The Great F!ck Off

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by random1781, Aug 13, 2021.

1. random1781

random1781 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You ever sit down at the end of the day, look around at all the crap you have, and think to yourself, "fuck this"? If so, you know where we're at. If not and you want some encouragement, live in DC for a while! We planned on doing this next spring (end of the summer isn't the best time to start out), but after having our bikes stolen (but recovered!), it was time. Enough of kicking the can down the road doing weekend trips and watching motorcycle youtube videos at home.

On a 790S is my partner @Pad Kitty Mao, and on a 1290SAR are the dog Surak and myself.

What's the plan? Right now it's camping our way west and then south until there is no more south, then across the the Atlantic and up the next continent. Of course this is all subject to what happens along the way and whatever we're feeling. We're not big on hammered out, detailed plans so much as having a vague direction to go.

That said, knowing what's around you is important, and in this vein I'm constantly adding stuff to the map so we can look at it and connect the dots. Thanks to the inmates here, the dirt riding is looking pretty good:

map.png

Obviously there are people to see and things to do along the way, and we're always looking for suggestions or folks to ride or have a beer with, so send 'em! Surak says he's also looking for other dogs to chill with.

I'll be posting updates here periodically. Everyone starts off with sexy pictures of bikes and gear and stuff, but I'll end this initial post with the most stressful part of this:

home.jpg
    ...all the junk that needs to be not here in a few days. Anybody want some?

Hope to see y'all out there along the way!
  2. Soil Sample

Soil Sample Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Crash space and good beer here in SLC if you come through here. On-On!
    random1781 likes this.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was there and snagged a bunch of BMW parts. What is left is still impressive!

Very nice people, and I am totally following their trek! :thumb
  4. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good Luck on your Journey! I have plenty of all of that! lol.
    random1781 likes this.
  5. Whiteeyelashes

Whiteeyelashes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll take the puppy! :jack
    Dirt2007, Geschift, WoofWoof and 2 others like this.
  6. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="
    ...all the junk that needs to be not here in a few days. Anybody want some?

Hope to see y'all out there along the way![/QUOTE]

i’ll take the lego imperial shuttle…

and the fireplace tool set, if nobody else wants them.
    gpfan and random1781 like this.
  7. random1781

Oddometer:
    How did you know?? We just where's waldoed that picture looking for traces.

He does run towards the sound of a motorcycle starting up. He's partial to the GSs and now KTMs for some reason.

Bonus b-wing available too! USPS will make sure they come ready for you to reassemble.
    gpfan and snglfin like this.
  8. Soil Sample

Soil Sample Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm a hasher and home brewer and I follow her on IG. ;)
    PapaDontPreach and random1781 like this.
  9. Motochimp

Motochimp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok... I get it.
  10. random1781

Oddometer:
    Update...furniture and the panniers that are so mangled that they allowed enough water to get inside that it caused the chocolate chip cookies that I was so excited about eating when we got to camp to get soaked are on the curb for bulk pickup tomorrow.

4096-2754-max.jpg

Couple more days to go and a couple bottles to kill before then.
    scudo, Effendi, gpfan and 5 others like this.
  11. random1781

Oddometer:
    I never expected getting rid of stuff would take so long, but after a few weeks, we've finished:

PXL_20210824_203135829.jpg

What we absolutely didn't plan for was the amount of time we spent hanging out with friends. Folks coming over to say bye turned into late beer runs, which meant late starts to the next day. But great times were had, and that added pressure encouraged us to move fast.

We were delayed a day, but yesterday we finally finished packing. We got suited up, and our big departure, the moment we've been working towards, started like this...

DSC07454~2.jpg

So we unsuited, I unloaded my bag (of course I put the multimeter on the bottom), and hunted down some jumper cables. Turns out a relay I added failed open and drained the battery of @Pad Kitty Mao's bike.

But fortunately we set out thirty minutes later. We're now in Charlottesville, VA for a few days. My brother is kindly building a platform for Surak to replace the crappy kennel that I bolted on.
    scudo, Effendi, BrockEvan and 12 others like this.
  12. random1781

Oddometer:
    Well, we're over a week and a half after setting out, and nothing has gone to plan, as is tradition.

We spent a week at my brother's place, which was much more than expected, but it was a great time. Got some riding in, got to hang out, and got some sweet custom modz for the bike which have been insanely practical and awesome.

The dog's new seat is awesome. It's an aluminum stainless and stainless angle frame with fiberglass/carbon fiber paneling with cutouts for PALS/MOLLE pouches:

PXL_20210830_021934946.jpg

Plenty of space for Surak to sprawl out, and being able to strap stuff onto the side of it has made packing and day-to-day life so much easier. A lot of the commonly-used (cables, zip ties, doodads) or important stuff (first aid, bottle opener), or the bulky stuff (chairs) that we have that but don't want to put in the soft bags can be strapped to the side.

PXL_20210831_134820504.jpg

As cool as all of this has been, probably the most helpful part of that week was having a chance to actually pack for this trek. Yes, we shoved our bags full of stuff and bungeed the rest on, but between liquidating our lives, cleaning up the apartment, and tying up loose ends, actually packing our bikes seemed like an afterthought. I packed heavy knowing that I would be ditching (and using!) stuff along the way.

Having a place that wasn't ours with finally no stress to pack and repacking the bikes to get everything right(er) was immeasurably helpful. Essentially in a couple evenings/PBR cases we came up with a pretty decent layout that has held up pretty well, and this has made life awesome.

After all was done, we bee-lined to the MABDR for some of the first dirt we've done in a bit. It took a few miles to warm up and get used to hauling our lives around instead of a weekend trip worth of stuff, but it all came back quickly.

Most importantly, this goodish boy has seemed to have taken to his new throne pretty well...

PXL_20210831_192413129.jpg
    TownPump, SirLancelot, NSFW and 33 others like this.
  13. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    IN! :lurk:ricky:freaky
    random1781 likes this.
  14. MotoSly

MotoSly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    in big time!!!!!!
    random1781 likes this.
  15. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    N!
  16. Surcease

Surcease Fng

Oddometer:
    random1781 and Whiteeyelashes like this.
  17. Delta_Rider

Delta_Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is an adventure I'm excited to follow. My wife and I think the dog tagging along with the goggles is fantastic.
    MotoSly, Wattner and random1781 like this.
  18. nutmagnet

nutmagnet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy trails,in.
    random1781 likes this.
  19. random1781

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the encouragement y'all! Trying to get into the groove here and figure out how to do all of this.

Today we splurged on a hotel in Lexington, KY hoping to check some local city life out, but on account of how rapidly we've lost our concept of "days of the week," a lack of planning, and that most places are closed on monday and tuesday, there weren't as many options as we had hoped. We did get to a couple places, but after a homeless guy showed up with a streak up the back of his shirt that was suspiciously similar to this...

brown-note.png

...we got some wine at the Kroger across the street, and, well, here we are.

To backtrack and catch up, our first real week out was interesting. We were following the Tour de Coalfields when we went the wrong way and had to U-turn (also tradition). When we did, the truck that had been weirdly following us for the last ten minutes pulled up next to us. Turns out it was a local couple who both had KTMs also, and we wound up meeting up at a brewery later on. Word of a family emergency came right about the time we all sat down, and long story short they graciously hosted us for the evening and offered all the help while we figured out what to do.

Without delving into all the details, we pushed on but are hand-railing bigger cities in case we need to take a break and fly out. We got some good riding in to occupy idle thoughts, and some obstacles to vent on:

DSC07542.jpg

We picked up the Kentucky Adventure Tour around Matewan, WV, detouring to a brewery in Pikeville, KY where we met a traveled South African and had beers with. After more KAT, we holed up near Red River Gorge at a campground a DRZ rider we shared dinner with showed us and spent some time trying out the trails around the Daniel Boone National Forest. We just scratched the surface of DB, but it was fantastic. Spaas Creek Run was a good mix of mud, rocks, and weaving in and out of the dry-ish creek:

DSC07610.jpg

All of this was really helped in dealing with everything else going on. Getting slapped with some pavement-to-technical sections helped both focus and also getting even more familiar with our setups, but more than anything, the number of chance encounters with folks along the way that offered help or advice or conversation really galvanized our decisions both to do this and over the past week.
    scudo, Frey Bentos, rudy4pl and 18 others like this.
  20. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Meeting people on the road is one of my favorite parts of traveling by bike. It seems that riding solo makes one much more approachable than even with one other person, but in your case Surak will break down a lot of barriers!

Congrats on getting started. That seems to be the hardest part.