The Harley Davidson Livewire electric bike thread

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Kawazacky, Jun 18, 2014.

1. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    It's already here: https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-srf/
    WDG, voltsxamps and neanderthal like this.
  2. alienbogey

alienbogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ I'm looking forward to riding that one, too.

And the Strike, if it actually becomes a reality.
    voltsxamps and liberpolly like this.
  3. liberpolly

Oddometer:
  4. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Took that for a spin. Thing is scary fast when you twist that accelerator. All Zero needs to do with it is give it Level 3 (DCFC) charging and I would add it to my garage.
    WDG, liberpolly and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  5. chainslap

chainslap BlessedarethesicK Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Kind of feel it's a multitude of issues for them. The whole industry having issues getting new folks into it. HD spending a very long time doing 1 thing and focusing on 1 demographic. These 2 things most likely being the biggest issues.
  7. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    The problem lies mostly with this “super-premium” product’s price. The bike costs nearly as much as a Tesla Model 3, and aims for a market that does not really exist: young, “green” and affluent first-time motorcyclists.​
    WDG, Dino de Laurentiis and ragtoplvr like this.
  8. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Ah yes. Forgot that part as well.
  9. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every Harley dealer must be required to have a level 3 charger. Harley should subsidize them. Also the electricity should be paid for by Harley for a while to help build demand.

The bike is great fun to ride. Made me smile more than usual.

Getting people into the dealership for charges, they can put in a coffee bar and snack bar. Put the special livewire themed clothing selection and ape hanger bars, feet forward kits, etc. right next to it.

Hog can have mobile charger available at events that actually include riding. I know, they can power the charger with a v twin diesel. They make them.
    Finally to cut riding riding costs further, will a car tire fit on one?:hide

Rod
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  10. SGrider

SGrider This space for rent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Live to charge, charge to live?
  11. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    I swear to Hermes the God, if I see a Livewire with apes and forwards, I am electrocuting the fucker.
    alienbogey likes this.
  12. maddjack

maddjack UFO Pilot Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ruters reported that the dealers don't want them. Guess there may be a problem a la Buell in the future.
    bajaburro likes this.
  13. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah targeting young riders is a dumb idea with a $30k bike. I bet it will (and currently is) mostly be older people with disposable income who admire the smooth ride and easy acceleration.
  14. ctromley

ctromley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At this point, every single thing HD does is focused on one thing - bringing new buyers to HD dealerships. Repeat buyers are certainly welcome, but they don't solve HD's fundamental, existential problem - the numbers of repeat buyers (those who already identify with the HD brand) are dwindling fast.

So far, the Livewire seems to be a swing and a miss, after literally years of development and very extensive market research. The next examples up to bat are the Pan America and Streetfighter. Those will likely attract some repeat buyers, but their success for HD depends on new-to-HD buyers.

Next season is going to be the most critical in HD's entire history. If sales figures don't show increases in first-time HD buyers, especially for those three models, I suspect there will be a lot of shareholders who decide it's time to cut their losses. There are a few different ways in which that could cascade for HD, none in a good way.

I've already said why I think they got to this point, but now all that matters is sales results for next season. Let's just hope that HD does a better hat trick than Bullwinkle.
  15. Traxx

Traxx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the Livewire has been delivered to your area yet. I asked at the HD dealership and they are still waiting to receive the first one.
    Funny how it is already been decreed a flop before it even hits the floors.
  16. cybrdyke

cybrdyke In the Dark

Oddometer:
    way back up in the woods among the evergreens
    Some have been delivered in California. Some in New York. I dont know how they go about rolling them out or what motivates them to deliver to one area but not another. From what I'm hearing, they'll be mostly all delivered by end of October. I asked about build numbers and they aren't saying, but a little speculation might help.
    There are about 150 Livewire dealers in USA. Most of them have pre-sold 3 or 4 Livewires, some a few more, some a few less. I heard of one that sold 10. So, lets' call that 600 units. I'm hearing that each dealer is getting one for the showroom and demo rides, in fact, HD wanted to ship those to the dealers first, but the dealers wanted their sold bikes first. So, that would be up to 750 units. If they have 250 units earmarked for Europe, that would be an initial run of 1000 units. All speculation, of course. I have no real knowledge of the build numbers and HD isn't saying.
    CD
    Traxx likes this.
  17. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    India sells 21 million motorcycles a year, over 57,000 every day. The initial guesstimate of HD Livewires at 1000 is really really small in the overall world market.

I want one but over $40,000 in Canada, not going to happen.
  18. alienbogey

alienbogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely premature to label the LiveWire a failure before the dealers have received them.

Also, it's not just the LiveWire, but HD has a whole line of electric bikes on the way, with the entry point being electric balance bikes aimed at kids as young as 3, as this article explains.

Last week I walked into an HD dealer in Chicago and, while they didn't yet have a LiveWire on the floor, they did have those two electric little kid models. My 4 year old grandson will be getting one for Christmas.

I mean, with the LiveWire Harley is starting its electric transition at the top, kind of like a CVO Ultra. I don't believe anyone, HD included, is expecting to sell a ton of them to young adults. But, with the bottom offering being electric balance bikes for preschoolers and the lineup eventually filling in with electric bicycles, scooters, lightweight motorcycles, etc, I think the strategy has a chance.

The future is electric and if HD doesn't succeed with them then they will be like a mastodon stuck in a tar pit. And they'll be stuck not because their bread & butter is V-twin cruisers, but because internal combustion bikes will go away, and every other legacy maker that fails to transition will be in the pit with them.
    SocalRob, MJSfoto1956 and voltsxamps like this.
  19. maddjack

maddjack UFO Pilot Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. RCmoto

RCmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a buzz kill