The Great Big SPOT Thread

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by John E Davies, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Everett49

Everett49 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can still buy the SE model (No GPS) from Garmin. I just bought one from Amazon for about $240.
  2. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Bummer, I might have gone that way, but searched the Delorme site, which is now Garmin and they didn't list the older models available any longer, just the new ones.
  3. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    I too love Spotwalla. When I got home from a trip I added pictures to individual locations. In my case I hosted my .JPG photo files on my own web site then entered the URL of the .JPG file. Here is an example, click on any little camera icon and you'll see a thumbnail image, then click on the thumbnail image and you'll see the full sized image: Snooker Baja 2012 (a Spotwalla trip "map").

Note that it only shows a single JPG image, like I want.

Ok now I'm headed on another trip and I want a simpler way to do this while on the trip. I want to upload images from my Android phone to a picture hosting service (I'll need a small thumbnail size and a larger size, so I need something to size them), then on my Spotwalla page I can add the picture URLs (thumbnail and full size) to a particular location.

But I can't find a hosting service that works well for this, I have no experience with them, but I tried (the new) Google Photos and also Flickr and instead of having a URL to a single JPG file, they each go to a photo page (like a photo in an album that then lets you browse around each album). I don't want that I just want a single picture available. How do I do this? Maybe I have not captured the correct URL. Here are examples of what I mean:

A Google photo page URL: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMgxuH4dOGriq5r7btdCentEEyEiVEJJU89lw4z

A Flickr photo page URL: https://www.flickr.com/photos/40075155@N03/32805653381/

Now I've experimented some more with Flickr and kindof found how to get the photo URL, but only from the browser interface, but not from my Flickr app on my Android phone. I can post more but it's confusing enough already.

If anybody understands this please comment anything. Spotwalla is so much better than the Spot interface for mapping a trip, both real-time during a trip and later to save it for posterity. And adding pictures is great so you know the picture at the map location. It's not a travel blog but I personally don't want to write a lot of text while I'm traveling but am willing to add a picture here or there so family and friends can see what I'm up to.
  4. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep ... they have been doing that for a year or so now and suggesting it was for updating of their equipment. I called to complain last year but was not as successful as you. My buddy got it reversed and a $50 discount! I am going to try again.
  5. snooker

Oddometer:
    I just called and got the same thing. However my plan just paid up last week for all of next year, so the $50 discount goes to my NEXT renewal.
  6. snooker

Oddometer:
    I love it when I end up answering my own question, so I'll put it here for posterity. After about an entire day of investigation, I gave up on Google Photo, could never find a URL to a single JPG photo page.

I finally did get Flickr to work to find the photo page URL, but NOT from my Android phone. It is easy in a Chrome browser (I used both a Mac or an Android tablet) but I could not find the links in a Chrome browser on my Android phone (because it would move from the flickr.com site to the mobile m.flickr.com site which did not have the options). It did work from my Android tablet, which I will take on my trip along with my phone. I did not try other browsers. It is NOT possible to find the URL in the Flickr App on my android phone or tablet.

Here are the directions for how to find a photo URL at flickr.com in a browser:
    https://help.yahoo.com/kb/flickr/sln15714.html

Here is an example of a photo page URL in Flickr: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/481/32939400236_91032670f4_b.jpg

From a location in Spotwalla you need to add 2 URLs, for a small photo and a large one. Flickr creates multiple sized photos for you, from the single photo you upload. I found that for the small one, the Square (150 x 150) sized image looks good.

I have written down the entire process to take a photo, upload it to Flickr from my Android phone, the use my Android tablet to add it to an album and then to add photos to specific spot tracking locations on a Spotwalla trip.
    So PM me with your email address if you want a set of detailed instructions that worked for me.

p.s. SmugMug might be easier I don't know, but it is not free and I don't need it for anything else.
  7. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a very simple question. Can a spot gen3 function as a basic PLB with no subscription? I already have an ACR GPS PLB I am satisfied with, but my father-in-law gave me a spot for Christmas, and I don't want to pay a recurring fee. Their website implies you have to have a subscription, but I thought it might be an unadvertised feature like how you can dial 911 on a cell phone without a service plan.
  8. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not an expert but pretty sure without a subscription the SPOT is pretty much a paper weight. I suspect like having a cell phone without a service provider.
  9. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    But a cell phone without service still contacts 911 if necessary.
  10. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes ... good point but pretty sure SPOT will not function. It is truly "pay as you go" I believe. They really are selling the "service" and pretty much make the units almost a throw in.
  11. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Harvey Mushman

Oddometer:
    I think the only way you'll get an accurate answer is to call SPOT's customer service.
  12. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    And even then the odds are 50/50, Spot Customer Service being what it is.
    HardWorkingDog likes this.
  13. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gift the Spot you got gifted to some acquaintance, not to a friend. ;)
  14. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    I almost wrote that originally, but sounded too cynical...didn't want to sound like the grumpy old guy I am.

:lol3

And it's not just SPOT...almost no one does customer service very well once they get that big.
  15. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    My son in law asked about getting a SPOT for Christmas, knowing I'm a long-time user.

I bought him an inReach.
    joefromsf and 250senuf like this.
  16. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The SPOT is an amazing tool and one everyone should have if they travel my motorcycle, hike, etc. It works! And I speak from experience. Thankfully the actual SPOT service is better than their "customer" service. If you have an extra SPOT give it to some you know who does not have one.
  17. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    It does work, you're right. I have one and use it whenever I'm on a trip.

But when it comes time to replace it, I think the inReach is a better tool.
    250senuf likes this.
  18. slane6

slane6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was planning on buying a SPOT for my trip to Alaska this summer, but have been offered an older inReach by the person I am buying the bike from. It is an older inReach 1.5 - are those still a valid option and can I get service for it? Also, one of the nice things with the spot was you could buy the rescue insurance for only $15 - is there a similar option with inReach?[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  19. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Interesting. The folks at Spot must have seen a downturn in subscribers, as I just received an e-mail from them, "Come Back to SPOT and Get Free Service!" with a promo code. Tempting it is, but then when that's done, you're back to their exorbitant unreasonable subscription costs.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  20. coolgreany

coolgreany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Darn, I should have waited. They offered a year for $50 a month ago so I bit as I'm planning to use it for a trip this summer.
    Dan Diego likes this.