1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Indian Roadtrip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Moto Grapher, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Moto Grapher

Moto Grapher IBlink,IClick.ISit,IRide

Oddometer:
    The Great Indian Roadtrip
    4 riders, 110 Days, 20,000 Kms, India.

After 2 years of planning and running after sponsors and by utlizing the power of the internet I finally managed to nail the biggest thing to happen to me and experience of a life timel : The Great Indian Roadtrip.

I am thrilled to share my experience with advRiders, which is in my opinion, the mecca for bike tourers on the internet ( i bow to thee ). I had been around advRider as a viewer for some time but did not get any reason to post amongst the stupendously talented people here, but now I have.

I am on the 90th day of this and am writing this post when the temperature outside in a remote village in Sikkim, India is almost zero. Outside my window are the world's highest mountain ranges - The Himalayas. And from the window we can see Mt.Kanchenjunga ( world's third highest mountain peak ).

I start by presenting some of the pictures of the ride, daywise.

I am only posting some of the pictures which have the Fireblade ( which is one of the bikes in the trip ) and is ridden by me. I would request my co-riders to continue this thread and post their pictures of the rides on the trip on this very thread.

The expreriences are inuumerable, the friends we made many, but such a trip covering India can only be once.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 1 : Start from Delhi

[​IMG]

Day 2 : Flag off from India gate, Delhi

[​IMG]

Day 34 : Transiting through Delhi after completing Himalaya circuit

[​IMG]

Day 35 : Exploring Delhi

[​IMG]

Day 40 : Jaipur

[​IMG]

Day 41 : Jaipur, Nahargarh

[​IMG]

Day 43 : The Golden Quadrilateral ( no speed limit )

[​IMG]
    Day 44 : Udaipur ( City of Lakes )

[​IMG]

Day 48 : Daman

[​IMG]

Day 50 : Bombay

[​IMG]

Day 52 : Pune, midnight meet

[​IMG]
    Day 53 : Pune on Diwali, the festival of lights in India. Thats the Indian map

[​IMG]
    Day 55 : To Goa

[​IMG]
    Day 56 : Goa

[​IMG]
    Day 62 : In Bangalore ( with the exotic Italian beauty - the MV Augusta Brutale )

[​IMG]
    Day 70 : Kanyakumari ( the southernmost tip of India mainland )

[​IMG]

Day 73 : To Chennai

[​IMG]

Day 75 : To Mahabalipuram shore temple

[​IMG]

Day 76 : To Hyderabad

[​IMG]

Day 81 : Vizag ( the submarine museum )

[​IMG]

Day 83 : To Calcutta
  2. mattzuki

mattzuki Adventurer

Oddometer:
    each pic looks like it could be a movie poster!
  3. Slimie

Slimie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice design, great photography. Good stuff! Cheers:clap

-Simon
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent! it would make an oustanding travel DVD of your trip around India :thumb Thanks for posting these fabulous pics and links.
  5. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    My best friend and fellow rider is also an Indian Native, and has really shown me what a diverse country you guys have there. You are so lucky to be able to see it all in 1 trip! and on a fireblade! fantastic!:clap

Enjoy it, on our parts, for those of us who cant get out of our damn cubicles :cry
  6. Moto Grapher

Oddometer:
    @xdbx : you said it. In fact one primary motive of he trip is motivate white collared workers and the younger generation to go out and discover life less ordinary by road, at least once in a lifetime.

We want desktop adventurers to join in and share our trials, treks and triumphs. We want to encourage members of our generation, and those that came before and will follow, to get off the couch and get out there and try the world out for themselves!

btw, here is one picture from today :
    [​IMG]

This is in Pelling. west sikkim, a very cold state in India.
  7. Sunil

Sunil wanderer

Oddometer:
    Its not fair, you can't post only your pics; being a co-rider, i think i deserve some space on this server too :D.

Where the land ends...
    [​IMG]
    This is last point in South India where you can go by road. From here on, there lies 'The Adam's Bridge', a connecting link between India and Sri Lanka which can only be seen from a satellite.
  8. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    great photos.

can you give us some info on what everyone is riding? it seems unusual to see such big bikes in a report from india. chanderjeet and the other indian riders that post here made me think it was rather difficult to get a larger bike there.

india is somewhere i would love to spend a few months traveling. ride safe and have fun.
  9. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    great photography and graphical expression! +3 :thumb
  10. Moto Grapher

Oddometer:
    You cannot comprehend how happy I am to read this from you. It is part of our objective via this trip which has been fulfilled.

In India is it indeed difficult to get a superbike. Why ?
    • A Fireblade will cost you arond 22,000$ after import
    • If you dont complete the complicated legalities involved while importing the bike it will be liable to get forfeited by the Indian authorities ( DRI : Directorate of Revenue Intelligence )
    and many other factors like clean fuel etc. Most important factor is the attitude of certain individuals high up the strata of society who are rich and who have these bikes since long but do not use these bikes for touring but rather a tool to satisfy a hunger for speed and like a status symbol.

In this trip by choosing a bike like the Fireblade, which demands attention in every nook and corner of India is much like a Y2K ridden by JLo with Brad Pitt as a pillion on the American streets.

BUT, the BIG BUT

like our journey shows that it is very much possible to travel on a modern superbike in India. There are bad roads too but that can be taken care of if you are careful over the potholes and you get the bike serviced ( fuel injector cleaning, put octane boosters, air filter cleaning with change of oil every 4k kms ). Out of the 15,500 kms in 90 days that we have till now ( out of the 20,000kms in 110 days ) i have ridden the Blade for 11,000kms. The 4,000 kms that he Blade wasnt taken were done in northern India where the toughest of bikes have problem traversing the barbaric terrain.

[​IMG]

I plan to pen down some articles which will help people who want to visit India but are not sure which bike etc.
  11. bunny_punia

bunny_punia 18,634 feet : Oh Yes!

Oddometer:
    Hi Riders
    I am back again, having on earlier accounts posted my experiences in the <st1:place>Himalayas</st1:place> on my Hero Honda Karizma
    See links
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74089
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73614
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104421
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124949<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I am one of the riders on the GIR (Great Indian Road Trip) and my fellow riders are here (IndianBoy, Sunil) too, sharing our experiences with you all.
    Yesterday was a fantastic day (you can see the pic above with the waterfall and the Italiano scooter, post no 6) taken by me on my way to <st1:place>North Sikkim</st1:place> from <st1:place>West Sikkim</st1:place>.
    I take this pleasure to share one more photos with you guys
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>

Today we head to Gangtok from Pelling, around 120kms thru mountains and tomorrow we expect to ride to Nathu La pass, which is already snowed out!

The machine you see in this pic and the pic on post no 6 is the Kinetic Blaze. Kinetic manufactures this and had a collaboration with Italjet for these machines. Its powered by a 165cc 4stroke engine pumping out 12bhp. It has a CVT Transmission and is quite torquey for its weight and size. Returns around 30kms to a litre and tops out at an indicated 110km/h.

Other machines include :
    Honda Fireblade 1000rr
    HYosung Comet
    Italjet Jupiter
    The Kinetic Blazes are two in nos
  12. Fast_Boy_Slim

Fast_Boy_Slim Don't call me Wighty

Oddometer:
    Design and composition of your pictures are you a professional photograpgher/graphic artist?

Well done. :clap :clap :clap

FBS
  13. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    looks awesome, congrats. :thumb
  14. Moto Grapher

Oddometer:
    Yes, I am a graphic designer by profession ( http://www.itsasunny.net ). It is sheer luck that I have got this opportunity to excercise my designing skills and still pursue adventure biking and touring. I dont think now i can rest at home or do a 9-5 job in a corporate environment after experiencing what perhaps Adam and Eve must have when the world began - Freedom!

This is where we went today, Rumtek Monastrey in Sikkim. As you can see we are n the process of coverting the monk to our preferred religion! Thats Sunil on the left.

[​IMG]
  15. praveenkm

praveenkm Speed Demon

Oddometer:
    @Sunny: nice to see u here :)

@GIR: best of luck for the rest of the trip.

really like the north east pix, as most of the places i have only heard about and now i get to see it. :clap
  16. Tropical Bird

Tropical Bird From the front line

Oddometer:
    Outstanding photographic composition!

Well done...
  17. Veshgp

Veshgp n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics.
    How was the CBR on such a long trip?
  18. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    woww !!! thats some pics there !!! :clap :clap and really good to see u guys here
  19. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    You folks who post of trips in faraway lands are great ambassadors, both for your country and for the biking community. :thumb

Thanks for posting. :clap

Hey, which scooter were you riding? Or, did I miss that in the report?
  20. bunny_punia

bunny_punia 18,634 feet : Oh Yes!

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot guys
    About the scooter, i have mentioned about it in my earlier post (the one with the bridge pic)
    today we guys went towards the india-tiber border and i was on the motorcycle (the 250cc comet) today. Managed to go till 13,600 feet. Here is a pic

[​IMG]