The Grand Tour. South America in 100 days.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by muf722, Nov 14, 2017.

1. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    G0136798.JPG

The ferryman helping with the push off the ramp. Never easy balancing the heavy bike rolling backwards on dirt.

IMG_2711.JPG

Todays destination was chosen strictly from number of kilometers and location to next days ride. I didn´t check for hotels or anything else. Ending up in Huari was bad. Absolutely no decent accommodation or restaurants. The room I got was dirty, had a bad bed and no other furniture. No bathrooms and the toilet in the yard had no running water. Here I´m having coffee at the towns shopping center of sorts. My stomach is strong but not that strong.

G0147148.JPG

My plan today was going 140 km west of the main road and attack the Salar de Uyuni from north, across and then back east. 170 km of salt desert. Reaching this point, I suddenly realize I´m not up for it. Too many unknowns. The lightning storm in front of me, can you ride the salt when wet?, and my stomach telling me to turn around. I end up going to Uyuni without riding the salt.

IMG_2728.PNG

Instead I play around with my drone.
    powderzone, Parcero and Dracula like this.
  2. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    IMG_2725.JPG

All 4K video editting will have to wait until I´m home since the netbook i have is way too slow.

IMG_2771.JPG

Goat/Llama crossing. And scattered rain showers.

IMG_2772.JPG

Going to a small town for lunch is muddy business. The heavy rain from last night have this effect on all dirt road towns. Now I feel I made the right decision by not going for the unknown conditions of the salt.

DSC01978.JPG

Dakar signs are everywhere. For some reason its the old ones from 2016. Uyuni will be goal town again in mid january 2018
    Parcero and Dracula like this.
  3. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    DSC01988.JPG

In Uyuni, I treat myself to a nice hotel made of salt. Bricks, furniture and the in room art, all made of salt. The salt may be tougher than I thought. The night is mostly spend in the bathroom with the runs. Next day I ask for an extension, but the hotel is full, and I have to move to another hotel. I spend most of this day in bed.

DSC01980.JPG

Its just before Christmas, and the market has brought in people from afar.

DSC01984.JPG

Maybe an upgrade to a water cooled GS. Nah, I´ll stick with my air cooled.

DSC01985.JPG

2 years old and falling apart.
    powderzone, Parcero and Dracula like this.
  4. Dracula

Dracula Dust in the wind

Oddometer:
    I enjoy following along :lurk .. maybe one day I'll do something like this, on a Guzzi. :dunno
    muf722 likes this.
  5. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    IMG_2778.JPG

Late afternoon on the second day, and my stomach finally accepts a tour on the salt. I carry less luggage and the sun has come out. Succes.

IMG_2730.JPG

I got the drone this year, so I still don´t know exactly what it can do. I fly it for approx. 45 min.

IMG_2763.JPG

I had fun.

IMG_2783.JPG

After all the mud and now salt, the bike needs a wash. I´m told to go to the edge of town near the prison.
  6. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    From my avatar, I think you can see, that my other bike is a Guzzi. I hope to ride it to Mandello del Lario, italy for the 100 year anniversary.
  7. Don T

Don T Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report - thank you for sharing.

Forsat god tur :-)
    muf722 likes this.
  8. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    Tak Don T

Jeg har fulgt alle dine ture på din hjemmeside og en af dine RR på denne side er den direkte årsag til at jeg selv fik lyst at prøve med en reportage.
    Don T likes this.
  9. Dracula

Dracula Dust in the wind

Oddometer:
    Nice. I have two Stelvio NTX in my garage. (one needs new clutch - long story here it will help you fall asleep) This after 10 years of GS 1200 that I rode everywhere in US, Canada, and to Alaska. I am thinking in few years ship one Guzzi to Europe and tour all over for few months, I hope to do it. I wish you safe travels and will follow along your ride report.
    muf722 likes this.
  10. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    IMG_2784.JPG

Car wash is big business in this area, and the 4x4s are waiting in line. The crew will add grease to vital points.

IMG_2785.JPG

As some has pointed out. The fender will not keep the bike from becoming dirty.

G0177476.JPG

Leaving Uyuni, you want to pass Potosi which is dirty and dusty and go straight to Sucre which is nice and beautiful.

IMG_2772.JPG

My secure parking in Sucre. Arriving on the 23rd of December, I will take a break and spend Christmas here
    Dracula and Parcero like this.
  11. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    IMG_2771.JPG

My nice hotel in an old building. Restored with furniture from museums. Really high score on booking.com.

IMG_2769.JPG

Sucre was Bolivias first capital, and I get to learn a little about its history. The bird is a Condor and you see a lot of them around.

IMG_2768.JPG

Historic center.

IMG_2766.JPG

The declaration of independence. Bolivia has been plagued by dictators, corrupt leaders, loosing wars and is today without a sea connection.
    The present president is thinking about a 4th term even if that has been voted illegal.

24 December 2017
    I celebrate Christmas eve in Sucre with my family thanks to a conference video call on Skype between Bolivia, Denmark and Australia.

Since I got the bike out of customs, this is the first rest day where I do not touch the bike.
  12. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    G0018372.JPG

Todays route from Sucre to the small town of Samaipata is largely unpaved. A long section to Villa Serrano is copplestoned.

DSC01990.JPG

Most is dirt. This road is marked as a major route on my paper map.

DSC01991.JPG

At lunch time, I choose this nice view as a place to warm some food. No villages or houses for hours.

DSC01993.JPG

Camping equipment coming in handy again. I also need to change the headlight bulb that broke earlier today.
    joenuclear, Dracula and Parcero like this.
  13. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    DSC01994.JPG

My only spare bulb is one I have carried since 2013 from my southern Africa tour. Its slightly bend but functions! I better buy a new one at next service. I can guess it will be dark before I reach Samaipata tonight with todays slow progress.
    IMG_2792.PNG

Todays drone flying almost resulted in a drone crash. When going backwards, there´s no anti collision protection and it hit some bushes on the embankment but self recovered. No damage.

IMG_2795.PNG

Going around the next corner, it lost signal and decided to return to home which was now 10 min away. I had to turn around, to abort the auto return.

DSC01997.JPG

After 5 hours, I follow this river. One more hour of dirt to go.
    Parcero, joenuclear and Dracula like this.
  14. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    IMG_14381.png

Anyone recognize this young medical student? Ernesto went on a motorcycle tour of south America at this age with a buddy and wrote a RR called Motorcycle Diaries. What he experienced, shaped his political views, and he would become "Che".

DSC01998.JPG

My route today has been on Ruta del Che. His last hiding place was here in the mountains of Bolivia. CIA learned of his location, and paid to have him killed.

DSC01999.JPG

La Higuera was the place of the showdown. The bodies were moved some 20 km to Vallegrande to a hidden grave until it was found, building an airport.

DSC02001.JPG

Vallegrande. On Christmas day and everything is closed. The memorial inside a gate. With an hour of daylight left, I better get a move on, since I still have 120 km to go. When darkness fell, it became dangerous. Large potholes, cows and what not on unlighted roads. Even with my working headlight, its 3rd gear, slow and scary. I promise to myself not to ride in the dark again.
    DavidM1, Don T, Dracula and 1 other person like this.
  15. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    DSC02002.JPG

The evening in Samaipata is spend with a guy from Holland and a girl from Costa Rica. Next morning in the shower and one of the better looking showerheads I have seen. Common in all countries so far and often with exposed wires.

G0059393.JPG

My direction is east. I´ll cover the continent from the Pacific to the Atlantic. Planning to be in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil by new years. The road near Santa Cruz should be paved, but its mostly roadworks and gravel.

DSC02003.JPG

Rock formations along the way.

DSC02004.JPG

In Santa Cruz I stop only for lunch. East of Santa Cruz, Bolivia is flat and have a lot of national parks called Area Natural. And the one road going east/west to the border of Brazil. On that road, only small towns and I will take one night in San Jose de Chiquitos.
    Dracula and Parcero like this.
  16. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    IMG_1454.JPG

After check in, Joey the owner of the hotel, takes me to another of his hotels in town, so I can use the pool. A 4 star to open in a few months. Homemade waterfall being installed.

IMG_1459.JPG

Joey has been to the USA for education and has 3 children with a selection of women. I forget to return the room key. Its now in the mail.

IMG_1458.JPG

The doctor father, and the head of a resourceful family. He was kind enough to share cheese, wine and other treats with me. I learn of the doctor strike in Bolivia. The government has passed a new law that criminalizes doctors who make errors. Well its human to err, so now they refuse to work.

DSC02005.JPG

The flat straight road to the border. Joey promise me an easy border crossing, so it should be lunch in Brazil and a chance to get away from the border for the night. Well. It was not to be.
  17. Parcero

Parcero Mundial

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I think “suicide shower” is the technical term for those electrically heated shower heads.

I’m loving your report. Unless your postings are late, you’re about two weeks ahead of me but going in the opposite direction.
    powderzone and muf722 like this.
  18. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    My report hovers around a 10 day delay. Tomorrow I will be in Foz do Iguacu. Border to Argentina.

So where are you?
    Parcero likes this.
  19. Don T

Don T Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    Any plans of visiting the Dakar Rally?
  20. Parcero

Parcero Mundial

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    At the moment I’m in Chicago but will be flying to Mendoza in a week to pick up my moto and begin another stage of my trip, heading north along Ruta 40 into Bolivia.