1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The "Happy days are here again" Rides NW Wisconsin-hopefully summer 2020.

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by MarshkevUK, Mar 22, 2020.

1. MarshkevUK

MarshkevUK Alright Guv'na? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, so having punted the idea of a weekend ride POST Covid-19 (initial outbreak/lock down) on the WI. Rides thread for either a D/S or large bike ADV ride it seems that there's probably enough interest to run both and as such i'm starting this dedicated thread. My hope is that this will hopefully enable any interested parties to mentally escape for a few minutes during their lock downs as you dream about Blue skies. twisty gravel and happy trails... (we'll leave the reality out of it for now shall we...:imaposer).

Here's the original post:

Anti-Corona virus alert!

Hi All,

Some of you out there know me and that i try to do something for our fraternity every year. Whether that's an large ADV bike weekend somewhere or a dualsport weekend of dirt and laughter or even as was the case in 2018, a "Scatter Rally" which had the unfortunate luck to run on one of the wettest August weekends in recent memory...:imaposer

Well, i had hoped to follow up on that last year, 2019, with an even better event but unfortunately 2019 turned out to be a really crappy year which included but was not limited to the loss of 3 parents and a major heart surgery for yours truly...:(. So, to say my 2019 ADV expoits were minimal would be an overstatement!

Anyway, life moves on and my passion for giving back is not diminished! So, in-spite of or maybe to spite the fact that we're all apparently going to die shortly from a shortage of loo rolls i thought i'd put myself out there once more to be used, abused and generally ridiculed and offer to organise/lead a weekend away somewhere in June or July in WI, MN or the UP.
    It can be a dualsport or large ADV ride, it can be for 2 or 3 days we can camp or motel. The only thing it must have is plenty of gravel as a minimum!:muutt

So, tell Corvid-19 to kiss your antiseptically clean butt and, if you're remotely interested, let me know, D/S or ADV... I usually keep rides down 6-8 riders otherwise it ends up being a lesson in herding cats :-). Also, in the remote chance that there's more than a little interest in riding d/s then i do have another plan lurking in the back of my brain which could accomodate more people!

Anyway, answers on an electronic postcard please (no polls here?) D/S or not D/S that is the question...:pope

Cheers and stay safe, MK.

...And please keep that if you wash it for more than 20 seconds it's not called washing anymore...:csm :augie
    Kevin,

So, there you have it. At the time of writting (3/22/20) It looks like we have 7 inmates who have registered some level of interest in a large bike ride and 3 for a D/S ride.

The ADV ride, on a date yet to be agreed, will be a 2.5-3 day affair with with the ultimate goal being a lake-side camping spot up on the Keweenaw Point in the UP, there'll be gravel, some "light" off/rough gravel, twisty blacktop and oodles of scenery. Camping both nights, maybe both rough camping but one for sure (Fri & Sat).

The D/S ride will be either a 2.5 day or FULL 2 day affair because i have a cunning plan formulating in my head which basically means this is a straight A to B ride... This will mean we'll get to ride single track, sand, gravel along with a good dose of mud and some fun water crossings thrown in for good measure... This is probably not a beginners ride but willl be a blast. So far i have 3 vict... inmates :lol3 registering interest here. Again at a mutually convenient time for all hopefully which is still to be arranged. I'm thinking 2 nights away (Fri & Sat), hotel or motel, no need to carry gear... hey, i said i had a cunning plan-right!!

That's it for now, if you're interested in either let me know if it ends up with a lot of interest then hey, we'll do it all again!

Cheers for now and stay well!

MK.
    barnyard and FJRick like this.
  2. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Staying in motels when there is a pandemic and people all over the world are being asked by medical experts to avoid gathering in even small groups, in order to reduce the spread of the virus ?

[​IMG]
  3. clappedoutrider

clappedoutrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Count me in for the dual sport ride! Just got my Ktm 530 all ready to go and I’m anxious to get out. To the above poster don’t worry we will stay 6ft away from people LOL. Also forgot to mention I have a buddy who would want to join too! So make that two for the D/S ride!
    MarshkevUK likes this.
  4. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If someone you loved died from the virus, as happened to me last week, you would be in less of a joking mood.
    FormerOilhead and Prmurat like this.
  5. clappedoutrider

clappedoutrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Look I’m sorry for your loss. I get it’s serious and understand the gravity of the situation, however different people cope with the stresses differently. Motorcycling is a good way to practice social distancing and get your mind on our entire world falling apart.
    Ginger Beard, ATKinRC and fpalbrecht like this.
  6. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is being held after the virus goes away. Relax. Either respond with interest in the ride or go away. This isn't the poo flinging cesspool of CSM

7. Mikeeep

Mikeeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What do you mean by a electronic postcard?
  8. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The topic of this thread involves a potential "post COVID" gathering. Nothing is planned for the near term and the date for the event (if it can even happen this season) will be scheduled once circumstances and restrictions allow. Simply doing some initial planning for an event some time in the future doesn't mean that people are not socially responsible or that they won't act with the best practices that are recommended or required at the time of the event.

Obviously there will never be a completely "post COVID" world, but we don't need anyone to nit-pick about that in this thread either.

So, let's move on and let these inmates do some initial planning for a ride that everyone realizes may or may not take place based on what needs to be done with regard to the epidemic going forward. :D

Cannon

It would be helpful to change the thread title to something that doesn't draw fire from people that might get the wrong impression about someone's regard for social responsibility. It would be the right thing to do during these unusual times. :D
  9. MarshkevUK

Oddometer:
    OK Mr. Shot, i'll make a change.

MK.
    ATKinRC and jjjjjjay like this.
  10. jjjjjjay

jjjjjjay Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn. That's a killer thread title.
  11. MarshkevUK

Oddometer:
    A little too killer maybe, apologies if i caused offence to anyone, that was not my intention, my sense of humor isn't from around here! Let's keep smiling people. :-)

MK.
  12. MarshkevUK

Oddometer:
    Sorry, that's a UK idiom that probably has no social reference over here, answer on a postcard: https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/answer+on+a+postcard
    1. A brief, concise answer, reply, or opinion, especially one meant as a quick response to a general question. I'd like to get people's opinions on where to go for a summer vacation. Answers on a postcard, please!
    2. An answer that is considered obvious or self-evident.We'd like to get into more complex reasons for inequality, so please avoid just giving answers on a postcard.

For my next lesson in Britishness i will endevour to explain the correct use of (and in no particular order): wanker, dog's bollocks, frog & toad, cheerio, haggis and black pudding...

toodle pip for now.

MK. :-)
  13. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    dtysdalx2, OU812, Mow-ree and 2 others like this.
  14. MarshkevUK

Oddometer:
    :imaposerPrecisely!
    OU812 and FJRick like this.
  15. berksglh

berksglh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I may be interested in the ADV ride.
    I've had my V-strom in some bad stuff. If I can avoid mud and deep spashing sand, I'm good.

Hoping to take the bike to work this Wednesday.
    ATKinRC, MarshkevUK and FJRick like this.
  16. MarshkevUK

Oddometer:
    Not too much mud, nothing silly for sure and not too much sand, nothing deep from memory for sure. I'll put you down as a possible! Stay healthy.
    OU812 likes this.
  17. jsinclair

jsinclair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in, provided it isn't memorial weekend
    OU812 and MarshkevUK like this.
  18. Mow-ree

Mow-ree Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interested in the DS ride. I'll even bring your old bike. :D
    MarshkevUK and OU812 like this.
  19. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I would try to make something work.
    MarshkevUK likes this.
  20. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just up in Copper Harbour.
    Can imagine some really nice trails if they follow the sled versions. ;) IMG_2006.jpg
    MarshkevUK, FJRick and Mow-ree like this.