The Great Nitro Mousse Controversy/Tyre/Tire Discussion

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TigerTanker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Lager Meister

Lager Meister Work less, ride more

Oddometer:
    I think you have those last two measurements reversed. The 325 is bigger than the 305.
  2. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. From big to small...345, 325, 305, 285

325 will be too small for the dunlop 803. Use the 345 like nitro suggests.
  3. BigChief

BigChief n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks.
    That gives me someplace to start.

I have the front end the way I want it with the Goldentyre 216AA Fatty and the Goldentyre 90/90x21 G-Mousse combo.
    Did the GT 216X and G-Mousse-X combo and loved it.
    G-Mousse-X just doesnt last long enough at $190 each. It only lasts a few rides before it gets to soft to hold the bead on.
    Tried the 216X with NM-305, but didn't like it as much.
    I might try drilling the NM-305.

Switched back to the D803 and hoping to find a mousse combo I like with it.
  4. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    305 was too big for the 216 rear tire? If it's a new tire and new nitro, it will take a ride or two to soften up some. Otherwise it will be asm stiff setup at first. It's not good practice to use a new mousse with a new tire. Try a used tire with a new mousse or vise versa.
  5. BigChief

BigChief n00b

Oddometer:
    305 fit fine in the 216.
    Its the size NT recommends.
    It was fine, just not nearly as soft as the G-mousseX.
    At this point its probably a 10-11 psi feel.
    The G-mousse-X was a 5-6 psi feel, but doesn't last very long.
    I was totally aware of the short lifespan. I wanted to try the combo at least once and channel my inner Jarvis.
    Unfortunately, I wasn't able to instantly do slow wheelies.
    It did give me similar grip to what I was use to with the D803.

I've never had any issues using UHD tubes in the D803.
    But after using mousses, I like the peace of mind.

I test fit the 305 in the D803 a couple weeks ago.
    It seemed too large for the D803.
    If NT recommends the 345, maybe I'll throw the 305 back in it and test it out.
  6. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll get 100 hours at least on your nitros. At least I have and still going.
  7. SilverFerret

SilverFerret Motor Psycho Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put a Nitro Mousse in my 21" fron wheel. I had a wheel lock in there but the shop took it out when they put my tire on. Technician said he does MX and never uses a wheel lock. What do you guys think?
  8. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am running my fronts without rimlocks for the first time ever. So far so good.
  9. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see no downfall in running one so I run both front and rear.
  10. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a quote from Nitro Mousse website: "Should I use a standard rim lock with a mousse?

Yes, even though some manufacturers do not recommend using a rim lock, we think it is an important safety measure and highly recommend using a proper fitting and functioning rim lock. During operation and especially in warm temperatures, a typical or improperly sized mousse can expand and pop the tires bead off the rim. DO NOT MOUNT a Nitromousse without a proper fitting and functioning rim lock.
    kjclark7 and N8 like this.
  11. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any of you mousse guys recommend a good garage tire changer stand for mousse changes / lubing? I have done the "bead break stomp" and dig away with levers in my driveway and on my tailgate while at the dirt park before, and as I'm old and lazy now, I will pay a shop if I can but I've heard good things about the Rabaconda stand and wanted opinions. Thoughts?
  12. N8

Oddometer:
    The Rabaconda is the ultimate, but ultimately very expensive. I went with this: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...torcycle-Tire-Changing-Stand-and-Bead-Breaker , but if I did it over again, I'd get this: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...ustable-Height-Motorcycle-Tire-Changing-Stand . I don't use the bead breaker. @kjclark7 will likely have a different opinion. To me, the biggest help, is to take the back bending out of it as much as possible. I intend to someday make a stand for mine to bring it up to a better working height.
  13. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I added to my existing no mar tire changer to make it work with mounting mousse inserts.
    It's at a good working height for me and it makes quick work in changing tires.
    I wouldn't go out and buy one of these if you don't have one but since I did already (for street bike tire changes), I figured I could make it work for mousse.
    I take a different opinion on the bead breaking arm than n8. I think it's great and makes dismounting a breeze.
    I have two friend's with a rabaconda and they both love them. I never used it but it looks to be the best around. So if you have the cash, go for it. Or make something yourself out of a spare rim or buy another kind of tire changer.

Here's my setup

14. N8

Oddometer:
    Where you use the bead breaker to get your bead ramps in, I just use a 2nd tire iron pointed up instead of down to get the other iron in. If that makes sense.
  15. theDub

theDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also have the Tusk one. Works great. I just put it on my work bench and clamp it down with C-clamps. Doesn't take up as much space when not being used as the one with the stand that way. The bead breaker arm is the best part of the stand.
    brianpc likes this.
  16. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another mousse maintenance question - I have read here that it's important to keep mousse inserts lubed, and I probably need to do this soon (hence my tire changer stand inquiry) rather than drag my wheels to the tire shop. Any recommended/preferred lube type? And IIRC, it's a "put on more, and then even more than that" thing? Sorry for lazysearching, I recall reading up on it here but couldn't find it.
  17. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use the nitro lube. It's cheap and that's what they recommend.
    As far as relubing, depending on the tire you can go a couple hundred miles or more.
  18. N8

Oddometer:
    I also use their lube and agree with @kjclark7 . You definitely shouldn't plan on getting 2,000 miles out of a nitromousse without relubing as claimed earlier in this thread.
  19. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    tried to install my nitro mousse today with my ground stand tire holder - no joy. I watched a video on YT and it looked pretty straight forward - not. So went to my local cycle gear and they have the big boy tire machine - they could not get the new tube and mousse on either. Went to another mc store in town and they failed as well - they did try real hard.

According to the mc store where I bought the tires and the mousse I have the right size mousse. The sales guy I spoke with races mx and uses mousse and seems real knowledgeable about mousse as he changes his own at the track.

Any tips for installing new mousse and new tires for the DIY installer?
  20. N8

Oddometer:
    What tire and what size mousse?