The HiFi Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Misery Goat, May 8, 2009.

1. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    well i broke the golden rule last week.

let me introduce to you the SUPERNAIT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my paradigm is crumbling. :cry

SUPERNAIT reference integrated amplifier

SUPERNAIT is not just a superbly musical amplifier; it's an analogue and digital audio control and connection hub that just happens to have some of the world's best audio amplification attached. SUPERNAIT's preamplifier section is directly descended from Naim's superlative reference series preamplifiers, and its power amplifier incorporates all the techniques and know-how that give voice to the traditional Naim qualities of rhythmic musicality.
    WHAT DO YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO?

Along with sound quality, connection is SUPERNAIT's forte. The 21st Century has seen an explosion of music carriers, formats and delivery systems. With analogue inputs via both DIN and phono sockets, digital inputs via both coaxial and optical sockets, a combined digital optical/analogue front panel input and on-board re-clocked digital to analogue conversion, there's very little that SUPERNAIT can't handle.

SUPERNAIT is just as versatile with its outputs. In addition to the power amplifier speaker outputs, it carries separate record, preamplifier, bi-amp/ subwoofer outputs, and a front panel mounted headphone output driven from a separate power amplifier. Independent record and listen selections add to the versatility, and flexible input assignment means any input socket - analogue or digital - can be assigned to any source selection button. SUPERNAIT versatility knows no bounds.
    JUST ADD SPEAKERS

Once everything is connected, just add speakers, turn up the volume and listen. The versatility of SUPERNAIT doesn't disguise the fact that it is a world-class amplifier. The preamplifier section is transparent, detailed and fast - just like Naim's other preamplifiers - and the SUPERNAIT power amplifier delivers generous, muscular and musical power into almost any speaker load.
    STILL NEED MORE?

An upgrade path has always been a part of the Naim offering. While SUPERNAIT caters for your connectivity needs, we've also covered your future upgrade requirements. SUPERNAIT is probably the only amplifier you'll ever need; however in true Naim style, we've still anticipated you aspiring to greater things in the future. And if you do, a power supply, power amplifier or even a phono stage is only an upgrade away. A LANDMARK AMPLIFIER

A new integrated amplifier from Naim doesn't come along very often. With its analogue and digital versatility, SUPERNAIT offers the connectivity that 21st century music lovers demand both today and tomorrow, along with the world-class musical performance they deserve.

SUPERNAIT Features:
    * 400VA transient output capability
    * Custom designed toroidal transformer with seven separate windings
    * Upgradeable with FLATCAP, HI-CAP or SUPERCAP
    * Bi-ampable
    * On-board DAC powers down when using analogue input
    * S/PDIF Digital inputs (Coax and Optical)
    * Six Analogue Inputs, Five digital inputs
    * Powered input for use with Stageline or Prefix phono stages
    * Input mapping
    * Subwoofer output
    * Front-panel headphone socket
    * Can be used as a preamplifier or power amplifier
    * Independent listen and record
    * Bi-directional RS232 port for connection for custom install into 'intelligent homes'
    * Remote Controlled via Remote or optional RS232

Specifications
    Inputs 11 (six analogue, five digital)
    Tape outputs 2
    Tape output level 75mV, 600 Ohms
    Input sensitivities 75mV, 47 kOhms
    Digital Inputs S/PDIF up to 24-bit/96kHz
    preampoutput level 0.775mV, <50 Ohms
    Input overload margin, all audio frequencies 40dB
    Power output continuous [8 Ohms] 80 Watts per channel
    Transient capability 400VA
    Voltage gain +29dB
    Quiescent consumption 10VA
  2. pirahna

pirahna Long timer

Oddometer:
    :tb
  3. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    Naim used to be the crack cocaine of the audio world...
  4. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Kinda big, isn't it?

You think it's as good as a Valentine?
  5. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Hell, my hearing is so bad (thanks KTM 950) the only way I can tell if I farted is by the vibrations. I can save money on the HiFi.
    Gundecker likes this.
  6. Ray of Sunshine

Ray of Sunshine Happy Grrrl

Oddometer:
    I just violated the 10th commandment. Damn both of us. Schweeeet.

Which Bose speakers you running, and how many watts will they hold?

I just rememberized you are a Jarhead. WTF do you need a HiFi in a fighting hole full of mud?
  7. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :tb :bow
    How much did that run you? I bet the sound quality is amazing!
  8. AnnieGS

AnnieGS Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer:

No kidding. Until Dolby comes out with a tinnitus filter I'm keeping my Fisher-Price radio. :lol3
    Uke and local1 like this.
  9. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    Jeebus -- a $5k amp that you can upgrade by putting ~$5k more into?

Guess that blows the Paradigm titan speakers I bought for $200 recently into the weeds...
  10. choirboy

choirboy Yankee Racers - Founder

Oddometer:
    I've seen your set-up in person, and it is impressive.

But with your claimed hearing loss, can you tell the difference? And I'm not talking about between your equipment and a Bose Wave radio or something stupid.
  11. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    Wish it wasn't so hot down your way, we need a jam session.:trp
  12. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    actually my hearing is still in the normal range. and i'm still quite sensitive to music.

my tinnitus reached an all time high when i was riding the 950 Adv with Arai XD, even with custom ear plugs. now that i've changed helmets and bikes the tinnitus is only intermittent. i did a >1K mile trip on the SE with no ringing.

and with this equipment you get virtually no signal noise so the music can be enjoyed at relative high volumes with no ill effects.
  13. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    the remarkable thing with this amp is that it's an integrated.

anyone who's into hifi will tell you that separate control and amplification is the only way to go. well Naim has said to hell with convention and designed a truly reference level integrated that is just magnificent.

i'll be placing my old pre and power amp on the selling block.

i'm listeing to a recent live remaster of the Stan Getz Quartet and i can hear the spit resonating in his saxophone.

that Astrud Gilberto sure was dreamy. :tb
    Parrothead likes this.
  14. AzB

AzB Fattest thin man

Oddometer:
    Tubes and horns. Just sayin'.

While that is a very nice amp, I have to say that the return on investment dollar for amps is about the lowest of any component. Before I would bother to uprade to a setup like that, I would make sure my room acoustics are in order with proper setup and treatment. Next in line is speakers. Super fancy amps are really pretty much last on the list.

That being said, it is very pretty, and I'm sure it sounds great in the right room with the right speakers.

Az
  15. Rafiki

Rafiki Some Dude

Oddometer:
    what is it and what do you want for it?
  16. Misery Goat

Oddometer:

yes, i'm familiar with the importance of room acoustics. btdt.

i've been at this a while now and your statement about amps is may apply to the equipment you've purchased but Naim is a different beast. and speakers are the least important of the equation with the source being the most important. but at the end of the day there needs be some balance maintained among all the components in the system. some audiophiles would argue my Raymond Cooke Kef 104.2s are a weak point but i don't consider myself an audiophile. the 104.2 is the GS of speakers, it does everything well imo.
  17. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    NAC 72 (NAC=Naim Audio Control) this component is unpowered and requires a separate power supply. I was using it with a Hicap which i'm keeping to use with the Supernait.

[​IMG]

NAP 250 (NAP=Naim Audio Power) the middle box in this pic

[​IMG]

these were the flag ship control and amplification of Naim through mid 90s, back when they wouldn't even put a remote on their equipment b/c of the degrading effect to the audio signal.

At the heart of Naim equipment is an adherence to simplistic elegance. They go to great lengths to preserve the travel of the audio signal and nothing is added that impedes this delivery.

it's only through power supply advancements they were able to add a remote to their later equipment.

early naim equipment was black boxes with chrome edges, this series is referred to as the Bumper series.

[​IMG]

later they evolved to the green boxes which are referred to as the Olive series. early Olive series is marked by a more brownish green color and the later is more green. my 72/250 are early olive, my CDS2/XPS/Hicap are late olive (see above).
  18. Ray of Sunshine

Ray of Sunshine Happy Grrrl

Oddometer:
    ?=$
  19. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    i don't really want to turn this into a $ discussion and i'm not soliciting a sale here.

but, the NAC 72 retailed for $1,650 and fetches b/w $500 and $800 now on the s/h market.

the NAP 250 retailed for $3,600 and fetches b/w $1,200 and $2,000 now on the s/h market.

the nice thing about this kit is Naim can service all of it's gear. so basically i can have the 250 serviced for about $500 and it's as new. the capacitors and any other components that don't fall into spec are replaced. a very nice deal.
  20. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Paging Santa... :deal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]