The Great F!ck Off

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by random1781, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Samanjo

Samanjo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed
    Travel safe
    random1781 likes this.
  2. random1781

random1781 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's talk about some truths in motorcycling that we could all get behind, but probably won't.

Today's is regarding headsets. Buying a motorcycle headset is like paying for a wrapped up Willy Wonka dog turd and hoping you find the golden one, or at least one that isn't wet.

It's pretty much Cardo and Sena, and it's pretty much $400 for a pair. Sometimes you luck out and have a perfect, golden experience, other times you don't. They don't work, or maybe worse, they work intermittently without enough consistency to troubleshoot. You swear you'll never buy this brand again but then realize there are only two of them, and just as many people hate the other brand and swear they'll never use that one as the one you're using.
  3. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the traveling with the puppy. I did that for 10 years. This I have no doubt will be amusing. Take Care Petepilot
    Whiteeyelashes and random1781 like this.
  4. mechahayai

mechahayai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Cardo Bold, an old Sena 10 or something and two Uclear sets for my wife's and my modular helmets. The Bold is great, but I rarely use it. It's always on my Arai street helmet, but I don't listen to music and seldom do calls when on the bike. Of them all, the Uclear has been the best bang for the buck. I've had them for 10 years and they have never let me down. Not perfect, not the best, but they still hold a charge and are good for 12+ hours of talk. Best speakers out of all brands without a doubt. Boomless is what it is. There's good and bad but, If I could combine the features of Cardo and the versatility/reliability of the Uclear I'd have the system to beat all systems.
    How much does your dog weigh? I have an awesome lab I'd love to take with me, but she's just shy of 100lbs. That would be a lot of weight wiggling around back there.
    random1781 likes this.
  5. mechahayai

mechahayai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We're also about 4hrs west of your last reported location here in Cadiz, KY, which is just a few miles away from Land Between the Lakes National Recreational Area. Lots of riding/camping/boating out here. We're pretty dog friendly too! Let me know if you're in the area.
    random1781 likes this.
  6. random1781

Oddometer:
    Yep, our guy is right on 50 lbs...big enough that he can hold his own, but also perfectly portable. I definitely feel it when he shifts, but it's nothing that's make or break regarding handling, and if anything, it's comforting to feel him shifting around to know that he's okay. Double the weight would definitely make a difference, but it really comes down to all the details...what riding are you doing and for how long, how adaptable and chill is she, and most importantly how you put her back there. With this setup, he has room to shift - stand up, sit down, curl up, whatever. On his old setup he was essentially confined to sitting up or laying down, so there weren't any big movements. Other setups like the K9 Moto Cockpit encourage pretty static positions too, which is probably better for bigger dogs.
    Bapeter11 likes this.
  7. gpfan

gpfan a mari usque ad mare

Oddometer:
    217.jpg
  8. random1781

Oddometer:
    After a couple muddy and wet days around Red River Gorge, we headed up to northern Kentucky to spend a few relaxing days with a friend's family and taking care of chores. Heading east, we stopped at a horse camp for the night, where I learned the following day that you should get to a horse camp before it gets dark:

DSC07612.jpg

We hopped on and off some local routes and randomly met a couple KLR guys/inmates during a brewery stop in Indiana. They graciously offered us food, tent space, and an awesome tour of the local spots...tunnels, bridges, and random play areas....

DSC07623.jpg

DSC07635.jpg

Unfortunately after this we had to book it to Springfield, MO to catch a flight, which has been looming over us for the past week or so.

Maybe ten miles before arriving here, I went to step on my rear brake and felt the pedal bottom out. After taking a quick look, it seems that the rear piston of the rear brake was seized/failed. I was able to push it in a bit, but the pedal is only actuating the front piston. Not sure how long this has been an issue, but here are my HH now-twice-sintered pads with about 7k on them:

PXL_20210915_140709268.jpg

PXL_20210915_140725618.jpg

No clue what might have happened here, anyone have any thoughts?

Since I'm hoping the caliper might be covered under warranty and I have another small issue (constant, false TPMS warning), I'm taking it into a dealership. I called ahead to a few shops, but nobody has the parts on hand nor space in their schedules, but Empire Motorsports in Sioux Falls, South Dakota kindly offered to ship in parts to have on hand and squeeze me in. It's a bit further away than I hoped, but we were planning on trudging up there on the highway anyhow, so I'll make do without the rear for a bit.