The Guzzi ReAwakening: Release the ELDO

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by lesman, Jun 3, 2017.

1. lesman

lesman Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer:
    The Guzzi ReAwakening: Release the ELDO

Sounds kinda catchy. I originally was working on an Ambassador. I thought a great name would be The Guzzi Reawakening: The Return of the Ambastardor because it wouldn’t be a faithful Guzzi rebuild.

So here I am finally throwing my hat into the Rebuild thread. I’ve decide to Give Back to Advrider , Because I’m a Giver. I’ve also noticed not one Jewbilly has posted an epic build. I guess this makes me a Pioneer for Jewbillies everywhere. Since this is my first attempt at posting an Epic ReBuild. Let’s just say that I’m very optimistic about the outcome.

I’ve been on Advrider almost 10 years. I’ve lurked. I posted. I’ve offended. I’ve offered some very well thought out nuggets of wisdom. Almost none were taken . I think the World is ready for my stylistic interpretation‘s of how an Eldo should be built. My qualifications for this epic build are my lack of mechanical skills and talent. Complaining and criticizing, I have found that I don't actually build things.

I am also 159% likeable.

I bought a rolling Ambo last July . I bought a rolling Eldo in Sept/Oct. In both instances I was quoted $500 for each Looper . When I arrived the price was reduced to $350 and $300. I guess if I arrived a little late I could have gotten them for free. One bike was last licensed in 1995 and the other 1985 (I have antique plates?). Both bikes were mostly complete if not having a seat , no side covers, some exhaust, much of the electrical system missing , blah, blah, blah, is considered “It was running when I parked it”.The Ambo had the rear frame section cut. I’m a little biased against the Ambo , don’t know why. I love the Ambo’s rear drive unit . Guzzi got it right.

Before I get rolling along with my Epic Build. There’s a few people I need to Thank.

WLW, who has been a great guy with his kind thoughts and motivational inspiration to get going with my own build. He makes the build seem easy. I apologize for some of my snarky remarks. We are both Moto Guzzi Cognoscenti.

Eric, I still stand by my remarks about Guzziology. It’s the book of “No” It’s like my dad wrote that book. My dad told me this :”If you need an answer today, the answer is No. But in actuality the answer tomorrow is also NO. He also told me “Don’t put your hands where you wouldn’t put your face”.

There have been a few people that I hassled on Wild Guzzi that I want to acknowledge. Greg Bender, He been very forthcoming with the wisdom in a few emails. I spend countless hours on his website trying to gather answers and solutions. He wrote the Loop Frame Bible. He makes some amazing products.

Charlie from Antietam Cycles. He is a world class rebuilder of Guzzi’s . He knows the in’s and out’s of all things Guzzi. He answered a lot of questions.

I also want to recognize my buddy Terry, MBT®. This bike would not get built without his help. Besides being a good friend. He knows everything and how it works and can explain it to me .

He is a Tig welding god. WLW, Please don’t be upset . He is an aluminum fabbing genius. If my buddy Terry, MBT® had a Roman name it would be Fabricatus Aluminumus Maximus . In addition to his TIG skills, I don’t think he has never met a bolt or nut that he couldn’t remove. He knows the electron.I don’t want to brag but the electron is my buddy Terry’s bitch.Unlike most of my friends. He gets the Moto Guzzi Experience. Periodically I will post some of MBT® projects that he has built for me. Especially when I not accomplishing anything. These will be listed as Stuff My Buddy Terry Made or SMBTM®

So now that I got that out of the way. Let’s talk about my Vision Thing. I would like to build an Eldo with some modern twists. I absolutely don’t care about having a restored Eldo. When I finish the Eldo, I plan to ride it like I stole it.

· The bike must be dependable. It needs to start when it’s supposed to and stop(not a suggestion).

· I’m not changing things for sake of changing things.

· I want modern Electronics. I will be running a Nippon Denso Forklift Alternator, Motogadget Electronics/Switches , backup would be a Greg Bender wiring harness/newish switches, LED lights throughout the bike.

· I have a 2L and a 4L Frontend. I really don’t like either. I have bought parts to convert the 2L frontend to do a disk brake setup.

· The bikes have been taken down to nothing. Some parts have been power coated and zinced.

· Still trying figure out the engine thing. Three options 850 motor converted to internal oil filter and a 950 kit, 1000 motor with an internal oil filter or a 1100 motor converted to carbs. Can’t run a ND alternator on a 1100 motor. Each setup has it’s own challenges.

· Standard Guzzi Borrani type wheels. Rims will be converted to tubeless Tires.

· The Paint Thing. I think Italian bikes should be red(My Quota is Black). Most of the Red Loopers(It’s only an opinion) don’t seem to look as good as the Black Loopers. So I like Black, Black and Silver, Red and Silver, Pink and Blue(Homage to John Britten) or a Blue Metallic.

· Can’t figure out Long Seat or Solo Seat

· Exhaust, same problem. I like reverse megs, megs, slant and fish tails

· Speedo/Tach combo, I just got’s to have a Tach. I really like the Aluminum Nacelle setup.

· Prefer floorboards over standard pegs(subject to change)

· What is up with the smell? 40+ year old grease/oil /schmuch is just nasty.

Since I‘ve got an eleven month jump on the beginning of the thread. I have accomplished a few things.

I figure that this project should take 1-2 years because I’m what you call….Lazy. I think I can force myself once a week to post or just lie. More than that I would be just showing off. People might think I have a work ethic. My hope is to have a rolling chassis by Sept 1st. Could be way sooner or not.In this pilot episode of my thread I play to post a few pics of how the bikes looked, etc. In my first posting , I will show some of my accomplishments that have occurred over the last 11 months.In my second posting.”SPOILER ALERT” I will have an OCC/Kardashian moment where I change some parts that may or may not scar me and Advrider for life….it’s true

I will not be working on the bike in a linear fashion. Some processes are easier. Some processes can't happen other things are completed. Remember the lazy aren't like regular people.

FAQ:

Is this a successor build to WLW?

I wish. That’s pretty bold thinking that I could replace WLW, who is the premier builder of the most epic build of Honda CX technology that exists on the Internet as we know it ….not me, Brother.

Are you a Guzzi serial Killer?

Both Loopers were not running when I bought them. At least one of them has a chance at immortality.

At best those Loopers were the rolling dead. I want to point out that the real true Guzzi serial killer was Robert Oppenheimer. When ignited the first atomic Guzzi. He said: “ I am become Death. I am the Slayer of Guzzi’s. I am the Guzzi Slayer” Google it if you don’t believe me.

What Is a Jewbilly?

A Hillbilly Jew of Appalachian or Ukrainian descent. You must be a Jew not Jew-ish.

Do you have a Jewbilly nickname?

Meshugga Ray

If I “Like” your build. Is there some other way that I can express my “Likeeness”?

Just give me a “ ¡Jewbillisimo!" When you post your warm and fawning comments.

What is a MJF?

Magical Jewish Friend. It’s not the same thing as a Jewbilly but a Jewbilly can be a Magical Jewish Friend. Do I need to explain Sets and Subsets?

Why aren’t you putting your Epic Build on Wild Goose Chase?

Do they really need another Eldo build on their site? I think that as soon as I posted this thread in it’s current form, I would be banned.

What is the chance that you will finish this build?

Much better than me marrying a cheerleader or becoming a Hand Model.

How did you pick a Guzzi Eldo for your Epic Build?

I wanted a Tonti frame Guzzi. These Two extremely sad examples of Italian Engineering just screamed at me: Pick Me , Pick Me . So I decided to start a Guzzi Rescue Service. Originally I was going to buy some land outside of Houston to rescue Baby Seals because I’m really not a Snow Person. This idea didn’t work out. Like the expression says if the seal is broken there is no warranty. So I bought the Ambo and the Eldo.

Do you have an Official Dog for your thread?

Baby Mia the Wonder Schnauzer

Do you have Official Music for your Thread?

Still working on it. I know you will be amused

Is it too late to not post your build thread?

It’s too late for Sharon Tate but not me.

My Bold Prediction: When I Release the Eldo. My Eldo will be able to beat any Hayabusa that is running on one cylinder in a drag race.

So let's set this Dumpster on fire.

I wanted a Moto Guzzi Calvin but I screwed up 2 deals
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So I ended up with these bikes. The Ambo is the one with the Mary Kay Motif. Who knew Mary Kay gave away Moto Guzzi's
    [​IMG]
    The Ambo Mary Kay Edition
    [​IMG]
    Eldo with the pink tank instead of the GT850 tank
    [​IMG]

Like all good projects. You need a wood table . This is my nod to WLW.
    [​IMG]

OSHA called and declares this garage a disaster zone.
    [​IMG]

Flow Chart for my thought processes.

[​IMG]

I apologize in advance if I hurt your feelings. Please fill out this Butt Hurt Report.

[​IMG]
    Dracula, todd900ss, Slipkid and 10 others like this.
  2. lesman

Oddometer:
    I had so many problems posting photo's. More photo's will be added semi soon.
  3. waylongway

waylongway madmax

Oddometer:
    What's taking so long.....?:dirtdog

It's been over 2 hours and no update.......:dirtdog.......:zilla

All looks and sounds like fun to me......:dukegirl But then again me not to smart.......:jjen

Looking forward to all the blood and rust.....!!!.:beer

You have given me WAY too much credit as I Am no one to be looked up to and I sure as hell cannot weld........:becca

But I do love motorcycles and Love Love a Guzzi .....:raabia So count me in as a Jewbilly or Sweed whichever is worse.....:scratch

And as a friend.....!:webers

Now get to work...!! ......:whip
    smolt and FR700 like this.
  4. cleatusj

cleatusj Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer:
    Les, get with it, we need more bastardization. Besides dead Guzzi's need to live.
    todd900ss and waylongway like this.
  5. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a crock
  6. lesman

Oddometer:
    That's right it's a crock...a crock of Guzzi. Did you know when you cross a Guzzi with bacon ? You get Guzzi crocklin's
    pennswoodsed and waylongway like this.
  7. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rest day today, again...
  8. lesman

Oddometer:
    Since I've had a 11 month lead in time since I acquired the Ambassador. I've taken both bikes apart. The Frame has been powercoated. parts zinced, etc . I've started on the direction of the rebuild. Posting a few more disassembly shots and a few what have I been doing other than harassing WLW.
    A few Items I want to point out.
    The last time the Eldo ran it must been a vibrating ride. The U Joint and yoke seemed to be one 1st gear to 2nd gear shift away from disintegrating.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed a few tires from 5 rims. 3 of them took about a 1 hour each. One took 45 seconds off my Quota. One I just cut it off after 45 minutes.

[​IMG]

Parts Zinced
    [​IMG]

Started cleaning the tank
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Obligatory Oil Shot. The Ambo oil had the pretty metallic sheen . When I pull the cylinders. They had worn spots on the walls. The Eldo also had chrome flakes in the oil.
    [​IMG]

When I tried to remove one of the swingarm bearings. I couldn't get my blind puller bearing in the drive shaft cavity. I had a few problems removing the circlip also. I think I spent 30 minutes trying to get it out. My Buddy Terry got it out in less than 15 seconds. Park's tool got the bearing out in seconds.

[​IMG]
    I was having problems removing the exhaust nut . My spanner wasn't working .I bought the exhaust tool. I shot PB Blaster on it 3 times over 2 days. It unscrewed like it was finger tight. On my BMW I put anti seize on the threads once a year (I was told to do this )Never any problems removing the exhaust nuts.

[​IMG]

I used a chevy brake adjuster to remove the springs(idea From Greg Bender's Site)
    [​IMG]

Some Things my Buddy Terry made for the Eldo
    An Exhaust Clamp from stainless

[​IMG]

He turned on the Bedazzler 9000 to make a gauge holder for my speedo tach.
    I saw a cheapo Speedo Tach for my ELDO. It looked pretty good . I wanted a Speed Hut Setup. It may still happen but not right away.

The Bedazzler 9000
    [​IMG]
    Original Speedo
    [​IMG]

Bezel Ring
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheapo Speedo /Tach Analog Tach Digital Speedo. I think I paid $26.00 shipped
    That my friends is how you put lipstick on a pig
    [​IMG]

Future Alternator for the Eldo . 670 watts of pure primal electrical pleasure.
    [​IMG]
    Alternator setup that I'm trying to accomplish. There is a ready bolt on setup with an alternator bracket. It's a great setup . I just thought I would like to make my own setup. I saw this setup and thought why not?
    [​IMG]

As I promised. Next installment will be that OCC moment where Lesman changes direction on the Eldo Release. I promise you that I won't be putting exhaust tape on and painting everything Flat Black....declaring Victory.
    todd900ss, nuggets, MZRider and 3 others like this.
  9. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

You're gonna run A/C on the Eldo'. How cool is THAT !!! :bow :bow :bow

larryboy, waylongway and lesman like this.
  10. lesman

Oddometer:
    Maybe for the future sidecar?
  11. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Sidecar? That's just crazy talk, dude. I mean, like, seriously, dude, none of the Cool Kids™ ride a sidecar.

The zinc parts came out nice. Did you zinc them yourself or did you farm that part out?

...oh, I'm enjoying the thread. Thanks for sharing your literary prowess and wit.

lesman and waylongway like this.
  12. waylongway

waylongway madmax

Oddometer:
    .......:y0!

........:choppa

[​IMG]

:y0!...........:lurk
  13. lesman

Oddometer:
    I had the zinc done commercially.It's incredible how well it was done. I bought a DC power source to give zincing a try.
    The Eldo is a mini bike compared to my Quota. Sidecars and Spyders maybe in the future for me...never say never.
    FR700 likes this.
  14. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    Care to share who did the zinc-plating? The last batch from the plater I'd been using wasn't too good, so I'm looking for someone else.
  15. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The opening line of Venus in Furs runs through my head...
  16. lesman

Oddometer:
    I have a buddy that restores small Honda's. He had them done for me . I'll ask. I'm in Houston. He's in the Woodlands area.
    Their Quality is great but they ain't cheap hence for the buying of the DC power Source.
  17. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does that mean you will be keeping the ultra cool pink paint.
  18. lesman

Oddometer:
    Living LaVida Pinka only if I go with the John Britten Tribute Paint.
    I've run across a guy that does Heat Coat for exhaust pipes. Shiny Blue Exhaust Pipes.... wasn't that a Velvet Underground Tune?
    todd900ss likes this.
  19. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    Wanna sell that front fender?
  20. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    WooHoo. Off to the second page of the thread we go...

[​IMG]