The HiFi Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Misery Goat, May 8, 2009.

1. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    While full range drivers can be good for some music, I am not convinced they have the ability to deal with more complex music.
  2. doctor_big

doctor_big Oy!

Oddometer:
    Concur. Never heard a Lowther I liked. Tannoys can be fun, but they have their own sound.
  3. HomeMadeSin

HomeMadeSin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think my ears should expect a future of hurt. I found Tidal thanks to this thread. Working all day about 2 feet away from the 104dB/watt Klipschorns driven by a 110Wpc Denon and throw in an SW-15 sub...:-)
    Misery Goat and ChopperCharles like this.
  4. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have some questions.

So, I was listening to RP's FLAC stream the other day at an elevated volume, and the standard LP version of this song came on:

Hannah's vocals were dreamy of course, but the bass vibrated my very soul in the nicest way possible, textured and rolling. And then I listened to the same song just now via iTunes, standard mp3 file on my HD, and the bass was . . . undefined mush. Disappointing. How does one procure hi-res music files for the home collection?

On a related note, I live in a townhouse, and my next door neighbor has complained of noise (see "elevated volume," above) ever since I moved the modest NAD 3020 to the living room. Its bass output is much, much better than the modern big-box store Sony it replaced. Would speaker stands help isolate my tunes from the neighbor's house? She's a good neighbor and I don't want to piss her off. My speakers (Celestion DL12's) are currently resting on some foam pad thingies.

Meanwhile, neighbor is out at her son's football game, so rock on.
  5. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    That FLAC is pretty good, right? :lol3

If you own CDs you can rip them and have that sound quality.

If you have a lot of music you'll need more hard drive space.

I'm happy to go through my process if you want. I'm heading out until later but I'l throw it up if you're interested in getting your library set up.
    bcbullet and HarveyMushman like this.
  6. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    I ripped all my CD’s a few years ago so some of my library is good quality, but anything purchased more recently was via iTunes so it’s mp3 crap. I guess I’ll have to decide how much of that I want to replace with hi-res files.

Anything you want to share I’ll appreciate.
  7. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are other services that sell FLAC. Even crazy 24-96 versions of albums. https://www.hdtracks.com/ https://store.tidal.com/us/ https://bandcamp.com/
  8. bcbullet

bcbullet From eh to zed

Oddometer:
    Not sure how it works in your neck of the woods, but our local library can bring in an astonishing number of CDs. I went on a binge last year and ripped in the neighbourhood of 700. Not much music compared to some, but it seems that I usually just shuffle a playlist of my favourite hundred or so songs anyway.
  9. Nodabs

Nodabs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about buying myself a solid state amplifier. I've been running tube amps for the last 15 or so years and am thinking that maybe something from First Watt would be the right way to approach solid state.
    Has anyone had any experience with First Watt? I'm looking at a SIT-3, everything I read says that it is "tuby" sounding.
    Or is there something else out there that would be more interesting?
  10. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    Ok, you've already ripped your library. Did you rip them to lossless AIFF? WAV?? If not I would re-rip them to a lossless format and then you can make copies into lossless codec formats (FLAC, ALAC) that take up less space. I even have a library that's ripped at 128k AAC for portable devices, uses much less space. I like AIFF b/c it's flexible for meta data and it can be converted to the various lossless codec file types (FLAC, ALAC) after. Some prefer WAV. iTunes works pretty good for ripping and is easy. I used XLD in the past b/c it's supposed to be better but it takes longer to rip with and requires more tweaking. iTunes folder format can be used for other streamers if you want as well. I basically plucked out the Artist/Album folders to use as my NAS library (see below).

For years I streamed from a SSD macbook with a SSD external drive (library) using iTunes. Initially I used a mini jack to RCA into my old NAD 3020 and it sounded pretty good. Later I picked up a Quad integrated amp and did the same except with a USB input which took it up another level. The SSD Mac and external drive are quiet and USB is a pretty good input for noise, some gains are to be had using a better quality cable too.

But going to a NAS on a network is where the sound quality really gets good. My local streams (ie from my NAS) sound better than the RP FLAC if you can imagine. Big soundstage, depth, so much texture in the instrumentation and presentation.

When you're ripping just remember to keep your files in the Artist/Album format, iTunes does this automatically. Also, iTunes will grab the artwork but it's managed through their app files. If you take the time to include the artwork in a cover.jpg file in each album folder you'll be rewarded if you decide to go to a different platform streamer. I have thousands of CDs and had to use aftermarket software to get all the artwork into each folder. It was kind of a pita. :lol2 I've been working on my library for years and have it pretty much nailed down. All contiguous albums, artwork, and meta data. It's probably about 99% right, I found a track a few months ago that needed its tag corrected.

Keep a copy of your library and a back up like this and you can use it for just about anything.

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 3.19.19 PM.png
    HarveyMushman likes this.
  11. doctor_big

doctor_big Oy!

Oddometer:
    Not sure why you'd rip to wav format then convert to flac... Wav doesn't support tagging and that's the most tricky and laborious part of this process.

Also you can convert from flac back to wav any time you want.

Seems like an extra process that chews up disk space with no real benefit.

Maybe it's different in the Apple world....
  12. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    That's helpful, thanks. My library is on a SSD Macbook Pro. I had initially set it up on an external drive but iTunes somehow moved it all to the Macbook's HD--not sure how that happened. I'm running out of space on the laptop so I need to get it moved back to an external drive.
  13. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:

I rent pretty much all my music from Tidal. I don’t bother myself with downloads, storage, the alphabet of types of files and their quality. One can download the music and store it wherever you want, as long as you continue to pay the fee. I think Qobuz makes it easy to purchase music.

Good speaker stands will improve the sound of a stand mount speaker. Aren’t your speakers floor standers?

I doubt the foam pad is doing anything positive for the sound.

I am guessing your neighbor is hearing more bass, just as you are.

Try pulling the speakers away from the wall. You might get even more defined bass and it will probably less of a problem for the neighbor.

Of course, since this is AdvRider, I need to ask the question: Is she hot?
  14. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    Some people prefer the sonics. I don't.
    You just need to re-direct iTunes to the library on your external drive through preferences. You can copy the music folder from your mac to a hard drive with all the iTunes app files and it'll be exactly as you have now only the music will be on your external drive. You'll have to have it connected to your mac to use of of course. I used those little 2TB Lacie drives for years, they've never failed on me and they're reasonably inexpensive. I use a WD 4TB drive now. I have time machine back ups and additional copies on drives as back ups. I've re-ripped my library a couple times so I'm trying to avoid going through that again.

Edit-
    Sorry, I missed your question about the noise. I'd get your speakers on spikes, that will help. But at the end of the day the dynamics are going to be hard to escape if she's in close proximity. A good set of over ear headphones is an alternative. I always liked Grado if you're willing to spend some coin.
  15. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:

Yes, spikes should be helpful as well. If you don’t want to pay for spikes, you can use bolts to raise the speakers off the floor.

Speaking of flooring do you have a hard floor or carpet? Adding sound deadening material in the room (like books or additional carpets) might help.

The problem with he headphones is getting the neighbor to wear them.
    HarveyMushman and Misery Goat like this.
  16. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    Since this is ADvRider, I need to assure you she's the hottest.

The speakers are floor standers but apparently they originally had a removable base that mine lack.

[​IMG]

I have them about 9" from the wall now, on a hard floor. Maybe I need to rearrange the living room so that the speakers aren't on the wall that separates the houses. Will have to run that one by my loving wife.
  17. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    Here's the folder you want to copy.

Just create a Music folder on your external drive and drop the iTunes folder from your mac in it. You want to make sure you get those itl and itdb files as that's what Apple uses to manage the meta data of your music, so you'll see all the same artwork and track info you have now.

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 9.11.20 AM.png

Edit - you'll then point your iTunes (through preferences) to that folder on your external drive.
  18. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    Maybe make plinths for the speakers? (Some speakers manufacturers offered plinths for their speakers. Most people avoided them as they just added to the cost of the speakers. Or, they bought the next level up for the cost of the speakers plus plinths.)

Spikes or bolts on disks to protect the floor would be a lot easier.

Even a few inches further from the wall would probably make everyone happier.

CARPETS!
  19. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    Anyone interested in buying a pair of Snell E IV speakers?
  20. Misery Goat

Oddometer: