The Great Nitro Mousse Controversy/Tyre/Tire Discussion

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TigerTanker, Jul 26, 2017.

1. TigerTanker

TigerTanker Husqurducycle

Oddometer:
    sED8frog, Jedi2Rider and MadM like this.
  2. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    There are two pdf files at ....

One for installation, one for removal. These appear to be well written and include pictures, tools, diagrams etc.

http://nitromousse.com/
  3. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't looked, how much are spare tubes of lube? How much of the used stuff can be reused if you are swapping tires for different terrain?
  4. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tubes of lube are $3-$4 on rocky mtn. Not sure what you mean by reused but unless a bunch of crap got in there I'd just add lube and roll with it.
  5. TigerTanker

Oddometer:
    Nuetech was very specific. Use their lube or silglyde. Silglyde tube runs 6 bucks in a tube the size for one application.

Perhaps a larger size is more cost effective.

Nuetech folks say that mousse and petroleum type products can have strange and damaging reactions.
  6. N8

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. I was referring to their lube which is available separately on rocky mtn. It's the same tubes that come with the mousses. I've bought a few so far.
    TigerTanker likes this.
  7. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes by reuse I mean remove tire from rim, remove mousse from tire, scrape out excess lube and put in new tire, insert mousse and mount tire. I assume if it's contaminated with dirt and gravel it should not be reused.
  8. N8

Oddometer:
    Yeah, do that...although I don't think you're going to have excess lube just laying in the tire. A thin film at best.
  9. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the videos I've seen looks like a lot of grease being smeared in the tire, just thought there may be excess.
  10. N8

Oddometer:
    I hear ya, but the times that I've pulled mine apart I didn't have a scrapable layer. I always keep at least 1 full tube on hand.
    Bungholio likes this.
  11. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is precisely what I wanted to know.
  12. josea1952

josea1952 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any mixed used mileage numbers?
  13. N8

Oddometer:
  14. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm here and all ears since I'm looking at going to the nitro mousse.
    I've been running tubliss for over 200+ hours with no issues at all. I think I've had 3 or 4 punctures in that timeframe and all those were fixed on the trail in a few minutes with co2 and plugs.
    TT, what were you doing to your tubliss to cause a failure???
    I do race enduros (i do about 10 races a year) but I'm mostly trail rider. I'm a mid pack bvet racer and ride mostly rocks but I do race a couple sand races in the year.
    I've only got 1 puncture in a race but I was able to ride it out and fix at the next reset. That was one benefit of running harder sidewall tires.
    But having the peace of mind in not getting a flat and not having to ever check tire pressure has peaked my interest in bibs.
    With the nitro mouses being a little less money than the Michelin and their claims on lasting 2 times longer than bibs, it's something I might have to try.
    I only have 2 more races this year and I don't know if it's worth switching now. I'd like to see how you guys make out with yours and see how long they actually last.
    I'd also have to change up my tire selections since ill need a softer rear tire now with the bib.
    I like 3 different front tires and 5 different rears and when looking at the nitro fitment chart, the front tires I like take 2 different mousses and the rear take 4 different sizes. So I really need to narrow my selections.
    I wonder if I'd be able to just get the biggest mousse and cut a piece out to fit the smaller tires?
    Obviously cost is a big factor in getting these. I'm really hoping that a set would last me 2 years. If that's the case, I'd get them in a heartbeat. Or maybe I just run them for races at first and see how they work.
    Anyway, I'm sure sooner or later ill switch so I decided to make a mousse changing stand. I already have a nomar tire changer for my street tires so I figured I could incorporate that and use the bead breaker since that is really helpful in changing bibs.
    I ended up getting an old 15 inch car rim and attached a threaded rod to the center. I'll clamp the rim into the nomar and place the dirt bike rim on top. That way I can use the bead breaker for install/ removal of bib s.
    I did do 2 your tire changes already with my tubliss setup and the stand works great. It's much better than working on the floor.

I have to come up with a better rim protector on the base rim but the hose works for now.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    MadM likes this.
  15. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I caved and ordered a front and rear nitro mousse. Should be here next week. Ill post up pics and maybe do a install vid.
    I'll keep you posted!

16. crudmop

crudmop eTard

Oddometer:
    I've got about the same experience that you have with Tubliss (and riding in the same areas that you do). I've yet to have a front tire that doesn't get punched on the rimlock (I run an m59 front, and seem to punch in the same places at Hancock, PA or MA riding) - it's fantastic to have such an easy trailside fix, but I keep mulling over the idea of going with nitro mousses and never having to deal with the problem again (I've added them to my cart at least 5 times already lol). Very interested to see how you like them.
  17. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm very interested to. I'm hoping for the best but I'm definitely concerned on the hard feeling of them since I'm used to running low pressure.

crudmop likes this.
  18. crudmop

crudmop eTard

Oddometer:
    It's like you're the voice in my head - same concern. Thanks for being the guinea pig
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  19. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Believe me, I was waiting for other guinea pigs (there is one out there right @N8) but you won't really know till you try it for yourself. Seems like there's good feedback on longevity so I bit the bullet.
    I'm not to concerned with the mount/ dismount part since I've been changing tires for years (I used to do it for Friends and guys on this forum a while back). Like anything else, its all technique.
    I will video my first install so you guys can see how I fare.
    I'm trying to decide on what front to mount. I have a half used shinko 546 and a brand new washougal 2dc. New tire and new bib will be a stiff setup so I'm on the fence on what to do there.
    The rear I just got a new cheater installed on with tubliss and I'll run that this Sunday at an enduro. 65 miles should break that tire in some.

20. crudmop

crudmop eTard

Oddometer:
    Every video I've watched make it look reasonably easy - videos never lie, right? It's always EXACTLY like the video.

Good luck at Michaux - looks like the weather will be perfect.
    kjclark7 likes this.