The Great Nitro Mousse Controversy/Tyre/Tire Discussion

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TigerTanker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. TigerTanker

TigerTanker Husqurducycle

Oddometer:
    But don't get us wrong, we're not pretty boy farklers, we ride....

JerseyJeeper likes this.
  2. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    download.jpg hqdefault.jpg Nikola-tesla.jpg NitroMousse.jpg
  3. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    God damn rock in the boot trick. Good stuff TT and pretty damn excited to test the nitro mousse since it will be my first experience with any kind of mousse ever. I'm frugalish :lol3 and hate changing tires, especially on the trail. I had six flats on the last Baja trip. I want to put these through the ringer and prove they will work for @BajaDave, @Eldon and I for the next trip. So many thorns down there when trying to discover new routes that it would be nice just to run over them and know your still going to make it to camp that night.
  4. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So far so good here Nitromousse-wise. Running an M59 front and M5B rear in rocky PA enduros and hare scrambles. You should practice removal/install and save yourself a lot of cash both with what you're paying others to do it and just lubing the mousse to make it last longer. It's really not much worse than a tube as you refine your technique. Lots of tire irons and watch the youtube vids.

2017-07-27 07.36.34.jpg
    Dan950ser and TigerTanker like this.
  5. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    Do you lube mousse only at install, or do you find it beneficial or necessary to lubricate mousse before the tire wears out. I ride 500 or more miles each month so tires usually only last a couple months or so.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  6. N8

Oddometer:
    I don't have a ton of experience yet, but keeping the mousse lubed is key to longevity. I'm skeptical that it's staying lubed for 500 miles of any type of riding. I pulled it apart just to check on it after 2 races and still used 1/4 tube of lube on each mousse just to go back together.
  7. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    So, how dry was it?

Oh, and I'll warn any first time user of a mousse. Make DAMN sure you wash the wheel with soap before you ride, especially if it's just a bit wet outside.

If you don't, you will wind up on the ground with a front tire washout and possibly hurt yourself. It took 30 minutes for the lube to come off on a such ride a year ago and I nearly crashed on a wooden path. Lube wet is like putting vaseline on your tires.
  8. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    i saw that when i mounted my nitros, and cleaned it off with solvent before i rode the bike...
    TigerTanker likes this.
  9. N8

Oddometer:
    It was not dry but I personally wouldn't be comfortable pushing it more than 4 enduros and they're about 3.5-4hrs of engine time.
  10. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    I have ridden my front tires until they need to be replaced. The KTM folks in Oly WA have not said anything about the product being too dry when it was replacement of tire time. Additionally, two of my rims have holes in them from the drilling of the Tubliss HP valve. My first Mousse that needed replacement was after 1 yr and 2-3 tires.

I'll have to ask the folks at Nuetech a bit about this part next time I chat with them.
    N8 likes this.
  11. N8

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear that. Tells me if I lube them regularly, they should last a long long time.
    TigerTanker likes this.
  12. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, here is Slavens talking about Nitro Mousse. Trouble is, while he uses TUbliss, he's never used Mousses, and I think he repeats some stereotypical cliches about mousses.

13. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    For any and all Noobs....

I've been riding for 2 years since coming back to riding after a 30 yr break.

Whether you buy TUbliss or Mousse, don't get caught up in the technical details and pros and cons..... your head will spin. Just try one with a rim and see what happens. I got caught up in the technical details until I was so confused I hardly knew what to do, but then I finally just decided to give TUbliss a try. I was very happy I did.
  14. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    i put 10 hours straight on my nitros. it was a straight 10 hours of mud. i plan on swapping the rear out as soon as my arm heals... i will let you know what i find.
  15. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    I've got an open mind when it comes tire pressurization strategies, and I'm handy with tire work. From the perspective of a (dirt) dual sport rider, I always want equipment reliability and the ability to bail myself out of bad situations and get back home. So traditional tubes remain fine by me, since they are completely proven by time, and are so easy to deal with on the trail.

But I'm also a Tubliss convert. The abilities to run very low tire pressures and very easily repair tire punctures are sweet. Pretty much the only thing I don't like with Tubliss is the need for for ~100psi air in the inner bladder. I have the correct pump should I need it out on the trail, but should my pump fail...then what?

I've always written off mousses because of the age old understanding that they can't handle sustained high speed riding. Virtually every time I ride, sustained high speed is part of the reality - so if mousse can't handle that, it remains a non-starter. The expense/life ratio has also been a turnoff, relative to the mileage that I'd run a bike each year. I'm not racing, so I've generally got the time to make a tire repair on the trail should I need to...but it would be nice to never need to make a trailside repair, and never need to refill or check pressures.

Anyway, I'm very curious to hear if these Nitros pan out as tougher and longer lasting than the other mousse options to date.
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  16. DJMS

DJMS n00b

Oddometer:
    i usually run TUbliss myself, but my backup race bike has Nitromousse installed and they have worked great so far. The fitment chart on the website really gets rid of some of the guesswork in finding the right mousse for the tires.
    to me they feel much more like an air-filled tube than other mousse I've tried, which I like. I would say mine feel much more like 8-10 psi, but that depends a lot on which tires you use...

overall I'm extremely pleased with Nitros.
    TigerTanker and N8 like this.
  17. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
  18. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    I do love TUbliss, but when they have failed, every time it's been my fault, the process is very expensive for front and back and of course time consuming. You can continue the day with a TUbliss rear failure, but a TUbliss front failure is a day ender. I just posted up the ZipTy video, and after watching it my mind has a much better understanding of these products and how to use/maintain them. For a dyi type rider, it looks like you can prolong the life of this stuff by keeping good parts of an old mousse for later use. Interesting.

Cost, yeah, one can argue that Mousse is the most expensive option. But, for me, the value of peace of mind and trip insurance needs to be considered. Last year I had an epic journey go very bad because of a front wheel failure, I'd gladly handed a $100 to someone to keep going.
  19. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    To be fair with Mr. Slavens, he's mentioning much of the really technical stuff about Mousses, and comments from pro level riders and guys that have been riding for life. For a recreational rider, or noob, that kind of discussion can come across as confusing, alarming.... creating the Deer in the headlights...do nothingness....

My brain had that going with TUbliss and I finally just bought the system because I saw a video that simplified matters. Inmate @n16ht5 made two vids on TUbliss that cut through the clutter and simplified matters.... btw, not only were the videos KISS, but very well produced to boot.

20. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    I just had a long call with Nuetech, asking some questions...hope this helps with any questions folks might have.

• Nitro Mousse has been available since January of 2017, the product is selling 3x faster than they expected.
    • They are very adamant and confident that their product lasts 2x longer than the competition....which means the $125 price is comp at $60 ish bucks...
    • They do not want you using soap on lubrication, it dries out. Use their proprietary silicone lubricant or buy the NAPA Auto "Silglyde" product
    • You can indeed chop this product up for longer life, cutting out a bad part long in life, and stuffing to your preferred density
    • No need to lubricate during the life of the tire, only need to lube at install
    • The expensive tire changers are good on this product for folks with bad backs, they prefer the floor tire changer/bead buster for $100 and wrestling it in
    • 20% of product is sold for competition, 80% for recreational use
    • Heat testing of this product, is unusually positive for performance and longevity. This product handles heat MUCH better
    • This product is much livelier in shock absorption, and handles better in cornering and when on stretches of pavement
    toast and Lutz like this.