The Great Nitro Mousse Controversy/Tyre/Tire Discussion

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TigerTanker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whats the opinion on the front? Rock a tube still? Just curious what people are doing
  2. morgan9283

morgan9283 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't find much info on drilling so I just gave it a try last season--I drilled a set of standard nitro mousses August of last year: after 2-3 races they were noticeably hard so I drilled 1/2-3/4" holes centrally every few inches. They broke in almost immediately and felt great which for me I'm learning means very soft: if the bike isn't rolling sideways in turns the mousse isn't soft enough for me: I love the way they absorb obstacles. I have maybe 80 hours on them since then. The rear had shrunken when I got it (small diameter) probably because it was old stock and it split on one of the drill points within a ride or two of drilling--I stuffed some chunks of old mousse in and rode it for most of those +/- 80 hours. The front got very pancaked but still held the beat and felt great--both the front and rear showed significant evidence of rolling but held the bead solidly through a mix of sand and rocks enduros (I mostly race). I'm a mid-pack C rider but I ride a lot on tough terrain. I'm religious about lubing and use Nuetech's lube. I'm just replacing them now but from a chat with Nuetech I could have continued to run them: as long as they're holding the bead you and you like the feel they say they're safe to run. One issue is the broken rear mousse felt funky on pavement and would throw rim strips (they came out around the bead). Nuetech's tubliss rim tape stayed in place but I do wonder if you need a rim strip with mousses. I'm trying Nuetech's soft mousses now as drilling doesn't seem like an ideal solution and Nuetech says it reduces life. We'll see how they work out!
  3. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I went with mousse last year on my 250 XC-W and it's been terrific, especially when I want to go lightweight.

Yes absolutely. In fact, I've heard more people do front only if they are adding mousse to only one tire. For me, if you're making that leap, send it and do front and rear.

Keep in mind that there will be a break-in period where the mousse will be stiffer than you'd like. After a few rides, they break in and you get the soft, squishy, thunky goodness.

I'll also recommend that you size your mousse specific to the tire you're running. For example, Goldentyre makes mousses specifically for their different tires. Same with Michelin. A good tire shop should be able to help with this.
    adv_sacrifice likes this.
  4. adv_sacrifice

Oddometer:
    appreciate it. i havent changed the front tire yet so ill probably rock it a little longer until it comes time then ill do a mousse if im liking the rear (running a tusk recon right now)
  5. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Unless you have yourself a Rabaconda tire machine, you're going to want a shop to install those mousses. Plus, it's just good business to support your local shop.
  6. adv_sacrifice

Oddometer:
    Ill figure it out:beer
    NoelJ likes this.
  7. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    NM21-235 + M59 FTW.
  8. bhmax

bhmax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just read through all this. I had the Nitros installed over two years ago on a WR without really knowing too much about them. I don’t have enough dirt experience to compare the exact feel compared with tubes, but I thought it was awesome doing some solo trail riding and not having to worry about a flat.

I sold the WR, and am reading up on these a bit more for my next bike. Curious about any more input on the newer soft versions. Also, found it interesting about certain tires like the 21” D606 not having a NM available. Looks like they now have a “210” that fits it and is recommended for others also.
  9. jekaio

jekaio Ride The Lightning

Oddometer:
    what kind of road miles are you guys putting on the meeses?

the heat buildup warning on pavement is the only thing that has ever kept me away from them.

'17 501 and ride pavement to trails, with some trails being 25-30 miles away.
  10. adv_sacrifice

Oddometer:
    One down...took 3 hours from removing the wheel off the bike. No tire changing stand. Ended up using vice grips and some "vice grip" style crescent wrenches. Honestly thought these worked better than the little trail buddys or bead buddy. I had trouble moving the trail buddys once my hand got slick and they didnt seem to hold the bead down far enough.

95% sure i didnt tear the bead but some rubber did kinda get chewed up around the bead. Guess ill know when i go ride it.

Tusk recon with 12hrs/165 miles of use.

20200521_200843.jpg
  11. crudmop

crudmop eTard

Oddometer:
    4 or 5 bead buddies help - and not starting on the rim lock so you can get a little more drop on the 180 make it a bit easier. I started using [mention]kjclark7 [/mention]’s method and it really made the whole process pretty painless.
  12. adv_sacrifice

Oddometer:
    I finished at the rim lock on the second side.
  13. adv_sacrifice

Oddometer:
    Front went so much smoother. Gt216aa fatty. Looking forward to trying it out with the mousse. Extra spoons didnt hurt this time around either though
    crudmop likes this.
  14. socalluke

socalluke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like the Nitro mousse front with Tubliss rear for off road applications! The new Nitro mousse in the standard pressure is now "gray"
    Some friends like the soft mousse in the back for low speed tech riding where max traction is required.
  15. crudmop

crudmop eTard

Oddometer:
    I’ve found the first 10-20 miles on fresh mousses are bouncy and need to settle-in a bit before they feel good.