The HiFi Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by misery goat, May 8, 2009.

1. ndcent

ndcent Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Technics 1200's FTW!
  2. ducatidoc

ducatidoc Destiny's Other Child

Oddometer:
    Looks like you're ready for some scratchin'
  3. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I agree with much of what you say and I participated in some of the madness over the years. Somewhere along the way it became an exercise of big box collecting. Then i discovered Naim Audio and i was able to focus on the music again. I go much longer periods of time now without messing with my system. Hell, i just bought an integrated amp for my main system, something i would've never consider 10 years ago. And this is the first component i've purchased in 3 or 4 years.

i dedicated our front room to our listening area. it has bay windows with a mountain view. one of my favorite things to do is pop a bottle of wine, chill with my wife, and listen to one of our fav recordings while getting some couch time.

Btw, Naim is scaring me with this.

HDX Hard Disk player

[​IMG]

the word on the street is the sound quality is on par with a CDX which is a formidable reference cd player. having my 2k+ cds in an easily accessible format AND audiophile quality is a huge step. they've certainly piqued my interest.
  4. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    $9k and it only holds 600 CDs?

:razor

:hide
  5. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:

:nod

See barking dog thread. :lol3
  6. dancy

dancy Undescended Testicle

Oddometer:
    Room acoustics my ass. Dr. Bose figured out how to fix that when the 901 series came out in the 60s

:wave
  7. misery goat

Oddometer:
    good catch, that's definitely a problem. :lol3

i don't usually get the mk1 anyway. still, this is their first stab at it and if you know anything about the company's history it's a major departure from their paradigm.
  8. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When the price comes down and the memory increases they will sell. This product is exactly what I am waiting for.
  9. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    I know that this is the Hi-$-Fi thread but can someone recommend a reasonably priced method of playing MP3 or similar audio files on a home audio system?
  10. dancy

dancy Undescended Testicle

Oddometer:

I use my mp3 player and one of these :dunno

[​IMG]

About $10.00 at Radio Shack
  11. misery goat

Oddometer:
    i have i-pod docs at all my stereos in the house. you want to avoid using the ear plug jack as the signal is substandard for line level play back.

using the mini plug on a doc gives you a decent source for line level. most amps/receivers have an axillary in line level input. it's pretty easy to do.
  12. misery goat

Oddometer:
    it think BobFV1 just purchased something similar that is priced more reasonable.

i won't consider forking out this kind of coin until they have at least 10-15K song capacity.
  13. jazzmans

jazzmans this ams dildos

Oddometer:
    for less then 500$ you can make a music server of your own, install linux, and use any one of a million different media players. hell,, vlc even has a ipod app so you can use your iphone to controll it.
    use Grip to rip your cd's (be sure to uncheck delete wav's after encoding) and you'l have perfect copies, and mp3's to put on your ipod.
    I've got 26 thousand WAV songs on my media server.

jaz
  14. BobFV1

BobFV1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup - so far I am really enjoying my Olive Opus 4 - still early days but the sound quality with my Genelec TriPak is excellent, and I have room for about 3K FLAC-ripped CD's :thumb

[​IMG]

http://www.olive.us/products/opus4_overview.html#
  15. AzB

AzB Fattest thin man

Oddometer:
    Here's my tube love. Built two of these for my Altec VOTT horns. The horns are so efficient with the active crossovers that they can play 107db @ 1w. Tubes and horns... yum.

[​IMG]

The woofers are horn loaded and powered by a 600w per channel Altec amp.

The room is treated, and the remaining anomalies are handled with parametric EQ while the signal is still digital. Set up with a RTA and clibrated mic. The active crossovers have thier own D/A convertors, so the signal is all digital through the preamp, through the crossovers, and then the exact frequencies for each driver are sent out to the amp. The amp does not have to process anything but what the particular driver needs to play. Makes for a very efficient and clear sounding setup.

There's no black magic, no fuzzy science. I don't have magic stones, stupidly expensive cables, or little blocks to lift my cables up off the floor. Just clear, measurable, scientific, fact. Tweaked a little for personal taste, of course. :wink:

Az
  16. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at this matched with a set of speakers I found in a 1978 Ford Fairmont at the junkyard.
    [​IMG]
  17. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow.

Now we're getting somewhere and the price is attainable.....

I really don't want to deal with another computer and they'll load your CDs for pretty reasonable $$. Very interesting.
  18. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of tubes. This is a modified Fisher 400 playing to a set of Altec Santanas. Table is a Denon with B&O 20CL cart. Not loud but incredably clear at low vol.:
    [​IMG]
  19. misery goat

Oddometer:
    there's a lot of good retro solid state stuff out there that can be had cheap.

i picked a NAD 3020 up on ebay a while back for $100.

[​IMG]

i'm using it in the garage with an ipod through aux and some old polk speakers from college. it sounds better than anything you'll get at BB imo.
  20. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll second that.
    I got this B&O 9000 with the Penta II speakers for $700. The amp. is in each the speakers at 150W. Sound is great and clear at " really loud". Thats the receiver on the bottom shelf. Its so thin its almost invisable. Has remote. Second shelf holds a B&O 3404 turn table. Again the looks of this B&O stuff is way cool. I get a lot of my stuff from this guy http://www.soundsgoodtomehouston.com/refoam.htm check it out.

[​IMG]