The Great Nitro Mousse Controversy/Tyre/Tire Discussion

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TigerTanker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. shortman

shortman Beta 500 RS, X-Trainer 250 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes they shrink... I had to stop using them because, like you, I only ride the bike a few times a year. Love the Nitro mousses and the feeling of not having to worry about a flat at all but not really worth the $$$ if you don't use the bike a lot. Plus... Here is the Southeast... Being able to vary air pressure for different situations is useful.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  2. theDub

theDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I only rode a bike 3-4 times per year, I would just stick with tubes, IMO.
    markbxr400 likes this.
  3. markbxr400

markbxr400 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    One thing you can do is add sections (pie shaped wedges of the mousse rings) both initially to full fill the tire, and later to "reinflate" when they've gone softer to get a little more life out of them. Depending on who you purchase from, some will send you extra wedge material.
  4. crudmop

crudmop eTard

Oddometer:
    Ok - so this is a long term test of nitro mousse over 2400 miles of varying conditions (northeast trail riding, desert, northeast enduro, everything from Moab and the Grand Canyon to the Berkshires) in varying temps (N/E cold winter, humid summers, 110+ in the desert). I lubed them on initial install and didn’t touch them again until tonite. They’ve had varying levels of moisture get in (lost the plug to the old valve hole in the Berks in 3ft deep mud and water).

Diameter is nearly the same as the new mousses I’m installing, no real damage except for a couple of slashes along the outside diameter. They felt a bit more mushy when riding on them, but seeing this makes me wonder just how far you can go on them. I’m both surprised and super impressed.

Adjustments.jpg
    jonz, markbxr400, GLantern and 3 others like this.
  5. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great info, thank you!
  6. crudmop

crudmop eTard

Oddometer:
    The front is a little worse for wear - but to me this makes sense considering the work it does and the hits it takes. Quite a bit of splitting and chunking (I’ve rolled up the pieces to better show them, but they sit flat in the tire).

Still - I cannot believe how well these survived considering how long they were used. The foam has no visible lube, but the foam still feels soft and has no really dryness that would suggest additional lubing would be necessary.

Adjustments.jpg
    GLantern likes this.
  7. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Crudmop. This is the kind of real world experience that I have had running Nitro's as well. I'm amazed that folks are still having bad experiences with bibs. I love not having to carry tire tools and worry about flats. I don't think I'll ever go back to using any other system in my tires.
    crudmop likes this.
  8. crudmop

crudmop eTard

Oddometer:
    I just said these exact words to someone in an earlier conversation - I can't imagine going back to tubes of any kind.

For anyone considering them - just plunk down the $ and do it - and buy a handful of bead buddies. Using @kjclark7 's method of mounting (clockwise, rimlock at 10 oclock, BB on 3/5/7/9) - they really aren't bad to install.
  9. markbxr400

markbxr400 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Were you running multiple rimlocks with your mousse?
  10. crudmop

crudmop eTard

Oddometer:
    No - just the one
  11. GLantern

GLantern A Nut Behind The Bars

Oddometer:
    I'm with crudmop on this, I just replaced 2 year old mousse's and they looked BRAND NEW. I easily could have ran them another season without any problems but the tires needed replacing and I just wanted all new stuff for the season.

There is no way I will ever go back to tubes, the confidence these give is second to none as I never have to worry about a popped tube stopping me and I carry half of the tools I used to! They are worth every $$.

O and don't forget the part about harassing your buddies when they do pop a tube on the trail :D
  12. shortman

Oddometer:
    After that seeing these last few post it makes me wonder if I could have had bad mousses last year... I had only ridden about 500 miles on mine and the bike sat for a while in the basement during the winter but when I got it out (spring 2019) they were so soft that I felt like the tire was gonna pop off the bead so I pulled them out and went back to TUBliss setup front /rear.... :(
  13. GLantern

GLantern A Nut Behind The Bars

Oddometer:
    Did you use the fitment chart and make sure you had the right ones for your tires?
  14. shortman

Oddometer:
    Yep. Sure did.
  15. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have experience with drilling their mousses?
    Wondering about longevity.
  16. SilverFerret

SilverFerret Motor Psycho Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am taking out my NitroMousse and putting a tube back in. Is there an easy way to get all the mousse lube, duck tape adhesive, etc off the inside of my rim?
  17. shortman

Oddometer:
    WD40. Then soap/water
  18. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a great vid on the various tire systems. If you're considering a mousse set up, this is all the info you need.
    adv_sacrifice likes this.
  19. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to preface this question with saying ive never popped a tube on the trail *knock on wood*

But i went out riding by myself at one of the national forest ohv trails this past saturday. Spent 4-5 hours out alone and rode 34 miles. This isnt stuff id be able to push the bike out of and would be quite the walk to the truck and back. Im not interested in hauling a tube and pump on my back either.

Typically run 12psi right now. Is there any reason i shouldnt just give the soft mousse a try? Or should i get the 12psi one? Either getting a mousse or continue taking my chances
    BobcatSig likes this.
  20. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should definitely try the soft mousse. Switching to bibs will change so many things about riding for you, and 99% of that will be positive, IMO.
    BobcatSig and adv_sacrifice like this.