The Great Nitro Mousse Controversy/Tyre/Tire Discussion

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TigerTanker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. TigerTanker

TigerTanker Husqurducycle

Oddometer:

Ok, before we start, the Tesla Great Radio Controversy song must be heard to understand.
  2. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    IMG_1762.JPG
  3. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
  4. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    Since April of 2016, i've been using the Michelin Bib Mousse products. Started with a front wheel after a catastrophic destruction of my tubliss front tire/wheel. What I needed, was the ultimate in fool proof, idiot proof off road front tire.

My first ride was at the Desert 100 in Odessa WA, the oldest and longest running enduro race in the USA. So, I've now been on Mousse fronts since april of 16, and have gone from 1 of 4 rims using mousse, to all 4 being mousse.

I've found that it's the ultimate in brain dead riding, and protection from flats, crushed rims, accidents that lead to a disruption of the day or end of the day to a ride. Much of my terrain is terrible, rocky beyond description!! My destruction of two TUbliss systems in the front was MY fault in that I ran far too low pressure in the front from the "living hell" that I was riding over.
  5. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I said you MUST listen to Tesla while reading this.... any violators are TOSSED.

Ok, so since going to Mousse in the front?

• NO flats
    • NO TUbliss destruction
    • NO rim crushing
    • NO front tire checking
    • NO deflection issues on roots/rocks
    • NO bad days man...
    • NO need to carry tubes, irons, tire supplies

I have ridden;

• Nasty single track
    • Rocky jeep trails
    • Wet muddy sorry excuses for trails
    • Pavement up to 90mph
    • Temps as high as 107 degrees
  6. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    Ok, so why does an off road kind of guy wanna have these mousses, and what kind of drawbacks are there?

You want this so that you can ride any kind of surface at an approx PSI of about 12-14 without having to worry about a flat tire. They last 2-3 tires and you don't have to baby them. Pure brain dead kind of stuff.... Now, there are folks that "claim" that there is a dead feel to them, they need maintenance, blah blah blah. I ride 6k off road miles per year and I'm apparently far too stupid to feel any difference, because I like them on trails and pavement. I've taken the fronts over the entire Western USA on and off road and they were amazing and reliable.

A drawback or two?

Typically, they are considered a nightmare to install. Some dealers tell me that it took 4 of them to install, and NEVER ask them to do it again..... I do not change my own tires.... I typically pay $40-50 to do it for me. The other potential drawback is the price. The Michelin product is $125 abouts, and the Goldentyre is like a whopping $250 per wheel. They do last 2-3 tires, but still, it's more expensive than tubes and even TUbliss.

But... what are NO BAD DAYS worth to you? Means a ton to a guy like me that is NOT mechanically inclined and don't want to worry about this stuff.
    Bitingdog and toller like this.
  7. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    Ok, so as pleased as I was with the fronts, I've been super pleased with TUbliss in the rear of my 3 dirt/dual sport bikes. Nuetech has been a great help for me and after a few hiccups I've got the system working for me in a big way.

But, this Spring I had plans to go through all the West States and a friend warned me that Phoenix area was a place built for flats, and that a rear and front mousse made sense due to the thorns of the Desert.

So, I got a Sedona 907 set up with a Bib Mousse and took it as a safety measure to the Desert 100 race. Sure enough, stupid me ran my TUbliss too low in practice and trashed it and a brand new Sedona 907..... you CAN NOT run tubliss too low at speed in rocks or you trash everything. Gee, after 3-4 episodes you'd think I'd figure that out....
  8. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    Hey, I've got the brand new tire and mousse as a back up??? Ok, so I put it on and do the 100 mile race and it performs AWESOME along with the Mousse GT233 front. Ok, now I'm really sold on this! The D100 does NOT have much elevation change, so the low PSI tire thing is kinda lost anyways?
  9. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    After the D100 I go on the 7 state USA West tour and take my te300 and fe450 with me. For the most part, the fe450 had the dual mousse set up as described above. And it performed well from Moab and onward. Even after the tire went pretty bald, it's still hooking up. And as mentioned far above, no matter the surface or temps, the system delivers.
  10. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    For whatever reason, I'd never heard of Nitro Mousse. But my extreme satisfaction with TUbliss and the likewise satisfaction of Bib Mousses had me quite intrigued when I'd heard about Nuetech Nitro Mousse.

So, I ordered a bunch of the product for me and my mechanic/ride buddy...the amazing and non hair challenged @Dan950ser

So, in the coming future we are going to install and ride these products and provide feedback on this product that makes some pretty strong claims.

Nitro Mousse claims;

• 2x life of normal mousse due to the Nitro addition to the product
    • Easier to install than a typical mousse
    • Better handling than comprable products
    • Higher heat tolerance
    • A more springy feel than competitor products because of the Nitro infusion
    • Reasonably priced at about $125
    • Flat Proof
  11. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    I have 3 bikes, and the 4 sets of rims I have for all of them are currently all 4 front Michelin Bib Mousse, with 3 TUbliss rears using either the Sedona 907 or Pirelli MT43 Trials Tire...and one Sedona 907 with a Michelin Bib Mousse.

I'm going to transition one more rear to Nitro Mousse, and the other Mousse tires/rims to Nitro over the coming few months.
  12. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    If you have experience with this product, chime in by all means!

Tell us about your experiences with the product and the best way to install.

I've been reading about the Rabaconda tire changer and how it turns the process into a simple chore. Is that for real or?? Should I spend the $300-400 on that product??

One reason I'm doing this is because I ride a lot, and so do many of my ride buddies. I'm currently shelling out big bux on tires/install/mousses etc and by doing this on my/our own, could save us quite a bit of money each year?
  13. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    Ok, so there is the story about what brings us here!

Now, some pics and videos about Tiger Tanker, The Terminators, and where we ride....
  14. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    naches 119.PNG naches 121.PNG naches 129.JPG naches 134.JPG
  15. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    naches 027.JPG naches 034.JPG naches 183.JPG naches 195.JPG
  16. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    50th 015.JPG 50th 022.JPG 50th 024.JPG 50th 021.JPG
  17. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    038.JPG 041.JPG 045.JPG 056.JPG
  18. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    Ok, the above stuff is just some riding of the last couple weeks...

But here, this...the road to hell is paved with boulders, boulders this F'N big!

50th 048.JPG

The song... is dedicated to riding an enduro bike on an endless field of nasty rocks...

You know I'm on a slick trip, I'm always ready to kick ass
    Up on the stage I'm in a rage, I'm havin' the time of my life
    Yes, indeed, what a sweet, sweet life it is
    Until some loco two-bit floosie with a Louie Le-Strange
    Ain't good for nothin' but trouble
    They're just two fools livin' up to their names
    And now it's startin' to rain on my parade
    You know there's nothin' like the real world to get me down
    There's nothin' like the world outside that turns me upside down
    It makes me feel like I'm headin' down a one-way, dead-end street
    There's no way out, no way out of this living hell
    No way out, no way out, unless you walk heaven's trail
    No way out, no way out of this living hell, livin' hell
    You know I had it made in the shade, thinkin' that it's not so bad after all
    That's when I woke up, smelled the coffee, I'm back where I started again, yes
    And now it's pourin' rain on my parade
    No there's nothin' like the real world to get me down, no
    One is there to lift you up, one to drag you down
    Now, don't you see that we're heading down a one-way, dead-end street
    No way out, no way out of this living hell, I guess I'll live in hell
    No way out, no way out of this living hell, livin' hell
    Yes, it's a beautiful thing
    You know, I'm on a slick trip, I'm always ready to kick ass
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
  19. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    banner1v2.jpg
  20. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    And if you've never heard of Dan950ser and Tiger Tanker.... we play in the garage and make good bikes better....

DistortedAxis and Dan950ser like this.