The Great Nitro Mousse Controversy/Tyre/Tire Discussion

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TigerTanker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's just me. @TigerTanker claims he got 2,000 miles out of his without even pulling them to relube. I have no clue how.
  2. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard of Baja guys doing the grease zerk thing so when they pit they just pump lube in and keep on trucking.

I just break mine down and relube. It isn't THAT much work :lol3

Saw today that Neutech has a soft version of the mousse out now. I like the firm front as is but would like to try a soft rear.

https://slavensracing.com/shop/soft-nitro-mousse-by-nuetech/
  3. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    New to Mousse; Converting from Tubeliss (which I love) to NM to lose some tool weight and gain...hopefully, some simplicity. Shinko Fatty front and Shinko 525 cheater rear. Ordered the NM that nuetech rx, both at 12 psi, but, kinda thinking I shoulda went with the 'soft' rear NM. At the same time the 525 is kinda soft anyway so... Who is running the soft NM and the 525 rear?
  4. shortman

shortman Beta 390rr, XT300 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll throw my 2 cents into the conversation now that I have some experience.... @N8 mentioned above that @TigerTanker got 2K miles out of his... I think this might be accurate IF those miles were done immediately after installing them.... I think the shelf life of the Mouses are very bad and here's why I say that... Last fall (early September 18) I ordered a set from Rocky Mountain ATV and installed them for my trip to Moab... That trip was about 3 weeks after the mousse install... Not knowing what to expect I noticed my rear was very soft (it felt like 6 PSI) after the install and on the first days ride the rear popped off the bead... So... I stopped in at one of the local shops and he said the Mousse had shrank and was too small now... He had the very same size on the shelf and installed it for me... I couldn't believe the difference... Now it felt like it had 12 PSI in it... I rode the rest of the trip without issue... They worked perfectly for about 500 miles.... Now 7 months later I still have the same tires mounted with the same mousses installed... The rear now feels like it has about 7 PSI and the front is too soft to ride because it rolls under....

So... With that said I'm going back to TUBliss because I don't ride enough to justify the cost... I truly love the idea of no flats and no rim damage but can't deal with $230 bucks every 6 months or so to replace the mousses.... If they only lasted longer while the bike is just sitting....
    BobcatSig likes this.
  5. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from the Noobs rally on my drz400 with neutech mousses front and rear. The mousses' sure gave me piece of mind when riding very rocky roads for miles and miles.

I plan to take the wheels off the bike and break the bead on one side and check the lube status. I had to do about 70 miles on slab at about 60 mph on Saturday to get back to the campground. Whatever level of lube I find I will add more.

On the slab my brother was riding behind me and he mentioned the back wheel was wobbly. I did not feel any wobble while riding. I did feel the back tire roll once on a sharp turn on the slab ( I 'may' have come into the turn a little hot :D)

I am running mt21 on the front a d606 on the rear. I learned the hard way that Neutech Mousses' are made for a d606 front.
  6. Just4Fun11

Just4Fun11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I purchased a 08 Crf450x that had nitro mousses. That was 8 months ago and the bike had afewBaja miles before I got it. While the front is slightly soft the rear is still doing fine. I’m hoping that my experience will continue with my next set of nitro mousses. Not having to think or worry about trail debris is amazing.
    The other forum thumpertalk is selling golden tire fattys 90/100-21 $78 shipped to western states. I got a couple but i doubt with my riding experience I’ll feel any difference over the $54 Shinko fatty
  7. Johnrunner89

Johnrunner89 AdventureNewb

Oddometer:
    So I went to moussee’s last month. Before this, I had never installed a tire in my life, didn’t even know the concept or anything about setting a bead etc. The installs were kind of pain, but I think taking off the tubeless was worse. So after the install of both front and rear, I did a 350 mile trip through Death Valley. I noticed that the sidewalks had streaks of what I think is lube, guessing it was residual from sidewalls or do you guys think it could of been leaking from bead area? Maybe the rims are bent from the install? I’m thinking the bead is okay since thetires stayed on for 350 miles in all kind of speed and terrain right? As far as feeling, the neutech moussee’s feel just like tubes to me.
  8. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have some streaks on the side of my rims. I 'think' it is from the tire taking a hard hit and some lube squeezing out.
    Johnrunner89 likes this.
  9. Johnrunner89

Oddometer:
    Thanks for response and glad I’m not the only one seeing this!
  10. crudmop

crudmop eTard

Oddometer:
    Mine do this all the time - as mentioned above, I think it's just when it takes a hard front hit on rocks and pushes out.
    Johnrunner89 likes this.
  11. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jognrunner89: Very impressive. I've installed dusins of tires, and was about to end my life when i had to remove a set of mousses for the first time.
    The "splash" marks are normal
    Johnrunner89 likes this.
  12. Johnrunner89

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I used a Rabaconda Tire Changer so don’t give me to much credit lol
  13. N8

Oddometer:
    This year I started leaving the valve stem hole unplugged while installing the mousse. Once I've got it in, I used the rubber-tipped blow gun method to seemingly seat the bead better, and then I caulk the hole shut so that I can just poke the caulk out the next time. I have noticed much less lube coming out of the bead and so far it seems like the mousse stays lubed longer. Just a helpful hint that's worked for me. My nitro's lasted all year last year with racing almost every weekend. Any improvement in longevity would be icing on the cake.
    socalluke, BobcatSig and Lutz like this.
  14. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was looking at my rim and was reminded I had put rubber plug in the hole where the valve stem would normally go. I've been wondering 'can I put a zerk fitting' in that hole to add lube periodically? I think zerk fittings are just pressed into place, correct? Or could I put something in there just when I want to add more lube?

I've looked online for info about adding a zerk to a mc rim with no luck. Anyone have a link to maybe how the baja guys add lube to their mousse as mentioned above?
  15. N8

Oddometer:
    I swear that question has been asked thrice in this thread alone. :D
  16. shortman

shortman Beta 390rr, XT300 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Someone in this thread did something like that. Maybe 20 pages back... I think they just used a valve stem without a core and a home made injection system into that hole
  17. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ thanks - I will go looking some more :)
  18. theDub

theDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, how many times can you stuff the same mousse? ...Asking for a friend.
  19. N8

Oddometer:
    Define stuff.
  20. theDub

theDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BobcatSig likes this.