The Great Nitro Mousse Controversy/Tyre/Tire Discussion

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TigerTanker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is my biggest paranoia about my mousse setup - wary of not having enough lube (dealer did my first install), and I am worried about how much / how often it needs re-lubing.
    Bought myself a rabaconda to give it a shot and install them myself (might as well, never owned a tire changer before). Is the answer "use more lube than you think, then even more than that"?
  2. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use 1 tube per tire and that seems to work for me. I think I used 1.5 when installing the 345 nitro in the dunlop 803.
  3. shortman

shortman Beta 390rr, XT300 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly what @kjclark7 said above.... I used 1 tube on each of my installs and my front had lube leaking out of it for the first few rides.... I'm now at about 700 miles on that front and 50% of that has been road miles... ZERO issues so far...

Love the piece of mind of not having to worry about a flat and love not having to check my pressures... I ran TUBliss in my last set of wheels and checked the pressure every time I rode the bike.... Now I just jump on and go.... BUT.... Not being able to use the extra grip from really low pressure is the only negative I've experienced so far....
    mokhtario likes this.
  4. theDub

theDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dry as a bone. I used one entire tube of the Nitromousse lube, as instructed by Nuetech. Other than dismounting the tire and re-lubing the mousse halfway through the trip, I don't know what is to be done about preventing the lube from disappearing? Some always leaks out between the tire bead and rim, but I never see any leaking from the spoke/rimlock/valve stem hole.

I read the post you are referring to. I don't know how reconcile his first hand experience with mine. This mousse failed on day 5 of the trip. Up to that point it had seen 730 miles, 214 of which were slab, over the 5 days of riding. Riding 315 miles of pavement at one time, at 65-70 mph as TigerTanker describes, would have burnt this mousse up until there was literally nothing left of it. I went 60-65 mph for one stretch of about 25 miles, the rest of the pavement miles were 50-55 mph. The only time I saw 70 the whole trip was on the beach.

There was one other rider on our Baja trip using Nitromousse. His survived just fine and he kept speeds to 45mph religiously on the pavement sections, which is a real pain in the ass.

I love Nitromousse for trail riding and racing, but I will not use them again for dual sporting. I don't think that is the proper application for them, especially when pavement is involved. If re-lubing them and/or keeping pavement speeds impractically low is what it takes to make a mousse survive than I would rather just use tubes and put up with the occasional puncture.
    mokhtario likes this.
  5. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Did you run a rim lock with the mousse?
  6. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If that was me and I was mostly dual sporting the bike, I'd be running tubes... not tubliss or nitros.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  7. theDub

theDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes. I did everything Nuetech recommends. I ran the correct size for my tire based upon the application chart, I used an entire tube of their lube, I used a rim lock, I stayed under 75 mph.

I agree...now.

The appeal of not having to worry about tire pressure, cactus thorn punctures, or front pinch flats was just too much to resist. Based upon my own personal experience with trail riding on Nitromousse, and everything I have read around the web (including this very thread), I had 100% confidence that Nitromousse was up to a 1000+ mile Baja trip. To be honest, I was pretty surprised and disappointed when that one burned up. I was really looking forward to avoiding all the unpleasantness that comes along with changing a tire on the trail to fix a flat, and that's exactly what I ended up having to do.
    Lutz likes this.
  8. Just4Fun11

Just4Fun11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That mousse was relubed 2-3 days prior before it failed? In the one pic it looks like it was steaming or smoking. Amazingly dry looking...
  9. theDub

theDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, you only quoted part of my sentence.

I was saying that I don't know how to prevent the lube from disappearing, unless you take it apart to re-lube halfway through the ride. Which is obviously impractical.

The mousse and tire were brand new when I started. So the full tube of Nitromousse lube had been applied 4 days and 730 miles prior to failing.

That is indeed smoke in the picture. The mousse was literally burning up; it smelled quite bad.
  10. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was pretty much why just about everyone in this thread aside from TT advised against mousses for that type of riding. I can not fathom how his survived. I have pulled mine after 5 races and found them dry. That's probably 40-70 miles per race. I pull them every 3 races now. So far so good. Of course excess water, mud, or heat can degrade them quicker.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  11. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, sorry to hear about your experience, that's a bummer. I know I was influenced by the TigerTanker post to pull the trigger on mousses front & rear, but I don't do a lot of dual sporting / pavement - I have a 2nd set of OEM wheels I bought off a 500 owner going full SuMo that I keep the TKC80s on for that.

I was hoping to use the mousse setup for my day trip / weekend rides to avoid flats out of convenience/laziness (haha) since I run a low 10-12psi setup usually, so I naturally presumed it would be a good alternate setup with worry-free convenience about flats.

However, it's sounding more and more like the mousse setup is the way to go for folks who are pulling their wheels and lubing / making changes every weekend/month for races & hare scrambles - would this be an accurate use case?

As much as I love dirt biking, I am getting older, I only ride for fun/casual outings, and I don't want to become a champion trailside tube changer / flat fixer. I really hope the industry could perfect or improve the mousse / run-flat concept in the next few years. :)
    Junya likes this.
  12. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're riding trails and not prolonged roads, you don't have to relube very often.
    brianpc likes this.
  13. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I mounted my current nitro mousse I used the tube supplied by Neutech on the entire tire. I then used a bunch of "murphys soap" lube for the inside of the tire. More lube the better.

I agree if your using the bike for dual sport the Nitro Mousse, or any mousse, is probably not the way to go.

TheDub - have you looked at maybe converting your tube setup to tubeless? Several videos on youtube on how to.
  14. theDub

theDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a set of Tubliss hanging in my garage right now. I used them on my trail bike for 5079 miles / 289 hrs before I switched to mousses. I'm pretty familiar with the system. I don't believe they are the best choice for dual sporting due to their complexity.
  15. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    TD - sorry I was not clear. I was not referring to Tubliss- I was referring to converting your rim from a 'tube type' to a 'non tube type' rim and then you can use tires that don't require a tube. Several informative videos on Youtube.
    '
  16. theDub

theDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, sorry. No, I haven't considered that.
    Yard Sale likes this.
  17. Junya

Junya Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Might be a dumb question BUT Im gonna ask.
    In order to make the lubing easier would there be a way to add one or two Zerk (sp?) type fitting to a rim?
    BobcatSig likes this.
  18. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Not dumb. I had a similar question, mainly because I'm considering running mousse in my tires/
  19. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't advise it. I think you need to remove them to re-lube to get proper coverage of the lube and remove any dirt and/or debris that gets in when conditions are abnormal (wet muddy/sandy).
  20. Junya

Junya Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't used a mousse yet for anything except a desert... so ... i'll defer to you.
    But I bet it would work as a "top off" for longer adv dirt rides.