The "Happy days are here again" Rides NW Wisconsin-summer 2020.

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by MarshkevUK, Mar 22, 2020.

1. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of that selection that Kevin recommended, the Boulder NHAL route is excellent. If you want to practice some single track, the tamaracks are in that same area and I understand phase 1 is a nice introduction.

MarshkevUK, WoodDB and OU812 like this.
  2. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I am off work for a bit and forgot to check the schedule for the weeks that I work overnights. Best to just pick whatever works for most and if it works for me, I'll be all for it.
    MarshkevUK and OU812 like this.
  3. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tamarack are great for ST.
    ;)
    MarshkevUK and FJRick like this.
  4. WoodDB

WoodDB n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip! How early does this route typically open?

On a side, this route passes within 100yds of my driveway off Hwy D (by the Cranberry bogs). If anyone needs a staging point (or a cold post-ride beer), hit me up.
    FJRick likes this.
  5. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still in the critical infrastructure working group, when I hear set dates I'll be able to commit. V-Strom 1000 or TE-450.
    OU812 and MarshkevUK like this.
  6. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Forest routes in northern WI typically open on May 1st. Sometimes if it is wet they put out a notice about a delay so that things don't get needlessly torn up. There are two large catalogs of rides in your area based out of Boulder Junction and Eagle River on cannonshot.net . I see the security certificate expired on that site so I'll get that tidied up again. No risk to click through to the site.
    ToddFather, OU812 and MarshkevUK like this.
  7. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    ADV-F is the only one I have open as of now. Thanks for the work Kevin!
    OU812 and MarshkevUK like this.
  8. OU812

Oddometer:
    I've heard All WI trails closed til June 1st.
    Hope it's false.:(
    MarshkevUK likes this.
  9. dhollenberg

dhollenberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will riders need to get a “OHM” permit to do this ride? Wisconsin is unfamiliar territory for me. I was just scrolling through another thread where Cannnonshot made mention of it.
    MarshkevUK likes this.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    OHM permits are required to ride on designated public trails. Forest roads that are open to motor vehicles that are not designated as public trails do not require a sticker. So, if Kev's route incorporates a segment of trail, you will need the sticker. He'll know that when he does the route. If you are from IL, for now you can buy a WI resident OHM sticker and get the same great deal that natives get. I'd wait and see what happens with the route and the ride. :D
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I've heard it is a bad idea to post rumors since they confuse people. :lol3

https://dnr.wi.gov/covid-19/

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/cnnf/alerts-notices Keep in mind that there are seasonal dates on many roads in the National Forest as reflected in the MVUM. As mentioned earlier, some closed roads and trails generally open up on May 1st.

Some may be confused by some notices. For example, Oconto County put out a notice that their trails were open EXCEPT for motorized trails. Of course. The Snowmobile trails are closed and the ATV trails don't open until May.
  12. MarshkevUK

MarshkevUK Alright Guv'na? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello All, O.K. quick update.

After the initial rush we've had the usual lull in responses and potential riders sit back and ruminate about their real interest in a weeked away with a guy they've never met before and that's fine. Below is a creen capture from a spreadsheet i'm keeping re amount of interest in each type of ride and the dates for said ride and the amount of interest in the ride... see all notes, if a preference was stated you A choice gets 2 points and your B choice 1 point. Interest shown is the amount of riders who would be OK with a certain weekend whereas points hopefully shows a preference of 1st vs. 2nd choice etc.
    rider snapshot.png

Other notes from recent posts would be, yes-you'll need an OHM permit for the D/S whereas you will not need one for the ADV ride AT THIS POINT, although why not get one? Better to be safe than sorry and that way if we see a track... If it's all planned and there's no scope for the "here and now" it's not really an adventure, is it? :hmmmmm:evil.

As the D/S numbers are still low i'll give all a quick pointer for my cunning D/S ride and why it would be better to meet Friday in case it fires up some interest... Plan is to meet at my gaff (house), load all bikes etc. on my van/trailer (8-9 bikes no issues) and we drive to a motel (or whatever) in the middle-ish of the route. Saturday, we'll ride sand, mud, single track, gravel and blacktop and eventually end up back at the "motel". Sunday we ride Sand, gravel, mud, single track and blacktop ending up about 1 mile from my house. At some point on the Sunday while we've been having a blast my van, trailer & your overnight gear will have been brought back to my house...:D.

OK, that's all for now.

Cheers, MK.:photog
    OU812 likes this.
  13. Mow-ree

Mow-ree Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    DS C would be my preference, the other dates are tougher.
    MarshkevUK likes this.
  14. wiscolaw90

wiscolaw90 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would potentially be interested in doing either trip and I can pretty much make any weekend work.
    MarshkevUK likes this.
  15. TheBigH

TheBigH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put me down for A and D. I’ll likely only make it to one or the other. But got to get something to look forward to on the books. I would appreciate a ds where someone shleps my stuff around for me! I don’t have the XXR really setup for luggage so bonus!
    Doctor Zed and MarshkevUK like this.
  16. OU812

Oddometer:
    If needed I can haul as many bikes as a 7x16 can fit.
    ;)
    MarshkevUK, pigjockey and FJRick like this.
  17. dhollenberg

dhollenberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay. I put in for vacation days on July 9-10, and August 13-14. I’ll cancel what I can’t use. I figure if we ride Friday and Saturday, that would leave me a travel day each way to get to/from home in Western Illinois.
  18. cyrider

cyrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would be in for any of the ADV ride weekends. Would prefer the July or August weekends, but I think I can do any of the 3. I would leave central Iowa probably Friday morning and meet at the designated spot around lunch or a little after. Would this be mainly camping or motel?
    MarshkevUK likes this.
  19. Derrick-hh

Derrick-hh Spaceman

Oddometer:
    I know I'm late to jump in here, but I'd love to have a spot in the ADV ride if there's enough room. As long as we aren't out in the peak of black fly season, I'm game for any of the weekends.
    MarshkevUK likes this.
  20. MarshkevUK

MarshkevUK Alright Guv'na? Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I have you down but please note that the last time i did the Copper Harbor run was a full 2.5 day and as i stated on a previous post i'll be leaving Rice Lake, WI. around noon, picking up riders as we go between there and Eagle River. I can happily start earlier on the Friday :-) BUT, it'll be 4-6 p.m. by the time we get back to Rice Lake on the Sunday., just means a slightly more relaxed ride... As a general note to anyone reading this it looks like i'll be running two weekends and maybe the 2nd one will be shorter... slightly...:lol3

Happy to have you onboard Cyrider. This trip will be camping only... 2nd night will be rough camping, not sure about the first night, it may be on a site but...

No worries, plenty of interest but talk is cheap and commitment trumps talk! Not much in the way of black fly from what i've seen, maybe mosquitos but it is the north woods so! :D

So, next update will be tomorrow... I think we're close to full for the first ADV weekend where riders have either commited or said they'll come whatever weekend it is... so... sloppy seconds will be on the menu:imaposer

Cheers :1drinkMK.
    OU812 likes this.