The Harley Davidson Livewire electric bike thread

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Kawazacky, Jun 18, 2014.

1. ctromley

ctromley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Traxx, liberpolly and RedRocket like this.
  2. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:
    If only.
    Traxx likes this.
  3. KiLeR650

KiLeR650 tjoseph is unethical.

Oddometer:
    :lol3 You win some, you lose some.
  4. panhead_dan

panhead_dan This aint jo daddy's Grundle.

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere along the way that there was a sound created by the factory for this bike because it was just too quiet. Seems like it was a trans whine kind of a sound if I recall correctly. My point is that if that turns out to be true, then the possibility exists to download or record or program a sound into this thing then maybe some techno geek type can help out all of motorcycledom by downloading a jetson's car sound into it.
    I mean, for 30k it really should sound right, right?
  5. cybrdyke

cybrdyke In the Dark

Oddometer:
    way back up in the woods among the evergreens
    Some Livewires are shipping to dealers today and tomorrow. Some dealers should have them by this weekend.
    Traxx likes this.
  6. KiLeR650

Oddometer:
    I read something about that too, I think the sound is made from a mechanical widget of some sort. I'd be surprised if there's a way, supported or not, to arbitrarily change the sound. But if they're so quiet, maybe the aftermarket will come up with a speaker system that can do different sounds. It seems inevitable if the electric bike market gets big enough.

But Jetsons sounds? I'm with you, but let's be honest, it would be like wearing a sign that says "I'm old". The kids are are going to want some kind of sponge bob bubble sound. And honestly, wouldn't just straight up fart noises be the most fun?
  7. SGrider

SGrider This space for rent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Top Fuel funny car sound would be the best, especially if you can make it as loud.:lol3
    KiLeR650 likes this.
  8. KiLeR650

Oddometer:
    Worlds loudest silent bike.
  9. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    It's the way the gears are cut, I was told by their demo helper. I definitely liked the futuristic sound, but at most times it was covered by the sounds of traffic around, and sound of tires.
    Traxx likes this.
  10. cybrdyke

cybrdyke In the Dark

Oddometer:
    way back up in the woods among the evergreens
    There's no electronically produced sounds or artificial sound program. There's not any external speakers. The sound that can be heard was intentionally made by cutting the gears.
    Traxx likes this.
  11. panhead_dan

panhead_dan This aint jo daddy's Grundle.

Oddometer:
    I am dissapoint
  12. ctromley

Oddometer:
    You say that in jest, but around where I live, for over 30 years now, I have heard one - only one - Sportster with stock pipes. (I liked it a lot. Burbly and roarty without being a dick about it.)

Anyone who has heard a Buell or a Sportster with Euro-style mufflers knows a Harley can sound quite nice. Hell, back in my racing days I overheard one of the Yoshimura head techs saying there was nothing that sounds better than an XR750 on a mile track.

So why is it that the vast majority of Harleys around here have mufflers with that distinctive, unmistakable sphincter-flapping characteristic that makes it sound like King Kong after a bad burrito? Some of these clowns will claim they want more power, but Harleys respond better to intake mods. Which are much cheaper than exhausts. So why the fart pipes?

I guarantee you that if custom sounds were made available for the Livewire, a set of 100+ dB fart pipes would be a popular choice. You'd think that as old as the typical Harley rider is, they'd all be past the age of thinking farts are fun. A surprising number apparently aren't. Those guys can't age out of motorcycling fast enough for me.
  13. Crilly

Crilly Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am 70. Every good comedy has a fart joke. Blazing Saddles comes to mind first.
    TonyKZ1, Traxx and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  14. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    This might sound crazy, but maybe they're targeting a different demographic with the livewire.
    Another crazy observation, Harley's aren't the only bikes running around with noisy exhaust. And oddly the vast majority of people that complain about loud bikes are other motorcyclists, or just the plain old complainer type. I don't hear average non-motorcyclists talk about it.
    Personally I think boogering up stock exhaust pipes is in the human DNA or something, not everyone, but pretty common. Or just taking any perfectly working mechanical device and start messing around with it. I know I was taking stuff apart since I can remember, putting stuff back together though..
  15. ctromley

Oddometer:
    That's why, even though the Livewire does nothing for me, I'm beyond grateful to Harley for building it. I hope they sell a squillion of them (though that's unlikely given the $30k list price and their fumble with the charging scheme).
    No, but the modified, louder-than-stock drone of an inline 4 or chuffing of a Euro V-twin is a lot less in your face than the typical purposely-obnoxious blatting of a Harley. And the Harley riders are far more likely to make a big, noisy show of it than any others riders, by about 10:1. This from someone who lives on a well-traveled road that attracts motorcycles. I'm basically in a fairly dense forest, but I can hear the loud-pipe assholes rattling windows from 1/4 - 1/2 mile away, sometimes farther. How many people per mile do you think they're bothering? Do the math. Non-Harley assholes are rare. That's my experience where I live, YMMV.

It's one of the main reasons I'm so supportive of HD's efforts to court a new demographic of riders. Loud-pipe assholes are a stain on all of us. FWIW, I'm not much of a complainer. Those assholes merit complaint.
  16. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:

You'd love my straight pipe shovelhead :lol3
  17. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    My brother and his wife know zero about motorcycles. They live on a rural road where vehicles have to stop right in front of their house. It is on a popular road for motorcyclists. When the weather is nice they get to hear dozens of obnoxiously loud bikes idling and throttle blipping less than 50 feet from their porch. If the bike sounds anything like a V twin, they both consider them straight pipe Harleys. And they DESPISE them.
    kiwial and ctromley like this.
  18. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems like an odd spot to live if you're bothered by traffic noise.
  19. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    The only obnoxious traffic noise they experience is from open pipe v-twins and the occasional fart-can Honda. All the other vehicles that drive/ride by have normal exhaust noise that is inoffensive. They are quite rural, so they don't get lots of traffic. Sadly, it is mainly motorcyclists that intrude on their serenity. Kind of a sad commentary. Even sadder that you feel the need to defend those who intrude into the life of others in offensive ways when those others are on their own property.
    Mykola and ctromley like this.
  20. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:

How dramatic. I'm not defending anything, It's just not something that bothers me, or most people. But I dont have a stop sign in front of my house for every knucklehead to blast off from. And to be honest there's a lot of motorcycle/car shenanigans that don't bother me. Serenity now.
    I'm not sure how the loud pipe whine got started in this thread but isn't there already a loud pipes thread here for this?