The Great Nitro Mousse Controversy/Tyre/Tire Discussion

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TigerTanker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even when installing a tube they make it look easy, shoving it on without any tire levers for the most part. Removal and install in less than 5 minutes. They do it all the time though and are probably demonstrating with a soft tire.
    TigerTanker likes this.
  2. TigerTanker

TigerTanker Husqurducycle

Oddometer:
    Many things in life of somewhat complicated matters, you have to do something 3 times to get it right. First time is bad, better the next, figured it out by the third time.

Clearly, with Mousse work, technique and tools are everything.....goes for all tire changing. Slightly wrong in either technique or tools requires compensation of physical energy.

So, I guess we plan on getting the right tools, and we also discussed mounting the tire changing/bead breaker tool on a table. Easier on the body to be elevated, and that way the sucker isn't sliding around on a dirty floor etc. Any thoughts and comments about setting up a work space for doing this right?

Definitely going to invest in the tire irons.

I bought the Silglyde lubricant from Napa auto not realizing that in the Mousse box was the proprietary formula included. We only used the Silglyde and it's excellent, and clearly isn't going anywhere else other than where you want it.
    Didn't open up the Nuetech lubricant tube but I'm assuming it too is quality stuff so ... the Silglyde tube as about $7 and probably good for about 2-3 installs.

When we removed the wheels, we did thoroughly wash the wheels with soapy water, dried them off, then applied rim tape....think Dan's brand of choice is "Gorilla Tape" two times round.

When we lubed the mousse, we applied it evenly on the product, then I applied the lube to the innner and outer bead. I cannot see any sort of point in slathering it all over the entire internal carcass of the wheel? At $7 per bottle...that seems incredibly wasteful, since you're already putting all over the entire mousse? I'll have to clarify with Nuetech.

In the past, Nuetech has given me some tire advice about TUbliss, tires that work best with that product, and that's part of why Dan and I have been pretty regular buyers of Pirelli MT43 and Sedona 907...he also will buy the D606 front and back for his Baja stuff, and by the looks of just how much there was left of those after a couple thousand miles, can see why he likes that for the fast and long Baja runs. But for Mousse riding, perhaps the product favors another type of tire, perhaps softer sidewalls instead of hard for the TUbliss? I'll be asking for some guidance and top pics.

Being a huge fan of the MT43 but wanting the added benefits of very low PSI when using that tire in big elevation changing areas, going to wanna experiment with altering a brand new mousse to soften it up from the replicated 12 psi, to something more like 6. I'm thinking of drilling holes into the product, as apparently some folks do, and will ask about the proper direction and size of holes to do this without compromising the product or it's life expectancy.

If any of you have potential questions for Nuetech, let me know and I'll include that in my call to them.

Finally, a big thanks to both @Dan950ser for his garage, help, but most importantly a huge thanks to @Eldon for coming over and finishing the last tough part and bringing the swagger necessary to get us over the hump. Confidence and determination are sometimes very important in getting a tricky job done.
    dreezy, Eldon and N8 like this.
  3. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    Yeah I will definitely be adding some new irons to my tools after seeing the curved one Lee brought over. The front was a breeze compared to that read Sedona 907.
    TigerTanker likes this.
  4. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I failed to mention this but I also used Gorilla tape (1" wide I think) but only a single pass. It's critical to "seal" the inside of the rim from the elements, mainly water & dirt.
  5. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    It certainly is a good idea to find some helpful videos, watch them a few times, and TAKE notes. This kind of work is incredibly dirty and greasy, so having the vids already viewed repeatedly and having taken notes will keep your technical products from getting filthy.

There are some crucial steps. Also important to take a break, and clear your head, catch your breath is struggling. Avoid drinking too much or starting too late in the day .... otherwise the next day could be compromised and your spouse might be wondering why there's all that cussing and clanking going on in the garage. Fortunately for me, I had just the right amount of adult beverages to still allow my normal wake up of 630am....
  6. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reminder. My Michelin Bib Mousse was removed from my thoroughly worn out 907 rear. This tire had started back in the Desert 100 (April) race then gone with me on my western USA road trip and seen all sorts of long hard rides, and some very hot temps at 107 degrees, then a bunch of my vacation mountain duty.... I was execting to see a somewhat fatigued mousse come out? LOL, it was a little bit dirty, but had enough lube on it to last far longer. Perhaps 1700-2000 miles? What REALLY surprised me, was that the Mousse didn't appear shrunken at all AND....it looked BRAND NEW!
  7. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    I make 3-4 passes with gorilla tape when I seal a rim. Otherwise the nipples will poke through. Which in this particular case is a bad thing.
    TigerTanker likes this.
  8. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    More pics of the TJ with the aluminum fenders please...
  9. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    @Dan950ser is the brains, budget, and muscles behind that build. I'm sure he's got some good pictures queued up that he can post.
  10. Dan950ser

Oddometer:
    I do but Photobucket is now a BS site and doesn't work anymore so I haven't figured out another way to post pics yet.
  11. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    Okay, a quick off topic then back to your regularly scheduled programming.

IMG_3843.jpg IMG_4262.jpg IMG_4126.jpg
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  12. Dan950ser

Oddometer:
    These are mostly older pics. It's so damn close now just trying to find time to button up the small things. I need to cut and fit my sliders, make a skid for the t case, modify and mount rear bumper, weld intake support mount to top of shock tower, and wire in my rear LED tail lights.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  13. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    Ok, I submitted a bunch of follow up questions for Nuetech, but looks like my contact is on vacation this week. So....braaappp on for now.

Eldon and I are headed to Gifford Pinchot forest for a ride Saturday. GP is considered a Super Bowl type arena for the sport, so both of us are pretty stoked about riding the area. It is in a triangle between Mt Rainier, Mt Adams, and the legendary volcano that blew up ...Mt St Helens. Here's a pic from an epic adventure I had with Dan last year with a guy from Portland that joined us.

GOPR1651.JPG Gifford 015.JPG Gifford 016.JPG Gifford 023.JPG
  14. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    Nuetech called me today and provided some answers to some questions I had.

· We struggled a bit with the final part of installing a Sedona 907 rear. I’m assuming that the stiff sidewall was part of the problem, but we had very small tire irons….vids seem to indicate bigger ones. From a tool stand point, what is the ultimate tire iron/assisting tools (bead buddy etc) you can think of?

=LONG SPOONS are key with a mousse! (opposite from a TUbliss) And a bead buddy, vise grips or even the box end of a larger wrench opposite of where you are prying helps to get bead into the drop center of the rim

· I had a tire changing tool, floor type with bead breaker. Nice to have, but we felt we should table mount it for leverage and not slipping around?

This is a preference thing! – And based on this comment you would probable also really like the Rabaconda type changing stand too!

· You’ve advocated stiff sidewall tires for TUbliss, and have some favorites. For Nitro Mousses, assume that doesn’t matter?

GREAT QUESTION: Overall the NITROmousse seems to do better with soft sidewall tires (still sidewall tires will need a few heat cycles to break in).

· Do you have suggestions for favorite tires, front and back with the Mousse? I would like longevity as a key factor.

For technical trail stuff I would suggest the SHINKO 505 cheater for the rear & the SHINKO 546 90/100-21 front

· I’m considering an experiment with a rear mousse and a Pirelli MT43, drilling holes for softening it up to 6-8 psi. Do you have suggestions on how to drill, size of hole, how many, etc?

Let’s talk about this more okay?

· Has the drilling of the mousses for softening them had an effect on lifespan or wear pattern?

Yes, it WILL shorten the life of the mousse for sure – BUT compared to other mousses it is MUCH, MUCH BETTER!!

· Where do you have videos and or installation advice regarding your product?

On the website: under “installation”

· What are the best practices of rim tape with the product?

Tape up any holes in the rim with a good tape

· Lubrication… I applied generously to the mousse, and the inside and outside of the bead. Slathering the lube all over the internal carcass seemed overkill and messy….expensive to boot. Guidance on where and what to lube?

USE OUR LUBE. The full tube is enough (the silglyde is good too – but use the same amount as ours) -

· For temp lubrication in install, we sprayed a bit of soapy water here and there, assume it doesn’t have too much effect on the Silglyde?

PERFECT!

· Do you have product stickers for this product yet?

Will be here in the next 2-3 weeks.

· Best way to protect rim from scratches during install and removal?

Just being careful! – Motion Pro makes a rim guard too for this (however using this is a pita) –
    Retumbo7 likes this.
  15. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    Regarding the Lubrication, they say that you should use the ENTIRE tube included with the product. That is quite a bit of lube...

They indicated that he'd prefer you to lube less on the mousse itself, and MORE on the internal carcass of the tire. They say that folks use paint brushes and oily rags for even application of the lube.
  16. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    The manipulation of the mousse, by drilling, they aren't done testing whether lateral drilling or horizontal drilling is the best. Drilling is an at risk thing, and race teams in Africa that do this typically only get one ride out of their competitor products but reports that the Nitro has gotten up to 3 races. Nuetech says that these races are high heat, friction events with never ending rock fields (gee that sounds fun....).
  17. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    From the NM website.... these are the preferred installation vids.

Damn this girl....
  18. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
  19. Dan950ser

Oddometer:
    Have to say it. I told you so. :photog
    TigerTanker likes this.
  20. TigerTanker

Oddometer: