The HiFi Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Misery Goat, May 8, 2009.

1. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had mine since 2007. A couple years ago I had an old gassy tube blow, and it took out some capacitors. All of which were easily replaceable by someone without any kind of test equipment or skill. I upgraded all the caps while I was in there, and have been using it since. My MC-100B has been in regular use for over a decade with only that one problem, which was no fault of the amplifier itself. In fact, it had survived gassy tubes in the past... I was just... erm... on the can when it happened, so it took me too long to get to the amp to shut it down. Once the lightning show begins, every second counts.

12 years of almost daily use has proven the amp to be extremely reliable.

Charles
  2. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I don't know enough about this stuff to do it on my own. Shit I can't even solder two wires together and have it hold. I'm looking at the Decware stuff, so I have support. And if he dies, I hope someone there is going to keep it going.
  3. Nodabs

Nodabs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been very happy with my Decware amps, I've never had a glitch. Their service is second to none and their Forum is a great place to learn about all things HiFi.
  4. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Well, the MC-100B frying was my fault. I was experimenting with a lot of tubes I bought off of eBay, some of which were known to be gassy. It's easy to pseudo-test them, if they can't settle down to an acceptable voltage across the test points, there's too much gas in the tubes and it will head towards cascade failure and a lightning show. I was using one that was borderline... and it went across the border.

If you buy from the place in canada you get a 3 year warranty, and he does service the units as well. tamrac is the ebay seller associated with the hifi shop, if memory serves. Dunno if that place is still around, but it was a year or two ago.

Charles.
  5. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Tubes taking out circuitry is one of the reasons I would look at Primaluna amps if I were to really desire a tube amp.
  6. doctor_big

doctor_big Oy!

Oddometer:
    Occasionally they just take out a sacrificial resistor. Usually they just fade out and you replace them with new ones.
  7. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    Yes but it is still a trip to the shop or me taking the time to figure it out. I would rather ride my motorcycle or listen to music in my free time than mess around with electronicals.
  8. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Just FYI, I had one problem with my tube amp in 12 years of ownership. It was my fault, and well past any kind of warranty. By almost a decade. Buy good tubes, and stay in the room when it’s turned on and you won’t have problems.

Charles.
  9. doctor_big

doctor_big Oy!

Oddometer:
    concur.
  10. doctor_big

doctor_big Oy!

Oddometer:
    I'd recommend against buying yourself a tube amp.
  11. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    True. A tube amp is going to be more maintenance and care than a transistor amp. He might be better off with a nice vintage rig with giant transformers and clean sound. An old top of the line Sansui, Pioneer, or Marantz, perhaps. Send it out to a shop once to have it completely refreshed, or buy one that's already been serviced, and then enjoy it for another 40 years. The high-end equipment from the mid 70s through early 80s had truly amazing sound.

Charles.
  12. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Rocking out to Uriah Heep on vinyl tonight. “...Very 'Eavy ...Very 'Umble” their first studio album. I have the re-release picture disc, which is a little noisy and sibilant, but I still am really enjoying it.

88B4BAFF-62BF-4BE4-9513-6615B5A87025.jpeg

Charles.
    Misery Goat and Parrothead like this.
  13. Nodabs

Nodabs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just built a pair of speakers for a guy that I work with. They are 1/4 wave transmission lines using some very inexpensive drivers. They aren't too bad at all, decent bass and a real smooth midrange, the treble is just a bit bright on some recordings but nothing that I'm going to worry about.
    $175 total investment

[​IMG]
    Misery Goat and local1 like this.
  14. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I had pretty much ruled it out for the time being due to financial reasons. The amp I want would require high sensitivity speakers, the ones I want rarely come up for sale used.
  15. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    Uh, no thanks. I am very pleased with my contemporary amplifier and speaker combinations. I have no desire to have old stuff in my audio system.

In fact, I am in process of comparing speakers in my living room setup. Right now, a pair of 30 year old Snells is losing the battle to new speakers... with more listening to come.
  16. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    How many hours did you put into them? Is your time without value?
  17. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    For high efficiency speakers, may I suggest Cerwin Vega? I know, I know, they don’t have a good HiFi reputation, but the VS series has a wonderful mid and tweeter, and is actually quite detailed and not boomy whatsoever. And they’re madly efficient, 102dB at 4 ohm. The VS-150 is the TOTL offering from CV, and aimed at audiophiles. The VS-120 is the same thing, but with a smaller 12” woofer instead of the 15”.

Charles.
  18. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:

I am not particularly interested in owning anything made by CV, thank you.

If I were to go the higher efficiency route it would be Audio Note.
  19. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Yup, figured that’d be the response. CV has a bad rep, and perhaps not undeserved, but I like my VS-150s.

Charles.
  20. Nodabs

Nodabs Been here awhile

Oddometer: