The Great Big SPOT Thread

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by John E Davies, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    DeLorme.
  2. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Harvey Mushman

Oddometer:
    huh?

[​IMG]
  3. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:

None of those maps will send out an emergency signal and have the cavalry to the rescue. None of those maps will send a tracking pin to a webpage so your family can see where you are at.

I think you have SPOT confused with a GPS that has maps on it.
  4. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Harvey Mushman

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  5. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    Right. Quite long time since my last use, couple months. I have left it under VERY clear sky, open area, for around 2 hours :deal. I also do some restarts, pressing the message button for sometimes. No worky :cry:cry:cry
    Ah, I also tried some different days as well to avoid any issue of the satellites themselves. Same thing.

Many people tell me to switch to InReach. Obviously that's more advantage than SPOT. Sort of two ways comm, and provide continuous tracking.
    Expensive though :wink: :cry :deal :evil
  6. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just returned from a 2500 mile road trip and SPOT worked great. Thankfully did not need the SOS :lol3
  7. tricepilot

tricepilot El Gran Payaso

Oddometer:
    I hear that the SPOT folks are furiously working on adding two way texting to their next model (SPOT Gen 4) due to the very fact that so many are jumping ship to the inReach for this feature alone. It appeared that the SPOT folks were counting on the SPOT phone to fill the comm gap, but that meant carrying 2 devices with 2 payment plans. There's your expensive. One device with tracking and comm (plus of course 911) made/makes more sense.

Expensive is a relative term. Currently, only Delorme offers flexible plan changes during the year as well as the ability to "ice" your account (not be charged) for the months you are not using the device. With SPOT, you pay up for the entire year whether or not you're using the device.
  8. BryceB

BryceB It's OK, we know the Mayor!

Oddometer:
    What ever happened to the Spot Connect? It had 2-way
    http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116
  9. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
  10. tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I think SPOT's mistake was offering all these separate gadget choices

The Delorme inReach allows 2-way texting, breadcrumb tracking, and 911

BUT! You can bet that SPOT WILL come out with something to compete with the inReach. Just be aware it will be on a completely separate satellite system - Globalstar - and the inReach uses the Iridium network.

I'm sure the difference between these two networks has been discussed here before.....

I've owned all the SPOT generation models and they've all worked well and they've never let me down BUT with the advent of 2 way texting via Delorme, I've had to jump ship.

The main reason is this: you push 911 on SPOT and you have to sit back and cross your fingers.

You push 911 on inReach and you begin a 2 way conversation to verify your location, your situation, and the fact that help is indeed on its way and the ETA etc. In any real emergency situation, that is invaluable.

Consumers benefit from corporate competition. Look to see what SPOT does to out chess move Delorme in the future. They won't let market share move too far away, is my bet.

Perhaps SPOT will come out with something that will draw customers back from Delorme. I hope they try. Until then, I'm sticking with one unit that is the best of satellite network, 2 way comm, and ease of use.

All Y'alls personal mileage, and opinions, may vary....
  11. BryceB

BryceB It's OK, we know the Mayor!

Oddometer:
    D'oh.. that's right.
  12. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    The "ice" option is pretty cool. Also subject to how much they charge us to "ice" and "un-ice" our account. :lol3
    Recently I saw a thread somewhere people asking for "rent/borrow" the SPOT device/account. I think that's great idea for people like me, not many rides (which really need SPOT), can share the cost with someone who really need it, and just for certain duration of their rides only.
  13. tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Fair point

I'm also of the opinion that we, here in 2015, are only at the jumping off point for global comm connectivity and that SPOT and Delorme type devices will be dinosaurs. We're not all that far away from global cell and internet blanket coverage.
  14. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Global coverage? 2min on the motorbike and I'm out of range.
    I could go for an all day ride on public roads and have 20 min of coverage.
  15. tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Let me help you out, Tesla: "We're not all that far away" is the operative phrase.

The day is coming when global comm and data delivery for the masses at cheap prices will be common. Sat phones are already here but too expensive for the everyman. That problem will be solved.

Those near future global comm phones will render SPOT and inReach obsolete.
  16. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    Purchased Spot 2 on eBay . New. Before activating it I set it outside and turned it on.
    Seems to acquire satellites.

Pressed MSG button which started flashing and GPS lit up.
    Is it good to go and activate at http://findmespot.com ?????

Manual states to use AAA lithium batteries.
    Alkaline batteries do not work?
  17. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    You should be good to go once you register it. Not sure if you can really tell before you register, but it sounds like it's doing what it should.

As for batteries, you should stick with Lithium. You will find a significantly shorter battery life using alkaline and Alakaline's tend to die very quickly when they are subject to very cold temps, so again your SPOT could fail you when you need it most.
    Old_Lion likes this.
  18. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    It is working. Device is in the lawn . Sent OK msg with coordinates to my email under which it is registered.

Now I need to figure out how to send it to family members.
    Am unable by clicking through the menu (s) to locate the option of adding email addresses and/0r phone numbers.

George
  19. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Login to your SPOT account and click on "My Devices". You'll a vertical menu with both Orange & Green buttons. The Orange menu are "Device Settings" with Name & Social Networks and then under that menu items, you'll see in a greenish color "Message Profiles" with more menu items. Set up a Message profile first and then below that you'll see "Check in/OK", & Help/SPOT Assist" menu items. You can setup multiple profiles with different people that get alerted. For example I have a solo profile, a profile for when my wife is with me, or a trip profile. Under each of those menu items, you setup the default message to send and who you want to send it to. You can add e-mail or mobile number. Keep in mind for mobile number, you need to know the carrier.
    Old_Lion likes this.
  20. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much. It is greatly appreciated.
    Set up is complete.

George