The Great Nitro Mousse Controversy/Tyre/Tire Discussion

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TigerTanker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    nm 21-220 = mousse. tire = Dunlop D606 Dual Purpose Tires 90/90-21
  2. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    A new d606 with a new mousse is gonna be tough, but I'm sure someone seasoned could do it easy enough. You'd have to post pics of your technique for me to be any help over the internet.
  3. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never mounted that setup but take small bites and make sure you relieve the opposite side of the bead with tire irons or bead buddies like I use. It's all in the technique but you'll get it.
  4. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    N8 and kjclar7 - thanks for the replies. I will keep trying.

I am almost to the point to say heck with the mousse and get some uhd.
  5. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just curious, which YT vid did you watch? I watched the RMATV one where the guy did an install / removal using a Rabaconda and about 5 tire irons.

This one:

He makes it look easy enough that I want to do it myself.. Your post is giving me second thoughts. :)
  6. N8

Oddometer:
    I watched every one I could find. Not sure if the rocky Mtn one existed yet then. I don't use a bead beaker. I just use tire irons. It's oly hard until you master your technique. Anymore I prefer to do mousses over tubes just because I'm out of practice with my tube technique .
  7. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it was the RMATV video I watched several times. I watched the video and thought "I can do that" I was wrong. The sales guy who sold me the tires and mousse said there are some tricks he could show me to mount the mousse and tires. I am going to take him up on it. I used a similar ground tire machine as RMATV and 3 tire irons.
  8. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im not a fan of starting or ending at the rim lock. What works best for here is having the rim lock at about 9-10 o'clock, starting at 12 o'clock and working counter clockwise.
    That way when you get to the rim lock, there's not a lot of pressure on it and when your finishing, your not directly across from the rim lock.
    That's my way and it works for me.
    I also use 3 bead buddies at like 7, 5 and 3 o'clock positions. This really helps in getting the bead to suck down in the well of the rim.
    Try that on your setup and report back. Remember, take small bites.
    mokhtario likes this.
  9. N8

Oddometer:
    When I first put the tire on, I use the rim lock to grab it. When I move to the other side, I finish with the rim lock using a pry bar or tire iron to push in on it. 3 hands would be helpful when I do that. I may try Kevin's suggestion above next time.
  10. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I do the same when I first put the tire on. I use the rim lock to grab it. Once the first bead is over, that's when I put the rim lock at my starting position.

N8 likes this.
  11. Just4Fun11

Just4Fun11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I fought the 235/Shinko fatty install eventually winning using a couple of those wooden clamps used in high school wood shop and 6-7 irons. New tire & mousse took a minute and no way I’d want anyone to see my first go at it lol
  12. brianpc

Oddometer:
    I watched a vid last night of an Aussie fellow installing a new mousse, and he recommended cutting it at one point to make it easier to feed in, and potentially remove a section to help fitment when the mousse is new, and add it back in when the mousse shrinks over time? Anyone tried that technique?
    He also did talk about the michelin mousses being sized differently than other tire manufacturers' sizes so a bit of research is needed. He also was able to insert the mousse in the tire in about 30 seconds (or used video magic, haha).

Oops, it was Geoff Ballard:

13. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im not cutting a brand new nitro. Maybe if after all it's life it shrunk I'll cut and add pieces but I have needed to yet. Im over 100 hours with my first set
  14. brianpc

Oddometer:
    That was my thought as well upon first viewing, too. :) It seems counter-intuitive but what do I know.
  15. N8

Oddometer:
    I agree. Cutting it ain't going to help much. Technique refinement will help way more.
  16. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well an interesting, to me at least, on my mousse and d606 endeavors. Took the mousse and tire and rim to another mc shop. They were also unsuccessful in mounting the tire. The service manager called Nitro Mousse and told them what tire and what mousse they were having trouble installing. Nitro Mousse told him they don't make a mousse for a 21" d606 because of something about air pockets in the construction of the d606.

So I looked up the application chart for Nitro Mousse and will swap out the d606 front for a MT21. Dealer that sold me the d606 will take it back for a 100% refund. The dealer was very apologetic all the hassle I went through to get try to get the mousse installed.

I am off to my local cycle gear tomorrow to pick up some longer curved tire irons and three bead buddies and some tire soap.

I was initially very frustrated by this but now am feeling better as I am making progress and learning as I go.
    brianpc and N8 like this.
  17. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use two bead buddies, rim lock at the 10 o'clock position. Start at the 6 position then 8 and bead buddy, then 5 a bead buddy. Then back and forth around the tire saving the rim lock for the second to last. BUT, I cheat. The Baja No Pinch is THE tool for tubes and mousses.
  18. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I returned the front d606 since according to neutech the mousse does not work with the front d606. I got a MT21 as a replacement.

A buddy came over and brought his 'ground station' bead breaker. He said he has changed hundreds of mousses during his amateur racing career so we got to work. The front tire was still hard to do but we got the front and back done.

He did say that dual sport tires were much harder to install (due to stiff sidewall) than his strictly dirt tires.

Now need to get some free time and go ride and see how she feels with the mousse.
    brianpc and Wire hand like this.
  19. theDub

theDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took Nitromousse to Baja. Didn't work out so well for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure I just rode too fast on the pavement for too long.
  20. shortman

shortman Beta 390rr, XT300 Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is virtually no lube on that so no wonder it failed..... Several pages back in this thread @TigerTanker describes going to BaJa and riding the whole way back on the highway (something like 350 miles) with no issues at all... He then proceeded to put another 1000 miles on that same set of tires....