Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TigerTanker, Jul 26, 2017.
20hr lube session (first relube done at 10 hours). Still plenty of nitromousse lube in it.
2 things I have found greatly increase the amount of time the mousse stays lubed:
1. Use the rubber-tipped blow gun trick to seat the bead of the tire on the rim fully after mousse install.
2. A mousse that is not too small for the tire it's in.
I jokingly said to @kjclark7 that maybe @TigerTanker wasn't too far off with how long the front mousse could last now that I've been running the NM21-235 in the M59 using the blow gun trick. Every time I pull it, it's still got plenty of lube. I do NOT recommend the NM21-220 in the M59. I ran that combo for 2 seasons and the 235 is so much better in there.
Bead not seating on rear tire. Hi, I have a question about seating the bead. I’m a first time mousse user. I put a nitro mousse (soft version) on a beta xtrainer, paired with a 120 shinko 525 cheater. Mousse is new, tire has about 50 miles on it. I can’t get the bead to seat completely. There is a 4 inch section on one side and a 5 inch section on the other side. It only needs to come out about 1/16 of an inch to be fully seated. I’ve tried bouncing, a mallet, adding air, trying to pry it out, and slowly riding it a short distance. Some people say just ride it as long as it stays on the rim (1 rim lock in place). What’s the consensus? I don’t want to ruin the mousse or my tire/rim. Is it okay to run not seated that small amount? I ride single track, rarely over 25 mph. Thanks in advance!
Elaborate please. Rubber-tipped blow gun in one of the rim holes is the best way I've found. I also glaze the tire bead with a thin layer of lube after I put the mousse in. If any part of the bead didn't push out upon install, it pops right out with a shot of air.
That’s exactly what I tried, I guess I’ll keep working at it. Thanks
My next course of action is to dismount it and put a tubeless valve stem in to hopefully get more pressure than the rubber nozzle.
If/when I ever mount a mousse, I'll be adding a tubeless valve stem on the first try for that reason, whether it's needed or not. It can't hurt at all, but it sure might help a lot. If you do go that route, make sure you add the blast of air with the core removed from the stem...a trick of the bead-seating trade.
Do you have the rimlock installed with a rubber grommet or something under the nut on the outside of the rim? This will keep all the air you are shooting in from escaping out the rimlock hole.
Got home from work and put a rubber washer on the rim lock, used an old valve stem from a car wheel and mashed it into the other hole. I wedged a tire iron into the sections that didn't seat and shot some tire lube on it then used about 80 psi and it popped out where it should be. I really appreciate the tips, when I change tires im going to install a valve stem just for seating purposes. Thanks Everyone!
I'm doing something similar to USNRELIC. I like the idea of having the option to blow air in without jeopardizing the ability to keep the wheel sealed and mostly watertight.
Just cut up an old tube.
I put together a spare rim for my 450x, maxxis desert it 120 & 305 mousse. It went together after about a 30 minute wrestling sweating match. But I had the same issue of one area not beading up. It was still on the cheapie tusk tire mounting jig, flipped it around and started pushing the bead down 180* from the unseated bead. Popped right up, I used almost 2 tubes of lube which might have helped. Def appreciate this thread!
Not sure where you got that info from, but you can fit an old NitroMousse to a different tire brand AND/OR size if you want. See the application chart:
In fact I have done that exact thing - I run them for a while in a 120/100 or 140/80 and then downsize to 110/100 when the Mousse shrinks a little
I have even used a UHD to sleeve the Mousse to get extra life out of it. (Having used one set for over a year, 150 hours, on a 300 it seems like the front almost never wears out)
Same blowgun trick to seat them when used as others here have posted.
I had 1600 miles of mostly dirt on a Bridgestone X 40 110/100/18 with -305 mousse. Took it to 3 bros for a tire change (Mx52) yesterday they found somebody’s needle nose pliers. Around 400 miles ago I noticed a puncture between the knobs and never thought more about it..
You can see where the nose of the pliers bent off the rim. And the whole mess just sucked inside the tire.
The mousse looked like new and well lubed.. minus the gash.
More than one person thinks I might’ve hit a trail spike. Or, it was my fault and I’m stupid because I ran over some pliers out in the dirt..
Either way, controversy over. Drop the Mic
That's crazy. Kinda cool that you had a freaking pair of pliers in your damn tire and were able to ride anyway.
Those of you having trouble getting the tire bead to fully seat, take a look at my post on 8/18/2018 for an approach that worked for me when nothing else would...
I was riding in Downieville, CA last weekend, and when we got back to the truck I noticed this cut in my tire. There is some sharp volcanic rock around, so I just figured that's what cut the tire. No big deal, just kept riding and didn't even notice thanks to the Nitromousse.
I had a race this weekend, so had to put on a new tire. When I took everything apart, I found it wasn't just a cut in the tire, but this big-ass stick had gone through the tire and all the way through the mousse.
Certainly would have ruined my day with tubes or Tubliss. And it reinstalled that mousse, of course.