The GS keeps getting Heavier...would you switch to a lighter bike like the KTM 790?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by rforrester, Nov 8, 2018.

?

Would you trade your GS for the new KTM 790 Adventure R? (and pocket a few thousand)

Poll closed Nov 18, 2018.
  1. Yes, I want a lighter bike and the 790 ticks all the boxes...

100 vote(s)
    65.8%
  2. No, I want to keep my GS and possibly buy a new one.

52 vote(s)
    34.2%
  1. josgs

josgs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This euro idiot legislations have forced manufacturers to increase the volume capacity of their motorcycles too much. Bigger and heavier bikes (and taller) that then need bigger engines, bigger brakes etc etc... It is a sad state of affairs in that respect. With the new generation of electronics a "bigger" bike with all the gizmos is perhaps easier and safer to ride (except for roadcraft) than smaller machines with no electronics. Hopefully we will see a trend towards lighter motorcycles in the future
  2. josgs

josgs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Bowser, post: 36478782, member: 77476" The average age of NEW bike buyer is older than that. It a ridiculous figure something like %80 of big bikes bought new by that 750 up, are bought by over 40's. In ten years it may be different, but not here and now.[/QUOTE]
    A new bike from a decent manufacturer costs more money than an equivalent car which has many more parts to be machined and manufactured, more raw materials and the same amount, if not more, of electronics. You just can't afford a new bike. The US seems cheap to us, compared to Europe which is lurching under the Eurocrat tyranny. I do not know where this trend is going. We definitely need lighter bikes at an acceptable price, but company avarice has no end.
  3. oldfool

oldfool Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a BMW HP2 Enduro and a KTM 950 SE. Weight and size are a big issue for me. I don't want any extra crap on my bike. Just what is needed to for off road riding. Although I do like big bore. The new bikes are not for me. The focus is going the wrong way. In my opinion.