The Happy Goose Birdsville or Bust tour - Day 1

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Happy Snapper, May 10, 2011.

1. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    Yes.. like Gregor says.... had I have known we weren't going to camp I too would have left behind the tent/kermit chair/sleeping bag/ground sheet etc. And of course all the cooking gear which was in the panniers.

Although.. the tent etc were tied onto the seat behind me and made a good back rest to lean back on when I was using the highway pegs on the KLR. Without all of this gear I am sure that I could have fitted all my stuff into my Steel Pony panniers.

I would still take the Jetboil though for a cuppa on the long cafe-less runs.

Today I spent the day cleaning the bike.. took a while. Moving it around the yard (under power) and then finally into the shed was so easy with no load on it.

Felt like I was riding a 250 chook chaser!

The credit card thing caught me right out. I have 3 cards... 1 for each business and my private card.

Our accountant gets upset when I mix them up so I only took my private card and hey presto... the bank cancelled it.

All good now... but what a mess. Next time I'd take a Cash Card as well.

Safety is always an important issue for us so Gregor carried an EPIRB/GPS thingo and I had my sat phone.

Didn't need either.. but great to have.

Would have loved to have had a firearm.... hate snakes you see. I figure a shottie evens things out when confronted by mulga snake!
  2. goroka

goroka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report - good to see what worked and what didnt as far as gear etc is concerned. Group of us off to Cape York in a few months - have been quietly suggesting a fitness capaign before hand may make things easier in the riding department as some of the lads are not exactly bundles of energy.

Cheers
  3. oneblackdog

oneblackdog slowest of the slow

Oddometer:
    :clap:freaky
    Top effort fellas, thanks for the pics, bugger about the roads.

OBD
  4. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report :clap:clap
    Thank you for sharing.
  5. Hodgo

Hodgo TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer:
    Gents,

I enjoyed the read. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing the fun.

Top RR
  6. hoyks

hoyks Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the read. I had plans for 2 trips this year, but work has nobbled them all:cry.

As for the camping mat, I too popped mine early on a trip. Cat/goat head thorns don't do them much good and after finding 16 holes I stopped counting and gave up any hope of patching it. Now I have a cheap yoga mat that I stick my self inflating mat on top of. More padding for old bones and, so far, no holes.
  7. shieldsy

shieldsy you can put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig

Oddometer:
    Great RR guys - really enjoyed it and the photos - well done :clap
  8. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    Great RR guys, looks like fun

Terry
  9. loxsmith

loxsmith Good ol days my arse

Oddometer:
    Ex. Little village called Brisbane, Australia
    Great ride report guys, well done.
    I'm heading out that way again soon for the Birdsville Races but this time on my DR650 (last time on a 1000 Strom). Did you do the run from Birdsville to Innamincka via the Cordillo Downs Track? Just keen to hear how much fuel you needed for the DR

From memory the Strom needed abround 30 litres all up?

It would be interesting carrying that much fuel on the DR with a stock tank

Glen
  10. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    Glen... Goosefeather is swanning around New York at the moment.. without his DR650. We had planned on going out to Innamincka and then up throuhg Cordillo Downs. However the rain put paid to that. We did have time constraints as GF had a business trip to canada/USA so we went out through Windorah to Birdsville and back the same way.

He has a long range tank (19 litres ?) on his DR and My KLR carries around 22 litres odd. I added a Rotoapax with 7+ Litres and Gregor took a fuel bladder with around the same capacity. In round figures we had appox 30 litres each.

We figured it would be touch and go for range from Windorah to Birdsville.. but as it turned out we both could have done the distance comfortably with our standard tanks. Also the Innamincka to Birdsville leg would have also been a touch and go which was another reason for the extra capacity. As it turned out we will have to do that another day... when it's dry!

We only filled the extra bladder/Tanks for the run out from Windorah and as soon as we had knocked off around 110 k we stopped and topped up the main tanks from the auxiliary supplies to get weight off the rear and back on the front of the bikes. My KLR was around 400 kg all up with my fat bum on it so wanted to balance it as best we could. The DR used slightly more fuel despite being a lot lighter. (Both bike/rider with gear) Gregor put this down to the fact that he ran 606 Dunlops and I chose E09 from Mitas. Really love those tyres.

You'll have a ball out there. Take it easy though.. lots of grey gomads towing campers at high speed.
  11. loxsmith

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick reply, some quick calcs following
    Windorah to Birdsville is approx. 385km
    Birdsville to Cordillo to Innamincka is approx. 420km (bit of soft sand that will chew more fuel)

If you used about 19 or 20 litres for the Windorah to Birdsville leg then I should be right with 25 litres for the Birdsville to Innamincka leg
    My DR will be running 606 Dunlops

Don't worry around race time there is plenty of City drivers hell bent on driving at highway speeds regardless of the surface. They do some damage to their vehicles and eat tyres on the gibbers and bulldust holes.

Last time I was shocked to be passed by a full size bus that hurtled past doing over 120kph until he ploughed into a drainage culvert just after he made the pass. The guy pissing out the auto entry door got a rude shock and I laughed by head off for ages. It was work being sprayed in stones to see that happen.

Thanks again
    Glen
  12. Goosefeather

Goosefeather Captain Slow

Oddometer:
    Mark pretty well summed it up correctly - as far as both consumption and my present location go. . . saw the original comment in Montreal airport, and am now replying from New York.

My DR has the IMS tank - nominally, and originally, about 18 litres but relaxed to about 19-20, plus an external bladder with about 8 litres.

Pop me a PM in about 10 days and I can e-mail actual consumption data.
  13. loxsmith

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update, enjoy your time away Gregor
  14. Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson SlowRobo

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, I just read yr Birdsville report. good stuff and can relate to it very well. especially the pics of your bike on the ground. I have just returned frm the same ride except I returned via Innaminka and Camerons Crn. 4950km in 13 days. I also have a KLR ( purchased frm Team Moto Bowen Hills. good team) & mine was blown off the side stand twice by strong Southerly winds. The road to Birdsville is much improved. I rode it 11 yrs ago on an Mountain Bike loaded with 221/4 ltrs of water. It took me 3 days to cover the 390km frm Windorah on my pushie. It is now much wider in places, more road signs and even a couple of rest areas. The Windorah cabins you stayed at are owned by Chumpy Ward, the area Postman ( now retired) He kindly delivered additional water to Betoota for me. Otherwise I would have arrived at Birdsville with about a ltre left which is cutting it a bit fine. ( drinking 7 ltre a day)

You should plan another trip out that way. It gets easier mentally with more exposure ( or is that sun stroke) Yep, good read. Mark, don't worry about the sore back at 58yrs..I'm 62 and feel that old every day.

PS Might write up my ride in the next few weeks.

Take care & might see you on the road one day. ....Ian Robinson.
  15. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    Mate.. where are you based?
  16. Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson SlowRobo

Oddometer:
    I down the coast road at Shailer Park. Thinking about yr original plan via Cordillo Downs. This road had been on my mind constantly since my failed push bike ride to the Dig Tree. I left Birdsville at 7am & arrived Innamincka at 9pm... 14 hrs. so a long, hard day. Mixed road conditions. hard pack, rocks , red sand starting at Innamincka Reserve and finally bull dust filled holes about last 20 km. I rode through a massive electrical storm for a hour in the dark. lightning like nothing in the city. I was going to stop and sit /lay down as I was the highest thing around. but figured if I got . "wacked" I wouldn't know about it. rode into "town" surrounded by three fires the lightning had started. A new experience for me and one I won't forget. ( bit scary)

Next afternoon it rained like crazy for 30 minutes. Pub got flooded and EVERYTHING stopped. I was lucky to make it to Wills grave then next morning. Not much space around KLR swing arm for mud..took me 45 mins to dig it out with tent peg.

Pic 1/ MUD MUD and more MUD
    Pic 2/ Start of red sand at Innaminka Reserve. Cordillo road? track.

Ian R

Attached Files:

17. Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson SlowRobo

Oddometer:
    Pic 2/ ....sand up to about 100/150 mm for about 20 or 30 km. after this pic taken. ( having now experienced the road. I would NEVER have made it on the Mountain Bike with out a support veh..)

Ian R

Attached Files:

18. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    How did you carry extra fuel mate?

It sounds like a true adventure!
  19. infoatnmmoto

infoatnmmoto with the band

Oddometer:
    I'm in the states and wonder why they call it Birdsville?
    I am a pretty active birder here in the states and am
    going down to a preserve next week with lots of migratory birds.
    I'll bet you are still checking for frogs.
    Great write up.....glad I got to see the train in a pic.
    Thanks for r posting.
  20. Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson SlowRobo

Oddometer:
    I made a alloy rack that extended over the pillion seat. then bolted a "box" to hold two x 5 ltre jerry cans. I made it out of alloy to reduce the risk of sparks if I put it down on the bitumen. ( thought the old KLR has plenty of steel on it) It sat as low possible to keep CG down. I only filled them when I had over 400km to do without servos. But the old girl return 22/23 km per ltre so did not really need them ( longest stretch 426km Cordillo rd) ..But I would not head out there with out spare fuel... same as you.
    I could not finish holding alloy strap as I impaled my right hand with the footrest 18days before ( trip nearly over before I started) I left so just used rope & straps. It worked well.

Re BIRDSVILLE BIRDS: Birdsville is on the Diamantina river. about 1600km west of Brisbane. When it rains ( not too often) a lot of birds head inland including pelicans. So in typical Aussie fashion the early explorers called it Birdsville. .. thats my story & I'm sticking to it. ( by the way ...I read they didn't bury anybody in Birdsville in a wood coffin till 1926 Not sure why? maybe the Waddi trees are too hard. can't drive a nail into them I believe. )

IR..

Attached Files: