The Great F!ck Off

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by random1781, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Samanjo

Samanjo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed
    Travel safe
    random1781 likes this.
  2. random1781

random1781 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's talk about some truths in motorcycling that we could all get behind, but probably won't.

Today's is regarding headsets. Buying a motorcycle headset is like paying for a wrapped up Willy Wonka dog turd and hoping you find the golden one, or at least one that isn't wet.

It's pretty much Cardo and Sena, and it's pretty much $400 for a pair. Sometimes you luck out and have a perfect, golden experience, other times you don't. They don't work, or maybe worse, they work intermittently without enough consistency to troubleshoot. You swear you'll never buy this brand again but then realize there are only two of them, and just as many people hate the other brand and swear they'll never use that one as the one you're using.
    liv2day, Surcease, Bapeter11 and 3 others like this.
  3. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the traveling with the puppy. I did that for 10 years. This I have no doubt will be amusing. Take Care Petepilot
    Whiteeyelashes and random1781 like this.
  4. mechahayai

mechahayai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Cardo Bold, an old Sena 10 or something and two Uclear sets for my wife's and my modular helmets. The Bold is great, but I rarely use it. It's always on my Arai street helmet, but I don't listen to music and seldom do calls when on the bike. Of them all, the Uclear has been the best bang for the buck. I've had them for 10 years and they have never let me down. Not perfect, not the best, but they still hold a charge and are good for 12+ hours of talk. Best speakers out of all brands without a doubt. Boomless is what it is. There's good and bad but, If I could combine the features of Cardo and the versatility/reliability of the Uclear I'd have the system to beat all systems.
    How much does your dog weigh? I have an awesome lab I'd love to take with me, but she's just shy of 100lbs. That would be a lot of weight wiggling around back there.
    random1781 likes this.
  5. mechahayai

mechahayai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We're also about 4hrs west of your last reported location here in Cadiz, KY, which is just a few miles away from Land Between the Lakes National Recreational Area. Lots of riding/camping/boating out here. We're pretty dog friendly too! Let me know if you're in the area.
    random1781 likes this.
  6. random1781

Oddometer:
    Yep, our guy is right on 50 lbs...big enough that he can hold his own, but also perfectly portable. I definitely feel it when he shifts, but it's nothing that's make or break regarding handling, and if anything, it's comforting to feel him shifting around to know that he's okay. Double the weight would definitely make a difference, but it really comes down to all the details...what riding are you doing and for how long, how adaptable and chill is she, and most importantly how you put her back there. With this setup, he has room to shift - stand up, sit down, curl up, whatever. On his old setup he was essentially confined to sitting up or laying down, so there weren't any big movements. Other setups like the K9 Moto Cockpit encourage pretty static positions too, which is probably better for bigger dogs.
    Bapeter11 likes this.
  7. random1781

Oddometer:
    After a couple muddy and wet days around Red River Gorge, we headed up to northern Kentucky to spend a few relaxing days with a friend's family and taking care of chores. Heading east, we stopped at a horse camp for the night, where I learned the following day that you should get to a horse camp before it gets dark:

DSC07612.jpg

We hopped on and off some local routes and randomly met a couple KLR guys/inmates during a brewery stop in Indiana. They graciously offered us food, tent space, and an awesome tour of the local spots...tunnels, bridges, and random play areas....

DSC07623.jpg

DSC07635.jpg

Unfortunately after this we had to book it to Springfield, MO to catch a flight, which has been looming over us for the past week or so.

Maybe ten miles before arriving here, I went to step on my rear brake and felt the pedal bottom out. After taking a quick look, it seems that the rear piston of the rear brake was seized/failed. I was able to push it in a bit, but the pedal is only actuating the front piston. Not sure how long this has been an issue, but here are my HH now-twice-sintered pads with about 7k on them:

PXL_20210915_140709268.jpg

PXL_20210915_140725618.jpg

No clue what might have happened here, anyone have any thoughts?

Since I'm hoping the caliper might be covered under warranty and I have another small issue (constant, false TPMS warning), I'm taking it into a dealership. I called ahead to a few shops, but nobody has the parts on hand nor space in their schedules, but Empire Motorsports in Sioux Falls, South Dakota kindly offered to ship in parts to have on hand and squeeze me in. It's a bit further away than I hoped, but we were planning on trudging up there on the highway anyhow, so I'll make do without the rear for a bit.
    Andyota, njmotophoto and snglfin like this.
  8. VADUALSPORT

VADUALSPORT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WV people are hard to beat!
  9. Baloffski

Baloffski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Way to Go!!!
    Dog in tow, got my attention, safe and learned travelling..
    Watching your thread/Adventure, to see you experience the road.
    Mickle err spose , down unda.
    random1781 and VADUALSPORT like this.
  10. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Likely one of the best starts to a RR I've read! Good on you two for undertaking this adventure, can only imagine the trepidation, excitement, and myriad of other emotions you both experienced in doing so. I cannot count the times I've said fuck this in my head the last couple years; but I have a couple of boys in school that'll keep me "grounded" for the next 8-10 years.

I look forward to following along; have already enjoyed the stories of folks you've met along the way - so much enrichment in those encounters.

If your travels include coming out to the PNW and anywhere around Portland, you're welcome at my place. Officially "liberated" 9/22/21 and starting the next chapter of life means I have plenty of space. Also a shop to store/work on bikes as needed.

Knobby side down.
    random1781 likes this.
  11. VADUALSPORT

VADUALSPORT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you all take any videos?
  12. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully you made it south of Rock Springs before the weather. You’ve got a place or two to stay if you ever make it to northern Colorado and want a bed, cold beer and hot shower.
    random1781 likes this.
  13. random1781

Oddometer:
    We kinda did! We got to SLC today where we're hunkering down for a few days to let the snowstorm pass, but we still had a few really cold nights that we were unprepared for:

PXL_20211002_014347067.NIGHT.jpg

However, while we still don't have a sleeping bag for ourselves, the dog has one, which doubles as a foot warmer:

PXL_20211010_031650820.NIGHT.jpg

We actually just took our first videos of the trip, but we haven't had a chance to look at them or post them anywhere. Turns out it's a lot harder to edit and post video than it seems, especially on the road. Where do you post videos to make them accessible? I guess youtube?

A longer update will be coming soon...a lot has happened and we've literally been chasing the weather, but this pause is really welcome!
  14. random1781

Oddometer:
    The last time we were in the PNW, we had to blow through so much because we didn't have enough time, and we're too late this time to be north. Your area is high on the list of places we want to spend time in, so I'll definitely let you know!
  15. VADUALSPORT

VADUALSPORT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Youtube is where I post all our videos.
  16. random1781

Oddometer:
  17. Soil Sample

Soil Sample Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was nice to finally meet you 3 and host you for a few days. On-On and keep me posted on progress and shenanigans! I have to live vicariously through you 3 for the next few years. Thanks for the motivation to get out! Maybe I'll go the opposite direction and we can meet up somewhere...:hmmmmm
    random1781 likes this.
  18. Loudo

Loudo Pithy

Oddometer:
    Spot on, I chortled
  19. catches

catches Figuring out what I want to be if I grow up.

Oddometer:
    I'm in.
    random1781 likes this.
  20. random1781

Oddometer:
    Finally time for a real update.

So in between Missouri and SLC, we did stuff. We headed north into Iowa, right along the border with Nebraska and hopped on The Northern Route.

We've had a running joke about road signs being liars ever since we hit Kentucky. Kentucky would have a prolific amount of these "Break in pavement" signs without there being any break in the pavement at all, not even a patch of repaired asphalt. Maybe they were just expecting the pavement to break and preemptively plopping down signs when the built the road. In either case, to their credit, when there actually was a break in the pavement, it was a real break...as in the asphalt was caving in along the cliff-side of a switchback.

Iowa, on the other hand, liberally uses the curvy road signs. I think we can all agree here that we like seeing those while riding, but where we were, those signs were all liars. A five degree curve in the road along a quarter mile stretch isn't a curve, Iowa.

But it actually was pretty with trees and rolling hills.

DSC07651.jpg

Shortly before getting to South Dakota, where we are getting residency, we were told that we needed an appointment for the DMV. This was problematic since most appointments were a week or more out. We found the soonest one at the DMV in the Rosebud Reservation, so after a detour in Sioux Falls, we began making our way across the state via the TSDAT. We followed the tracks on the Nebraska side and had a great time. Found a cool "boat ramp" that was a half mile gravel road covered in a few inches of water with a campable gravel area at the end:

DSC07706.jpg

Plus lots of other great camping along the way. Beautiful open skies and more sprawling and open fields. I'm used to seeing fenced in areas, so it was just cool to finally see wide-open spaces.

DSC07717.jpg

Gotta take a moment here to mention our stop at the 605 Restaurant in Kennebec, because this was basically our experience with people throughout the entire state. We just stopped for a couple PBRs before heading to our campsite for the night, but being the only people there, we wound up talking with the owner/cook/bartender/RV park manager the entire time. Without asking, she packed up picnic of brisket and a variety pack of house-made BBQ sauces for us to take with us on the road.

PXL_20210927_005439128.jpg
    We intended to quickly detour to Pierre to print out some documents at the library, but wound up meeting more great folks at a bar there and wound up accepting a generous offer for a shower and bed to crash on, continuing the trend of great people in SD.

We eventually made it to White River, which had the closest camping to Rosebud. We also had our passports overnighted to the local post office, which was our last bit of paperwork we needed to get our licenses.

Over the next two days, we learned a few lessons. Just because restaurants say they're open doesn't mean they are. The labor shortage is hitting hard around the areas we were in, and the one restaurant in town was no exception. There was a pretty decent city park/campground though, and we had no problems cooking and spending the day taking care of chores.

DSC07749.jpg

Most importantly, we learned that overnight mail isn't overnight when you're in the middle of nowhere. It took three days for our passports to arrive, which was one day too late. Our appointment came and went, and although we tried to present a dozen different IDs, none of them were good enough. We did discover that appointments aren't actually necessary, at least in the smaller offices like we went to, so while we could have taken care of everything earlier, at least we weren't hosed, because the next soonest appointment we could find was a week away.

We also discovered why people said the unpaved roads around the area were challenging. The town was a little grid of huge dirt roads, which was fine. Until the rain started. Those simple dirt roads were a mush, and it took about ten minutes to guide my bike the half mile or so to where we were staying. Fortunately where we were staying was a house in town, owned by one of the folks we met at the local bar who kindly offered it up for us to stay in for the night.

Also fortunately, we found out that the municipal office just down the street from us would take all our paperwork for residency/licenses, so we were able to knock it all out the next morning. That was a windfall moment for us, because it was the last chore that we had to do that was essentially dictating our route. Getting that knocked out was liberating, and from that point we could basically go any direction we wanted.

That direction was towards Badlands. While the last couple days of travel had been straight farm roads, the terrain started to pick up. We stopped by the Bomb Target waypoint on the TSDAT, which was literally an old bombing range, complete with old cars arranged in a crosshair.

PXL_20210930_203530894.jpg
    Fortunately no UXO was found! The cars actually seemed pretty intact, so I'd guess mostly inert rounds were dropped here.

We camped in the Badlands that night and then made our way to the Black Hills. While beautiful with great roads, we were beginning to see freezing temperatures, which we weren't yet prepared for, so we quickly saw the sites and then turned south...but that starts an entirely different experience.

DSC07825.jpg
    snglfin, ScotsFire, bbanker and 12 others like this.