The GS keeps getting Heavier...would you switch to a lighter bike like the KTM 790?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by rforrester, Nov 8, 2018.

?

Would you trade your GS for the new KTM 790 Adventure R? (and pocket a few thousand)

Poll closed Nov 18, 2018.
  1. Yes, I want a lighter bike and the 790 ticks all the boxes...

100 vote(s)
    65.8%
  2. No, I want to keep my GS and possibly buy a new one.

52 vote(s)
    34.2%
  1. Mexicali

Mexicali Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my 08 GS, but I am seriously considering the KTM 790 because it will definitely be more off road worthy while still having enough power to make some highway runs.
  2. Bowser

Bowser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not me I am out, having sat on one and had a good look round it recently, its a massive disappointment. The plastics all felt very cheap and tacky, what you would expect on a 1970's soviet block car, its very very cramped I am only a 32 inside leg and its way to cramped for me to ride on the road, its eye watering expensive for its market, and you have to pay for stuff I really dont want, like tft screen, abs, traction control etc etc etc.
  3. josgs

josgs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To be fair you were not looking for a "modern" bike full-stop, definitely not a KTM that is on the forefront of implementing new technology in their bikes.... I see your point (less things to go wrong) but new riders are attracted to such things ..

P.S The GS is too heavy....
  4. Bowser

Bowser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your probably right, I do want a modern bike a new engine, something less careworn etc etc. I accept that I will have to have abs as its now mandatory here now. But your right in the fact that I dont want new just for the sake of new or technology just for the sake of it, TFT screens are a case in point, there are countless reports of de-laminating and other faults, in 40+ years of riding I cant recall any reports of a new bike failing with analogue instruments, I get a cable can snap but its an easy repair and does not put you off the road but that the only common failure, BMW are still having issues with their active suspension and its eye watering expensive to replace, I might want cornering and traction controls on a 160bhp sports bike but not on a 790 twin, would just like the option to have a bike with out all that shite.
  5. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^
    KLR then.
  6. GREENGUERRILLA

GREENGUERRILLA ZAP

Oddometer:
    Riding those big heavy motorcycles off-road is a joke to me. I've been riding and racing motorcycles my whole life my last championship was at 62 years old Sprint Enduro so I think I have a little knowledge. I ride two up, I am looking for a new midsize motorcycle with shaft drive. There's only one that fits the bill right now the Moto guzzi V85 TT. Honda wake up, you used to make a good mid-size shaft drive motorcycle CX500 and 650.
    feisty likes this.
  7. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big heavy bikes off-road are a joke, but a 505 lb Guzzi makes sense? It's a great looking bike, but the only thing midsize about it is the engine.
    Nowwhat likes this.
  8. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride with a guy that can't let go of the racing mentality, we used to race together, he stayed with it longer than I did. When we ride the bigger bikes he claims it's no longer about the contest of speed but he will often come blowing by if I'm just kind of plonking along. And later says things similar to 'big bikes off road are a joke'.

Big bikes off road doesn't mean fast single track, but poorly maintained fire road type of riding, and even well maintained non paved roads. The more I ride my heavy 1200 GSA on rougher roads the more I enjoy doing that instead of bombing down some single track. It's a completely different thing and fun in it's own way. It's only a joke if you are trying to blast down some gnarly single track. Sometimes I get on the interstate with my Husaberg for a few miles, riding that thing in a crosswind behind an 18 wheeler at 70 mph can be done but is a rather scary joke.

Which brings me to the question asked by the OP of this thread, no way the KTM 790 I see on the internet can compete with either my heavy 1200GSA or with my lightweight Husaberg, or even my little bit heaver 701 Husky.
    (And yes I know that there are several lighter than my Husaberg street legal "dirt" bikes available)

joelee and ADV67 like this.
  9. josgs

josgs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The thing is dear Bowser, that with integrated chips nowadays, you can be supplied with all the options with only one module, and the manufacturer would be mad not to include them . Whether BMW or KTM for example, it is the same Bosch module that does both straight line abs, leaning abs and leaning traction control. They would be mad to supply one function and not the others. I think that what more mature and experienced riders like yourself do not fully acknowledge is that the number of motorcyclists is thinning, resulting in having on one end, newbies with too powerful machines to start with and on the other hand experienced riders with similar performance machines and degraded reactions. I fully agree about tft's etc but I presume we will simply not having such a conversation ten years from now. Reasonably, what a motorcyclist should expect is to be able to turn off most electronics apart from ABS that has reached a very mature state in recent motorcycles, and its non-acceptance is a matter of stubbornness rather than facts :jack.
    At least throttle by wire cannot possibly snap.... Thank you for the interesting conversation!
    snakepilot and Ken in Regina like this.
  10. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @josgs, Yes it is an interesting conversation, getting to see what everyone's different situations and transitions might be, and why.

It's also interesting to see how differently we use the terminology, one from another. I grew up in an era when a "big" bike was anything 650cc and larger. Except for the 1200cc Harley, the biggest bikes were Triumph Bonneville/BSA Lightning (650cc) and "...the eye-popping" Royal Enfield Interceptor (700cc). To me, a mid-size bike is in the 350-550cc range.

I've done years of off-roading with 175-200cc two-strokes and 250cc four-strokes, so that defines "light" bikes for me. Anything above 300lbs is a "heavy" bike.

I'm not trying to push those definitions on anyone else. Just sharing the interesting differences in perspective I see.

...ken...
    Bairn123, snakepilot and Venturer like this.
  11. Bowser

Bowser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh I agree, but for the time being it is me and my ilk that have no house loan, no kids at home and a largish disposable income to spend on toys, regardless of how many newbies around with a lack of experience, they are not the ones who are buying new motorcycles, that is the domain of the 40/50 something, I have the inkling for a new bike, the cash to buy one, and right now I am not buying as nobody is selling what I and to be fair a lot of my ilk want to buy. Younger riders are not buying new bikes, they look and then buy a second hand one, the average age of a motorcyclist as it stands is over 40, in the US its about 49. The average age of NEW bike buyer is older than that. It a ridiculous figure something like %80 of big bikes bought new by that 750 up, are bought by over 40's. In ten years it may be different, but not here and now.
  12. GREENGUERRILLA

GREENGUERRILLA ZAP

Oddometer:
    150 lb heavier is 150 lbs heavier....
    Venturer likes this.
  13. Mexicali

Oddometer:
    I regularly ride my 08 r1200gs off road at Baja, but mostly on fire roads. (These are actually called highways by the locals )
    I have been on a 120 k mud run at Baja. However, I always run knobby tires, Elka shocks, and have lightened my gs by installing a lithium battery, a Remus exhaust , and only running a Happy trails top box mounted in the pillion position and a tank bag.

Still, this is a heavy bike for off road riding.

Considering the Africa twin , but it is not significantly lighter than the gs.

That's why the 790 KTM makes so much sense. It is around 100 pounds lighter than my gs, and I could shave another 25 pounds off the KTM by adding a titanium or carbon fiber exhaust and a lithium battery.
  14. caliform

caliform Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha, the Africa Twin. Comparable weight carried higher with less performance and shoddier components. I think you're much better off just buying an older bike. :D
  15. Gone-Native

Gone-Native XPLORER

Oddometer:
    My 07 1200 adv got totalled. found an08 9fiddy SE, i'm more dirt oriented, beat the hell out of my GSA ;) but am loving the KTM. I hear great things on the 790 performance. Sticking with my SE, need another GSA some day. Can only have one bike for now, so this is the Unicorn :p3rry

:hide
    KDXRC51 likes this.
  16. ebnelson

ebnelson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll probably switch over to the 790 standard after the bikes have been out for a bit. I love my 1290 Super Adventure but the 790's 100HP is plenty for me. I hardly ever really get on the 1290 for more than a handful of seconds because that would be risking jail time!

I had the F800GS and also the R1200GS. I was pretty disappointed in the F800 and sold it after only a year. The '05 R1200GS was a great bike, but the '16 1290 SA is much better. I'm happy to see good looking middle weight bikes coming out. I'm hoping they can do high mileage with only routine maintenance. I'm presently commuting 12k miles per year by bike and driving my truck to work in SoCal traffic ain't going to happen.
  17. Mexicali

Oddometer:
    Motorcyclists Magazine rated the Africa Twin over the KTM 1090.
  18. Pedec

Pedec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to buy a ktm 790 or Yamaha t7 but I live in Canada and T7 will not be available for 2 years and ktm 790 will be in short supply and cost around $15000.00. My bike history is I own 17 Husky te250 dirt bike now that can take me anywhere. The nastier the better and I race mx/off road on it. Great bike. I bought a 2006 dr400s new in 06 and owned it 12 years and just sold it this last summer. Drz was great bike but to small for any highway miles and just ok off road. Looked at 701/690 and a lot better than drz but still light and no wind protection for long highway miles and seat would would not be comfortable for long distance I also need to double wife and kids some. So I figured I am out of luck till I found one of these a 2013 ktm 990 baja with 5000km. Weights 450 pounds where 790 is 400 pounds. Makes 115hp where 790 make 100hp I think. Best part is 990 is suppose to feel and handle more like a big dirt bike and proven reliable and a bit rough around the edges which I like. Plus $6000.00 cheaper. I will let the kinks get worked out. First couple years of the 790 being a new design could have unseen problems and lot of electronics. Decide later if I want upgrade to a 790 probably only loose couple thousand on 990. IMG_2655.JPG
    pranajerni likes this.
  19. ebnelson

ebnelson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That 990 looks great! You need to bring it down here over the winter. I played hooky this afternoon and rode over to Anza Borrego which is amazing desert terrain.
  20. Pedec

Pedec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is the plan to do some more adventure riding and travel. Funny you brought up Hockey I am just leaving to play a game now. Furthest south I have been riding is Moab Utah. 990 I bet would work great there. We rode five miles of hell a couple times and there is no way anybody could ride a 990 there. Pincher Canyon would be tough also. I bet maybe do able on 990 but not with me on it no way. Couple friends winter in Arizona a play Hockey. I might go play a couple game with them this winter if it works out.