The HiFi Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Misery Goat, May 8, 2009.

1. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been listening more so to tidal lately. Excited that they have some artifacts I’ve been looking for, such as the screaming Blue Messiahs Jesus Chrysler Drives a Dodge, and some Waylon.
  2. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Tidal is great for filling in the gaps of your own library. When I'm not listening to RP I'm usually shuffling my Tidal playlist.

You're a vet, right? Make sure you get your vet discount at Tidal. It gets the $20/month HiFi (lossless) subscription down to $12.

It looks like they give discounts for students and first responders too.

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003662825-Subscription-Types
  3. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a vet, but thanks for sharing that hear in case others see
  4. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never had a Dragon, but I had one of their models that had the "bay window" transport that came out and flipped the cassette around rather than moving the heads. I think it was an RX-303 or something like that. It was a 3-head deck. I used that thing to death making tapes for my Alpine 7136 in my '80 VW Scirocco! My next car, a new VW Jetta GLI, had a Nakamichi TD700 deck in it with a Canton Pullman box speaker on the rear window shelf and Nakamichi amps. That thing rocked!

I wouldn't mind finding one of those Nakamichi 303's, but WTF do you do with one of those today?

Misery Goat likes this.
  5. Josephvman

Oddometer:
    In college I worked for a few years at a family-owned high-end stereo shop. We had great stuff! Yamaha, Denon, and Klipsch were our bread and butter lines. Then we had some great middle end gear, Adcom, Aragon, Vandersteen and Magnaplanar. For the high-end we had Mark Levinson and Meridian. We used to get unbelievable employee deals, something like half of dealer cost, and back then most of the lines were 40-50% margin. I got some awesome deals on rep samples too. My best score was a Meridian Pro 207 CD player (2 box Phillips-based unit) that in 1987 was around $3,000 retail. I got a rep sample that was used at a trade show for less than $300! It had an issue, so it went back to Meridian in the UK and they basically replaced the entire thing. I was a fairly broke kid bouncing from apartment to apartment back then, and I scored a pair of Meridian M30 rep sample powered speakers to go with that CD player, which actually had a built-in preamp with digital volume control and a couple of high level inputs and a phono stage. I had that setup with a Rega turntable and awesome Yamaha tuner (T-80 I think) as my system for a long time. I kept all that gear until I moved to Houston in 1998, and finally sold it around 2004.

I really had the best time at that job, and learned a lot about selling, which is eventually what I ended up doing for a living!
    Misery Goat likes this.
  6. Norton guy

Norton guy Serial bike owner

Oddometer:
    Cardinal rule of sales: ABC

always be closing
  7. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    A video from a different era in HiFi audio making. It's cool to see all those old chrome bumper boxes getting built.

8. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sniff sniff....just sold my Klipsch Heresys. Last thing I had left of my 80s super system.
    local1 likes this.
  9. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    I bought one when I was in the Air Force it was sweet. It was kind of like a guy living in a shack owning a Lamborghini. Oh to be young and irresponsible again.
    local1 and Misery Goat like this.
  10. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    That system also included a pair of Heresy’s as well.
    phillyrube likes this.
  11. Josephvman

Oddometer:
    When I was selling hifi gear in college at a Klipsch dealer (see my other recent post in the thread), the owner had an old pair of unfinished Heresy's that were signed by Paul Klipsch. He used them as the PA speakers for his Grateful Dead cover band for decades. They were spray painted black and he screwed handles onto them. The autograph was on the label on the back, which he covered with a piece of clear lucite screwed over it. We had a set of Klipschorns in the shop that we used to drive with a set of Mark Levinson #20 monoblocks, and in the summer we'd open the doors and play that system so loud you could hear it a block away! Our favorites to play on that system were the Dead's Breakdown Street, and Dire Strait's Brother in Arms album. Also Yes 90210. Fun times!

12. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just recently restored these babies. Siemens RL-171. Re-did the crossover, re-did the weather stripping on the back (it was rattling), put new vinyl veneer, and new red grill cloth. They sound really good, and they’re quite rare in the USA.

image.jpg

Charles.
  13. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    That's a nice looking set up.

fullsizeoutput_2837.jpeg
  14. Nodabs

Nodabs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I hate the internet. I've been watching and perusing all the Decware stuff and now I think it's time to upgrade, even thought my stuff isn't even two years old yet.:dirtdog
    local1 and Nodabs like this.
  16. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about a old Marantz?

I bought a 2240 this evening for garage duty. What a huge difference from my current pos Onkyo, the Marantz was built in 1974 the Onkyo is fairly new? I am currently looking for a Marantz 4000 quadradial 4 pre amp so that I can add 2 more channels.

IMG_20191007_190019260.jpg
  17. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any old vintage receiver is going to sound better than all but today's really expensive stuff. Price adjusted for inflation, some of those receivers cost as much as a car back in the day. That's a good unit, and a little TLC (Cleaning, bulbs, replacement knobs, refinish cabinet) and you'll have a beauty.

Charles.
  18. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Okay then. It is official. That is settled.

I am going to pull the Yorx amplifier that has been sitting in a moldy basement for the last thirty years and plug it into my system. I can sell off a much newer amp to some sucker that does not know better.
  19. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish that I had known that yrs ago. I have been throwing money at this for awhile. I have a receiver in the living room that was bought only last December, it has very whistle and bell but can't touch the $150 Marantz that is now in the garage? I bought all new Polk audio speakers months before that. I have wasted alot the last 5 yrs.
  20. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    I can't tell if you're asking or telling but I doubt you can currently buy a mid level amp at any of the current big retailers that sounds as good as my almost 40 yo NAD 3020 amp with any speaker.
    local1 likes this.