LC4Dakar Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will you get lost if the cow wanders off or dies?
  16. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Ok, now the cow may or may not be visible :-)
    upload_2021-1-21_12-26-5.png
  17. apexfiend

apexfiend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This looks amazing. If you need truck based assistance with any of it I'll be more than happy to come up from Phoenix, since I'll be off work (and bikes) for about 6 months with a new shoulder.
  18. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a great project. I had not seen this thread before and enjoyed reading thru your process for making roadbooks. Thank you for giving us a glimpse into how you made your roadbooks. We are really lucky to have tools such as Rally Navigator and Tulip to cut out a lot of that labor. Even with them, creating a roadbook is a huge job for just a short section. Thank you for leading the way!

I look forward to hearing more about your routes as you get them more proofed and "tulip-ed". Thank you for your hard work. The area around the Grand Canyon is some beautiful terrain with a lot of variety in landscape, elevation and vegetation.
    RenoMoto likes this.
  19. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    I'm doing some Google Earth scouting on Stage 24 today before I start that roadbook. We first preran that stage in 2013 with my old style roadbooks that didn't have the tulip drawings completed. But after 8 years I'm seeing that some of the roads have changed, and as I tweak the original route I'm finding a few more gems that I'm adding into the route. This is one of the gems that was in the original route that will stay in it. The GE image doesn't accurately represent the terrain since it tends to smooth out steep walls. The edges of this are straight off cliffs. This peninsula is about 100 meters high. At the skinny spot near the end of the red line, it's only about 1 meter wide. Last time everyone was too chicken to ride out to The END. As I sit in my cozy office at home, my confidence is high, I'm going for it next time! :-)
    upload_2021-1-24_17-46-46.png

Stage 24 is currently 467km (290mi). Given the difficult terrain and challenging navigation, I expect it will be tough to ride the whole stage without finishing in the dark. And when we rode it last time, everyone ran out of gas right near the end. We all limped in with dribble of gas from the reserve gas bottle I had on my rear fender rack.

Earlier today I emailed with Skyler Howes, asking about the Dakar 2021 roadbooks. He said he would like me to add in more CAP MOY navigation challenges into Grand Rally roadbooks, which was one of the features that tripped everyone up in Dakar this year. Stage 4 from this project goes right through St George, Utah where he lives, so he's raring to go on any of these stages once they are ready. I'm wondering how it will work out for us regular people if I have Dakar-like navigation challenges that even the top pros have trouble with!
  20. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    I more or less like that..
    WIsixfitty and Sam Hayes like this.