1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great V85tt Windscreen survey

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by DesertPilot, Mar 25, 2021.

?

What size winsdscreen do you have

1. 24" of bigger

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. 22"

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. 20"

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. 18" or smaller

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. OEM Travel screen

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  6. OEM shorie screen

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  7. None

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. mondtster

mondtster n00b

Oddometer:
    I've tried several windscreens on mine now - OEM short, OEM touring, Ermax, Givi. The OEM short windshield wasn't bad for local riding but I wanted something a little more substantial for touring. The OEM touring screen caused absolutely miserable buffeting which was unbearable after 5-10 minutes of riding at 45+ mph. The Givi was ok but still caused some buffeting and I was always looking right through the top of the screen. So far, the best screen for me has been the Ermax. The air is smooth but it is unbearably loud. Even with a very quiet helmet the wind noise is so bad that I'd have guaranteed hearing loss if I didn't wear ear plugs.

Although I'd kind of miss the appearance of the bike with the Ermax screen, I'm really hoping the Madstad screen gets some good reviews because it looks decent. I'd try almost anything to get the wind noise down to a manageable level.

I'm 5'9" with a 31' inseam.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  2. Bommes

Bommes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the OEM short (black) screen with a small extra extender.
    I'm 1,89m long and don't suffer from any buffeting.
    There is wind noise but nothing a good set of earplugs can't filter out.

IMG_20200708_131355485.jpg
    murdock2002 likes this.
  3. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy.

Oddometer:
    I haven't measured my screen to "vote" yet but it's a stock shorty with about 75mm (3") cut off of it. Tilted all the way back. I'm 5' 10" with a 30 " inseam.

The stock screen leaned all the way back had horrendous wind noise after about 55-60mph (but better than with it "straight up"). My ears have been ringing for about ten years now, the wind noise with the stock screen was a showstopper - it HAD to be improved or the bike was going away. EDIT: I ride with earplugs, always. Every comment I make about noise is while riding with a full face Shoei GT Air helmet and earplugs.

Chopping the screen improved the noise enough that from memory it is almost as quiet as my (naked) Ducati Monster 1200S or my Hypermotard (also naked) were. Both of these are "ex" bikes so can't do back to back rides to be sure, but I was surprised at how well those naked bikes managed wind. But, I may be suffering from the effect that since it was horrible on the V85 to begin with, I'm sensitive to whatever is there now where on the other bikes I was never bothered so didn't focus on whatever they had. Make sense? I had an instructor who told the story of an airplane he had built. He was pretty proud of it. One night while flying with another pilot he asked what the guy thought about it. Other guy's response was along the lines of "it's great, but have you considered doing something about the refelction of the gauges in the windscreen?" The builder had never noticed that before and said it's all he could see when he flew it from then on. I think maybe the V85's wind noise has that same type of thing going on for me. But I really was surprised at how well the Ducatis handled wind considering no screens.

Anyway... I had plans of mimicing the stock profile on top. But as I was cutting I realized A) the shape of the screen may have been contributing to the noise? If the edges were creating turbulence that was creating the noise, having the shortest edge possible would seem to be directionally correct? And B) cutting a simple curve instead of putting the "notch" in would be a lot easier/faster.

So I went with a simple curve.

Here's the freshly cut screen in front of a stock "shorty"
    [​IMG]

And the "final" result
    [​IMG]

If I had it to do over again I'd probably make it even shorter. I MAY try cutting the stock profile into the top to test my theory but probably not. It seems to work as is so on to other things. Then again, I am retiring next month so if I find myself looking for things to do I may try various things with this screen and apply what I learned to the original screen when the lessons are complete. (I bought a spare screen to cut up and still have the original on the shelf).

And now that I'm sitting on the couch daydreaming I'm thinking yarn tufts, a go pro camera, and various windscreen mods. Stock shorty vs ShortShorty vs SS with hole vs SS with stock profile with hole open vs taped over. Etc. Yeah, don't hold your breath.

Then again, I WILL have a lot of time on my hands, and a few go pros I never use... I wonder if there's an easy way to make any small smoke generators to get actual streamlines to to look at...
  4. redlinebob

redlinebob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The new GIVI AIRFLOW installed. Very nice as compared to the stock touring screen. Very little wind buffet up to about 80 mph. Haven't pushed it beyond that, but feel I'd get the same results. I've had MadStad set-ups on my bikes prior, this one is just as adjustable due to the stock "back and forth" bracketry. It has nearly a 7" vertical capability.

IMG_4490.jpg IMG_4490.jpg
    chethro, Cal, stokerel and 1 other person like this.
  5. chethro

chethro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Biondi Short -- I'm 6' tall with a 32" inseam and was riding with the MG tall seat. Shield was canted as vertical as possible.

Much quieter than the stock short shield which I actually like too. I could feel much more wind on my shoulders and upper chest. Really quite a bit more wind overall. This flowed more air than my V7 with a Dart screen. My goal was to have something that would flow more air to help on the hot days and this is going to work nicely. I rode in temperatures from 65 to 85F today.

I will try the shield fully leaned back next and will add to this post if it is significantly different.

The pic below is with the shield fully leaned back.

IMG_3852.JPG

Update:

With the shield canted back, I noticed no decrease in wind noise. It did seem like the air was hitting a couple inches lower on my chest, so this is where I'm going to run it. I did notice less wind noise if I lifted myself 4-5" off the seat, but I don't think you can get this even running with no shield. In this position, the top of the shield is only an inch taller than the instrument cluster. YMMV
    stokerel likes this.
  6. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My windscreen story so far. I'm 5'11" and wear 28" inseam pants. I am tall in the saddle - sitting down I am the same height as my younger brother, who is 6'4".
    On the Tunisia tour, when riding the V85TT I had the windscreen laid back as far as possible. This kept the wind off my chest and provided smooth to my face. This worked well for the speeds we were traveling. So I setup my new V85TTthat way and it was good until about 60mph, and then the wind was tiring. I have used CalSci windscreens in the past and was happy with them, so it was time to experiment. I had in my junk pile a CalSci that was on a bike I crashed. It was badly scratched, but not broken. So I drilled some new mounting holes and trimmed some interferences and it was time to test. Windscreen forward, halfway and back. Favorable results, but not tall enough. So I put the MRA X-creen I have on it and tried different heights. Bingo! The air is going over my helmet and I am looking over the windscreen. The top edge of the screen projects out about 30 feet in front of the bike. Measuring from the upper mounting bolt to the top of the screen (which I think is the only way to compare screen heights) told me I needed a XXL screen. So I called CalSci to see if it was in stock and/or delivery time because I wanted the screen for the trip I'm going on next week. He had them in stock and I had one three days later! I am pleased with how it works; Sometimes I like it all the way back and sometimes halfway up.

Something curious: I prefer to ride with my faceshield open, so that is how I did most of my testing. I wear a Arai Signet-X - the fit on my long oval head is the best I have found. So, riding with the faceshield open, my new windscreen is wonderful. But if I close the faceshield, completely or leaving it about a quarter of an inch open, I get wind turbulence that is on the verge of being annoying. I don't understand this.

The bike is at the dealer for first service; I'll post photos soon.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  7. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'7" with a 32" inseam (so say my Levis) & I too like to ride with my visor up
  8. Pbro63

Pbro63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too bad one can't vote more than once. I have a tall touring windshield and a short dual sporting windshield that I can change in minutes.

This is the shorter dual sports screen
    20210607_225812.jpg

It's a rather crude mounting method but it's rather satisfying to look at. Need to trim the bottom I think to get rid of that annoying BMW logo! Doh!
  9. Pbro63

Pbro63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The more touring Puig for BMW windscreen.
    Screenshot_20210609-130009_Photos.jpg