The Great Nitro Mousse Controversy/Tyre/Tire Discussion

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TigerTanker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never done it, sorry.
  2. SilverFerret

SilverFerret Motor Psycho Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the local bike shop install a 90/90-21 NM in my Continental TR8 90/90-21 tire. Now the tire is not sitting in the rim properly. Half the tire is farther in the rim than the other half. See pictures below. There is a line around the whole tire and it is not equally spaced in the rim. Is there an easy fix or do I have to get the tire put on again?
    IMG_0138.jpg IMG_0139.jpg IMG_0140.jpg IMG_0141.jpg
  3. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bead isn't set. Try using compressed air via an air gun in the old valve stem hole to temporarily air up the the tire to set it.

The rear on my Beta is like that. I've tried airing it up to set the bead, but once the air pressure vents out it just slips back off again. Haven't noticed any adverse affects while riding/racing it.
  4. SilverFerret

SilverFerret Motor Psycho Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, That's what I thought. I tried air in the valve hole but it didn't do anything. The problem is it wobbles a lot when riding. Should I take the tire off and put it back on again? The mousse size seems to match up with the tire on NM website.
  5. crudmop

crudmop eTard

Oddometer:
    You don't want to ride it with the bead not set - you can very easily have the tire start working off the rim once it folds even a little bit. Ask me how I know.:doh

When this happens on mine, I usually take a few spoons and work the tire off the rim a bit and then back into the bead. It might require moving around the rim doing this before you finally get the whole thing seated. In addition, add some soapy water along the bead edge as well, bounce the tire, etc.
  6. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had this same issue and solved it my bouncing the tire several times on the areas where the bead was not set. Thankfully this solved the problem for me.

By 'bouncing' I mean it was more of a controlled thrown down onto the pavement - not just gently dropping the tire to the ground.
  7. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s what I’ve done to mine in the past as well. I’ve also had to screw on a rubber tip to my blowgun, and blast air in the valve stem hole. The only difficult part of that is, is if you put a rubber plug into the backside of the rim hole...then you don’t have a place to blast in air. I’ve also even resorted to a very, very short ride to get the tire to seat.
  8. emmi

emmi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kinda stoked on making the switch to mousses.

Getting ready for the install (which i've never done before), I decided to save money on the rabaconda and try from the tusk catalog. THEY WORKED REALLY WELL! had a bit of difficulty trying to learn how to get the bead lock in but overall took about 15 minutes including me walking around and looking for things. I decided to leave the stem hole open in case I need to shoot air into it to seat the bead. Just covered it with a piece of tape.

Migolito, HBSURFDAD and N8 like this.
  9. N8

Oddometer:
    Nice vid. First off, start with the sprocket side down. Your knuckles will appreciate it. Those Tusk curved irons at 12:00, 2:00, & 10:00 will help you with that first bead. Push the tire against the bead and then spoon over the 2:00 and 10:00 irons. The 12:00 iron should be pretty easy to finish it. For the 2:00 & 10:00 irons, I used the curved side against the tire. For the 12:00, I use the straight side. I'll watch the rest of your video later.

Edit: For the 2nd half, this is what I do. I loosen the wing nut and spin the wheel 180 degrees in the tusk stand. FYI, I don't even have the bead breaker attached anymore. I use all irons rather than bead buddies, but the bead buddies work fine for bead ramps too. Install a bead buddy or iron at 5:00, then one at 7:00, then one at 3:00, then one at 9:00. Now fit 2 tire irons in at about 1:00 and 11:00 straddling the beadlock. Push the beadlock in and spoon those last 2 over. It should require a lot less effort than what your video showed for the last bit, but I think that was because you already had the beadlock in so that part of the tire was staying up on the bead of the rim. I use more irons than that, but I was trying to adjust for what you have. All you would do is shorten the spaces between them as you go around the rim. They are just acting as ramps just like the bead buddies. You flip the irons around the opposite way when you're sticking them in for ramps.

Hope that all made sense. Again, nice video - thanks for sharing.

Edit #2: I rethought this and I think you need either more bead buddies or more tire irons to do it with less effort. A ramp at 2:00, 4:00, 6:00, 8:00, & 10:00 should allow you to put the last 2 irons in at 11:00 and 1:00 and get the tire over the beadlock spot with little effort. I still think I personally use more than that...I count 3 spoke gaps as I'm going around and stick a bead ramp in.
    emmi likes this.
  10. emmi

emmi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips! I'm still waiting for my front mousse to arrive so I will try your pointers (especially since i heard the front tires are harder).
    Davethestick and N8 like this.
  11. Rusty99

Rusty99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    lol remember the first few times I changed tyres, took me longer a lot more swearing and a quite a few band aids!
    Then I watched this video and it all became so much easier, that tyre changer is too high IMHO.

this is how it's done
    CaseyB and markbxr400 like this.
  12. N8

Oddometer:
    That's a super soft tire with a not so big mousse in it. The basics are covered though. Most tire/mousse combos won't fall apart/together that easily.
  13. Rusty99

Rusty99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agree but the basics as you say are there. Changing a tyre and putting the new larger Michelin mousse in is not easy, nor TXC80's but practice is the only way.
    N8 likes this.
  14. Just4Fun11

Just4Fun11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’d sure like to see that guy fit a new maxxis desert it 120, I bet it wouldn’t look so easy!
  15. markbxr400

markbxr400 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my Husky FE501, I installed a NitroMousse inside a Goldentyre Fatty - went on that easy on the Rabaconda. Took longer to get the old tire off and the Tubliss out than installing the new tire/mousse. Also took more time to slather on the mousse lube than to install the tire/mousse.
    Rusty99 and N8 like this.
  16. theDub

theDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lubing the inside of the tire and outside of the mousse is by far the most time consuming part. Hardly takes any time at all to get the tire/mousse combo on and off the wheel.
    markbxr400 likes this.
  17. pezracer

pezracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be trying a mousse install later this week. Are you guys removing the rubber rim strip and replacing with tape? If so, what kind of tape and how many times around? And are you sealing the valve hole or not and with what? And BTW this is for a KTM 300. Thanks!
  18. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Question: I had a shop install mousse and mount a new tire. They forgot to tighten down the bead lock and it's rather crooked against the rim. I should've checked the rim lock before mounting the wheel and riding - that's on me. How hard is it to break the bead on both sides and spin the tire and/or mousse around to straighten out the bead lock?

I have a No-Mar tire machine.
  19. Rusty99

Rusty99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I left the rubber strip and use a dummy valve to block the valve hole which help stop water ingress.
  20. markbxr400

markbxr400 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I left the Tubliss tape inside the rim, and just stuck a small piece over the valve hole to keep water out.