The Great Southwest Tour of 2013

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Mr_Gone, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make sure you do a ride report? Post up your link here.
  2. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I'll probably do a short ride report when I get back. I doubt I'll do a ride report from the road... I like to be very disconnected when I travel. No computer, no tablet, and I usually only check my cell phone at the end of the day.

I do, however, plan on taking tons of photos.

Right now I'm trying to finalize my route.
  3. forxlr8n

forxlr8n Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found this thread to day. I'm on the 17th also from Dublin, Va and I have to be in Troy,Mi on the 29th for a confrence. I'm also going to be running a a fast pace to get out WEST and cover the same ground. I've never been and can't wait to leave. Eight more days of work. There will be no dirt roads for me either as I'm riding a completely stock 2008 HD Night Rod Special. :clap:clap
  4. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Yeah, no dirt roads for me, either. I'm planning on hitting a couple gravel roads, though — Moki Dugway, and Valley of the Gods. Everything else is asphalt.

Eight days... I am in serious countdown mode, also.

Have a great trip!!! Hopefully I will see you out there. I'll be on a blue Yamaha FJR with silver stripes.

Post a ride report when you're done. Feel free to post a link here in this thread. :freaky
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    looks fun
  6. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We did Europe in 17 days and still didn't get to see/do all the stuff there is to see.
  7. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I know. The rush is the sad part of the trip.

But this trip I look at as a recon mission: find places I want to return to, then plan trips to those destinations and spend a lot more time there.

Yellowstone is an example. I was there last September for less than two days. Saw the roads and that was about it. But now I know I want to go back, so I'm planning a trip where I can spend 4-5 days there.

My only real concern is weather now, and rain is endurable, but who wants to spend the day in Zion National Park while it's raining?
  8. forxlr8n

forxlr8n Adventurer

Oddometer:
    7 working days to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I'm ready to get the show on the rode.
  9. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I'm not leaving for a week... I'm already half-packed for the trip. Is that bad? :evil
  10. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    seems to me you are behind the power curve. Better get in gear :lol3
  11. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Tonight I might start color-coordinating my clothes/socks/underwear for each day of the vacation, and wash the bike with a toothbrush and Q-tips. Then maybe I'll be caught up. :evil
  12. forxlr8n

forxlr8n Adventurer

Oddometer:
    5 days of work left ......
  13. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Same here. I work next week and leave Friday after work, hoping to make Tulsa in good time. Then a long day to Colorado on Saturday so I can start seeing some interesting stuff on Sunday.
  14. XRangerRides

XRangerRides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm passing through the same area this summer (july) and I've been able to get quite a bit of good info from this thread - thanks.

Does anyone know what the road in to Goosenecks State Park is like (I'll be on a Kawi Vulcan 500 so not looking for an off road adventure)?
  15. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere (and I forget exactly where) that the road to the Goosenecks scenic viewpoint is paved.
  16. halobum

halobum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made a similar trip last summer. My favorite roads of the whole week turned out to be 141 and 149.
  17. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I am seriously looking forward to 141, but I won't be able to squeeze in a ride down 149. That will have to wait for next time.
  18. halobum

halobum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dropped the Utah portion of my planned route when i got to Grand Junction and it was 100 degrees. I decided I could ride in those temps at home and headed back to the mountains. Ended up spending two nights in Ouray and getting to ride one day without being loaded down w/bags
  19. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    On your way south on hwy 89 in AZ, in Cameron, there is a navajo trading post on your right immediately after you cross the little Colorado river gorge. Good food and every kind of native crap you can imagine for sale there!
    Have fun and welcome to AZ in advance.

BTW, the highway passes in CO stay open all year round (except through rocky mountain NP).There still may be several feet of snow on the side of road though.
  20. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    If you're talking about the Cameron Trading Post and Hotel, I am planning to stay there overnight, so long as they have a vacancy. My parents stayed there a few years ago when they visited the Grand Canyon, and they were seriously impressed by how nice the rooms were, how good the restaurant was, and how professional the entire staff treated them. That's a high recommendation in my book!

Thanks for the info on the high passes... it's never too late in the season for a freak snowstorm to close the Million Dollar Highway, or so I've heard.