The Great Nitro Mousse Controversy/Tyre/Tire Discussion

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TigerTanker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have used both with no real preference. I caulk the hole so I can poke it out and use that hole as a blow hole to seat the bead, then re-caulk.

You mean pushing in on it and out a couple times won't do that? If not, I'd imagine unseating the bead just at the beadlock on one side would do it. Keep in mind you'll need ramps wedged in to the opposing side to get that tire off the rim bead there, or you're going to break the bead of the tire.
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Eh, sort of. I was able to use a wrench to well... wrench on it and get it mostly perpendicular to the rim without having to debead the tire. I'll go give it a rip this afternoon and see how it goes.
  3. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    emmi, Did you ride w the mousse's yet?
  4. SilverFerret

SilverFerret Motor Psycho Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Nitro Mousse in the rear and front of my DR650. I went riding this weekend on gravel, dirt, and some pavement. It seemed like the back end was swaying or shaking. I've had that mousse since last year and it rode fine before, although I didn't have a mousse front at the time. Could the mousse front be causing me problems? It seems like it isn't constant, just some times it feels like it is swaying back and forth.
  5. shortman

shortman Beta 390rr, XT300 Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should feel the rear to get an idea of what equivalent air pressure it might be at.... My mousses degraded over time and after 6 months and about 500 miles I felt they were too soft so I pulled them out and went back to TUBliss....
    GR8ADV likes this.
  6. markbxr400

markbxr400 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Similar experience here. I don't think I'd run a mousse on the rear (or maybe even the front) of a big bike that is run at highway speeds (or that is that heavy). I ran Tubliss front and rear on my FE501 (238lbs dry), then changed the front to nitro mousse when my front tire was shot. It was a great setup, but I was 95% offload, and 5% on-road (never above 55 mph). Your mousse may be disintegrating.

IIRC, Neutech also says you have to relube the mousse annually else it will disintegrate.
    GR8ADV likes this.
  7. SilverFerret

Oddometer:
    I left my mousse wheel on the back and put my tube wheel on the front and the bike handled much better. Could it be that the front mousse wheel is out of balance?
  8. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    You guys think new bibs on my 500 tied down in a trailer for say 3-4 days going from NJ to Moab would be ok our will they develop a flat spot ?
  9. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'll get a flat spot but it won't last long riding on it in my experience.
  10. crudmop

crudmop eTard

Oddometer:
    I've made that trip a couple of times running mousses, they'll be fine. It'll be a little chunky for a few miles and then they are aok. Have fun, make sure you hit White Wash!
  11. SilverFerret

Oddometer:
    I had a Nitro Mousse on the rear of my DR650. I loaded my bike with my go bags, and a spare front and back wheel. The weight was too much for the mousse. It was not stable and felt like a flat tire. So I found out there is a weight limit to the Nitro Mousse. A TUbliss system probably would have worked better, then I could have aired it up until it was stable. It does work fine if its just me and the bike.
  12. mokhtario

mokhtario dirt, sand & rocks

Oddometer:
    my 2 cents addressing maybe the dual sport no go idea with mousses:

I live in Lisbon Portugal and I often go on multiple day trips straight from my house (from 2 to 7 days / To Spain and back) so a lot of road are involved. Also FYI I sometimes do those trips solo.
    Long story short my last pair of Michelin bibs/mousses (regular not desert) lasted me 4400km so around 3000miles and mind you the last 450km (300 miles) had to be done full force on highway at 75-80miles/h to get back on time for some stupid stuff...brutal on EXC
    During their life they have been lube 4 times w/ 4 different pairs of tires (easy with Michelin you match your mousse with your tire size)
    NOTE: with Nitro if you decide to change tire brand (even if same size) then new mousse will need to purchase...not good for me

I am pretty sure i could have push more the front mousse for another 300miles. The rear was soft but i would say around 7-8psi.
    Anyway i did not want to push it and figure i got my money back at this point.

I would like to think Nitro could do the same thing but i have my doubts. Finally i tried going back to UHD but spare tubes & extra tools to carry plus 20psi in the front does not work for me. Not to mention when you ride solo the peace of mind of not even thinking of a flat is true bike luxury. BTW i had tubliss in the past and its great but not bomb proof and where do you air up 100psi (each day) on a 5 days trip in the middle of nowhere ?

Anyway i figured i share my experience because i am very interested of what Nitro can bring to the table compare to Michelin but i don't see much so far.
    Cheers guys
    PS: 2019 KTM 500 Six Days
    silentsnake and brianpc like this.
  13. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    58619875519__F0F47F8F-6C42-4E58-8D6A-439CA19FF090.jpg
    58619550830__677AE6E2-7FA7-4B76-ADCD-18A6580D0A43.jpg

New Nitro Platinums
  14. theDub

theDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You use the mini pump that you are carrying.
    lonsomecrow, Pundy and brianpc like this.
  15. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Lol!!
    Those are for me and the crew.
    Headed to Ouray then Moab!
    JerseyJeeper and Pundy like this.
  17. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent, I'm looking forward to your ride report.
    DockingPilot likes this.
  18. JerseyJeeper

JerseyJeeper Pine Dog

Oddometer:
    No wonder you've been putting all that seat time in! NICE!
    DockingPilot likes this.
  19. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    DockingPilot likes this.
  20. Just4Fun11

Just4Fun11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    D1D4E9A5-0947-4B73-AB6C-0FD8B4C559E2.jpeg
    I got home an seen this *whew*
    redkerk84, GLantern and N8 like this.