1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great V85tt Windscreen survey

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by DesertPilot, Mar 25, 2021.

?

What size winsdscreen do you have

1. 24" of bigger

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. 22"

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. 20"

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. 18" or smaller

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. OEM Travel screen

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  6. OEM shorie screen

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  7. None

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Moto Guzzi V85TT is an excellent machine -- a noble pinnacle of design, engineering, and shaft drive -- but the OEM windscreen cannot be numbered among humanity's great acheivements. This has led to any amount of experimentation with alternatives. In the interest of advancing science... and also pooling our knowledge... I'm starting a survey.

-What windshield do you have?
    -What size did you get?
    -How high is the top of the windscreen above the grpund?
    -What is your height and inseam?
    -How well is your windscreen working?

To get things started, my answer is
    -Home-built hybrid of the the OEM screen abd Madtstad's 18" Explorer Slim system for the Tiger 800
    -Roughly equivalent to 22"?
    -Top of screen is 60" above the ground
    -6'1" and 34"
    -Pretty good, stops all buffetting, but some low frequency noise remains at higher speeds
    Grinnin likes this.
  2. stokerel

stokerel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got the OEM Travel screen, standard on my Travel edition.
    5'11'', 32'' inseam
    It works ok'ish, air hits the top of my helmet (Shoei NXR) just above the visor, but creates quite a lot of turbulence. It's not bad buffetting moving my head around just lots of noise. It also prevents my helmet from venting so it's unbearable in summer time, but good for cold weather (as long as I use a pinlock visor). Interestingly enough side wind from certain angles completely eliminates all turbulence so makes sense that's caused by the huge void left behind by the tall screen - this is where I expect the Madstand to shine.
    The tall screen also annoys me when riding slowly on bad roads as I need to look through it when sitting and it distorts too much, somehow I manage to hit all potholes I aim to avoid.

I've purchased a shorty Biondi screen though, which is probably as short they get - so quite extreme difference compared to the OEM Travel. Planning to ride this weekend so I'm really curious how it'll behave - I'm looking for clean air first of all and ventilation for summer riding. Don't mind the wind blast as I only ride highways very rarely.
    Teddy TT and DesertPilot like this.
  3. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    EDIT:

I USE no windshield although I HAVE the stock shorty and a Cal-Sci 21" plus two different add-ons for the top. Plus I made a shorty in the style of a racing number plate.

I'm 5'9" with 31.5" or 32" inseam.

The CalSci worked moderately OK with an add-on so I was looking just barely over the top of the windscreen, but I'm not going to do that. It blocked too much wind so my back was sore. At the end of a long day, it was tiring to stretch to see over the windscreen. The stock shorty and the number plate worked in some conditions but not most.

None works very well. I've ridden 1,000-mile days on other bikes without a windshield so am pretty used to no windshield.
  4. j8ttg

j8ttg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    18" Ermax with a knock off top deflector. Also tried the deflector on the stock low screen.
    5' 9" with a 32" inseam
    Both set ups were decent in eliminating buffeting but not in diminishing wind noise even with foam ear plugs and a Schubert . Waiting on a few more reports on the Madstad to go that route.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  5. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oops. I knew I'd forgotten something. I am indeed interested, but I don't know if it's possible to edit these vote thingies. I guess 'none' will have to get lumped under 18" or smaller.

No... wait... it is possible to add new item to the poll! Life is good! :clap
    Grinnin and Night_Wolf like this.
  6. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the CalSci XL + a touring MRA adjustable wing on top. 6'1" H 32" inseam.

Attached Files:

7. jrt

jrt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to add to the confusion...but a couple things.
    I change my windscreen depending on weather. It is either ~6" (short enough to consider it 'none') or a CalSci large.
    What is your reference point? Overall length of the shield or height above the upper fastening screws? Not trying to be difficult!
  8. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reference point is either 'top of headlights to top of the screen' or 'guess as well as you can'. GIven the profusion of shapes, sizes, brands, curvatures, manufacturers, and planets of origin ("In space, no one can hear your screen?"), I can't think of any obvious way to standardize measurement of the screen itself.

An alternative is 'height of top of windscreen above the ground'. I just edited to origional post to add this. I'm running 60".
  10. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Had the OEM Travel screen & had horrible buffeting & noise. Modified & raised the OEM Travel screen 3"s & I would say it eliminated 90% of my buffeting/noise issues

Currently running the 18" Ermax Screen with deflector & I look OVER the screen; still playing with the adjustment on the deflector & would say it's equal to the Travel Screen after I raiser it 3"s

5'7" with a 32" inseam
  11. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. jrt

jrt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The CalSci large works very well for me. I have not ridden in any rain to speak of, so I cannot say what will happen when/if rain comes through that hole on the front! Behind the fairing is a good pocket of air, up to ~85 mph. I haven't gone any faster on it, but I've cruised at 80 for 30 minutes or so. The bike was quite planted. Gas mileage is lower with a barn door up front. There is a little back flow into the vacuum it creates, but it isn't too bad. The air flow over the top is just, just at the top of my helmet. If I have my visor up (Shoei Neotech full face), it is fine at low speed, but it catches some turbulence above about 50 or 60. I really cannot complain about that- I just put the visor down.
    So- bottom line- it is not 'perfect', but it certainly is 'good enough'. My biggest criticism is the backflow behind the fairing, but even that is me looking for something to criticize, and every large fairing will have some back flow.

CalSci large- 14" above upper mounting holes or 22.5" overall bottom to top. The CalSci website recommended a medium for me. That would have been too short. Mounted, it is about 1/2 way leaned back- about in line with the forks.
    I am extremely average- 5'10" or 5'11", 32" inseam for Levi jeans. My riding position puts my eyes above the screen, so I am not looking through it except when I am looking down or going very slowly.

I am intrigued by the MadStad....I wonder if I could use a similar mount for the CalSci and have it raise/lower.
    CalSci- $185
    MadStad- $260
  13. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'2" with with a 33" inseam. I'm using the stock windshield with a "vent" that I cut into it and the small universal Laminar Lip. I'd say I achieved about an 85% improvement over stock with this set up (much less buffeting but about the same amount or maybe slightly more wind noise). I typically run the shield in the low (all the way back) position. I can however, run it in the full forward postion with a noticeable but tolerable increase in buffeting. Prior to these changes running it in the full forwad position was intolerable for me. For perspective I personally really don't like large windshields so for me this was a very decent solution.

IMG_9411.jpg
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  14. TTDan

TTDan n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    -What windshield do you have? Madstadt
    -What size did you get? 22
    -How high is the top of the windscreen above the grpund? Not Sure
    -What is your height and inseam? 6'0" , 28"
    -How well is your windscreen working? Really well no buffeting clean air pocket
    DesertPilot likes this.
  15. stokerel

Oddometer:
    Sorry, quoting myself.

Managed to test the Biondi shorty last Saturday over a 350km ride. Was pretty windy outside so this may have had an influence but the wind noise/turbulence was horrific compared to the Travel OEM screen. Tried adjusting it forwards and backwards with little difference, the noise was so bad riding without ear plugs was impossible. Up on the foot pegs getting my head in clean air was instantly silent, so even no screen causes turbulent air for me - not sure if it's the mirrors causing all the noise or the overall shape of the dash, etc. Will keep testing, but at the moment I think I like the Travel screen better although I loved how my helmet and jacket finally vent, plus the clear unobstructed view ahead.
  16. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's dissapointing to hear. I thought those screens looked pretty sharp. I'm beginning to wonder if we're getting low frequency noise from some part of the bike itself that gets covered or has its airflow changed by the OEM screen. But I can't think of way to test this other than taking various bits of the bike off and riding around to evaluate the effect -- i.e. "I found the cause! When I remove the wheels, all the noise goes away!" "Well, yes but..."
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  17. stokerel

Oddometer:
    Feels like windshields are very personal as we're all built differently plus have different tolerances to noise, mostly depending on what we've been used to. Posture surely has an effect as well as other stuff that sits in the airflow i.e. mirrors. I'd be curious to 'hear' if things change with something like a bar-end or handguard mounted mirror, something lower than the standard bunny ears.
    Night_Wolf and DesertPilot like this.
  18. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    so far my best option, was raising the stock Travel shield 3"s, but that necessitated shaving down the OEM Travel screen so the mirrors didn't contact at full lock. Solved 90% - 95% of my "issues. Currently trying the Ermax screen with a spoiler & haven't had any "extended" runs with it yet & it's "close" to where I was with my modified Travel screen, but it's not better. Thinking of having my friend with the 3D printer make me some spacers, to move the Ermax out, so more wind, can flow under & deflect the air coming over the top
    Cal and DesertPilot like this.
  19. j8ttg

j8ttg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did just that with the Ermax plus cut out the center section above the lights for an attempt to eliminate more of the vacuum. Better but still loud. Ordered the Madstad last week so we shall see if that is the solution.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can use 1/2 " pex water line cut to any length you want as spacers and then spray them black. I have some in the garage if you want to try and a tubing cutter.
    Pbro63, Night_Wolf and DesertPilot like this.