The HiFi Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Misery Goat, May 8, 2009.

1. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hah, not a yorx. But seriously, even the entry level units from yesteryear sound VERY good compared to modern big box store receviers.

I'm running a Pioneer QX4000 in my office (Quadraphonic, with 4 advent speakers), and while it was an entry-level quad receiver in 1974, it's one of the sweetest sounding receivers I've ever laid ears to.

I've got a Toshiba SC-665 power amp with SY-665 preamp in the den, and a Pioneer SA-5800 integrated amp in the bedroom. All of these sound amazing. The QX4000 was my father's, but the rest were yard sale and thrift shop finds.

Two years ago, my girlfriend desperately wanted a receiver with bluetooth for her bedroom, so she could listen to audiobooks from her phone in bed. I bought her a nice mid level receiver with good reviews, and it.... well, it works wonderfully for her usage, which is audio books and blasting Pentagram, but the sound quality is far away from any of my ancient old receivers. Part of it is they just don't make them the same way anymore. All of my old gear is HEAVY. They all have giant transformers inside. Modern equipment, especially the mid-level stuff, tends to use too much feedback and too-small transformers, resulting in a harsher sound. It's hard to desribe until you hear them side by side in an A/B test.

Two other really great machines were Sony STR-7045 and the Kenwood KR-4070. I wish I still had the kenwood. The Sony actually sounded better, but I couldn't get past the awkward input selection switches and knobs.

Charles.
    local1 likes this.
  2. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen this on several Marantz online.
    What is up with the jumper wires between the main in and pre out??

Screenshot_20191008-144653.png
  3. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those allowed you to use the preamp or power amp stages independently.

4. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Yup, you could use the marantz as a preamp to drive a big tube amplifier, or a big Phase Linear power amp, a pair of monoblocks, or whatever you want.

Charles.
  5. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    They allow you to buy an amplifier, real cheap, because it appears to be broken when the jumpers are missing.
    Parrothead, mslim and ChopperCharles like this.
  6. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really? The unit plays great?
  7. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The jumpers aren't on mine?
  8. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    The jumpers are on yours. That's what those u-shaped pieces of metal are.

Charles.
  9. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a pic that I took from the internet.
  10. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I get home I will post a pic of mine. But there are no jumpers. I never realized that until I got home and thought something looked different from the other photos I had looked at.
  11. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Maybe you have a slightly different model? Not all Marantz receivers had preamp outputs. The 2225 looks very similar to the 2240 you posted, but it does not have preamp outputs. Post a pic of what you've actually got!

Charles.
  12. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine

IMG_20191008_182956453.jpg
  13. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
  14. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    At one time I used the pre-amp out/in jumpers in my 2270 to insert a BBE Sonic Maximizer into the system. I never understood technically what the mojo was but it did seem to make the sound better. Perhaps it compensated for the aging caps in my JBL 4311's crossovers? Could also be used for a graphic equalizer if you are so inclined.
  16. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Technically noise reduction or equalizing should be done on a tape loop or dedicated processor loop if your preamp has it. They’re generally designed for line level equalization and processing, not preamp level. You can usually get away with it at lower volumes though.

Charles.
  17. local1

local1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok so knowing what receiver I am using what should my next purchase be? Im looking for the biggest bang for the $ ? I have so much money and time tied up in other hobby stuff that it's hard to justify jumping into the deep end at the moment. I would absolutely love to add to more channels with a quadradial something component, but I can't even find the one that I'm looking for.
  18. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    So is a waste of money to consider upgrading to a tube amp, when listening room has shitty acoustics (which I cannot change) and my main music source is CD's?
  19. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Yes, it’s still worth it. Even with bad acoustics there are a lot of things you can do to make the sound better and a nice tube amp imparts a beautiful sound. I have a yaqin MC-100B that I love :)

Charles.
    Parrothead likes this.
  20. doctor_big

doctor_big Oy!

Oddometer:
    Those amps are huge value for the money.