The High Sierra Passes thread. Tales and Photos

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by wrk2surf, Dec 5, 2016.

1. gregkb

gregkb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about making the following little roadtrip this weekend...is 88 open?

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 1.58.03 PM.png
    Boxerbreath and bdesj like this.
  2. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    88 is an all weather highway and they try to keep it open all year. I'm sure it's open.
    gregkb likes this.
  3. gregkb

gregkb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks @michaeln - I was looking at a route that took 108 east to west, but Google Maps and Rever wouldn't let me map it out because of "seasonal closings." This one seemed more likely to be open!
  4. JimX

JimX .. .

Oddometer:
    This highway information is the latest reported as of Friday, May 31, 2019 at 14:42 .

SR 88
    [IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA & SIERRA NEVADA]
    1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM THE JCT OF SR 124 TO 0.6 MI EAST OF THE JCT OF SR 124 /AT BUENA VISTA RD/ (AMADOR CO) FROM 0700 HRS TO 1700 HRS WEDNESDAY THRU FRIDAY THRU 5/31/19 - DUE TO MAINTENANCE
    gregkb likes this.
  5. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    Good place to look is Caltrans district 9 Twitter page. Says they opened 108 yesterday.

https://twitter.com/Caltrans9?ref_s...e:Caltrans9&ref_url=http://www.dot.ca.gov/d9/

I've noticed Google maps can be slow about road closure notifications, sometimes showing roads closed that are actually open.

JPaccassi and gregkb like this.
  6. michaeln

Oddometer:
    gregkb likes this.
  7. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    88, being so wide makes the actual riding not as much fun as 4, but personally I think the scenery is right up there with the best of them. Caples and Silver Lake, Carson Pass and Carson Spur... good stuff for sure. And it's fast, too. Maybe you know CA 199? When I first rode 199 it reminded me a LOT of 88, so maybe that is a good comparison.
  8. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice loop, Greg. You and RJN got your tire(s) changed out? Are you aware of the gravel shortcut along the Carson River from Fort Churchill to just east of Dayton? Actually, it changes name to Six Mile Canyon when it crosses 50 (also gains a layer of asphalt) and continues up to Virginia City. Just an option, what you already posted is great too.
    gregkb likes this.
  9. gregkb

gregkb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did see a road for Six Mike Canyon toward Virginia City. This was just clicking around on REVER...I figured once I hit the road I’d do a lot of exploring any roads that seem appealing :)
  10. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :-)
  11. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree. I have left home early, got to the gate on Groveland side, ran over Tioga with almost zero traffic, in the summer. Catch it early and its no bother.
    I think I'll do 108 and 4 tomorrow.
    oldoval likes this.
  12. michaeln

Oddometer:
    I rode the early morning west to east direction on Tioga one day last summer. Not much traffic, but I froze my ass off as the temp was in the 40s. Took me quite a while to thaw out.

I might do it again this year, but I will def put on my heated jacket liner and heated gloves beforehand. Plus I would be doing it on my Goldwing with some better protection from the wind. The day I froze I was on my naked bike the KTM SuperDuke.
    gregkb likes this.
  13. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think I may do the 4 and 108 passes on Monday as well. Michaeln if you see a GSA headed over give me the ADV salute!
    michaeln and gregkb like this.
  14. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Will do.
  15. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    F7449C3F-DC71-4D77-874A-BD3A9F9068A1.jpeg Yup Sonora is open. The road is clean and I’d like to say dry, but it is raining up there. Heads up to anyone headed up there. Check the weather. Going east it started raining after the pass. On and off all the way to Bridgeport. And it was cold. On the return trip, I didn’t loose the rain until Cold Springs. Including a massive downpour just above Strawberry. Experienced an almost 50 degree temperature variation. From a low of 48 going down the east side to 95 in the valley on the return trip. This was the years first gathering of the Bridgeport for lunch club. I’m the only member. Overall a great ride. From the smell of pine, sage, petrichor. To the ravens dining on road kill to the Asian tourists taking selfies in the snow. It was a ride of extremes. Id do it again in a heartbeat.
    Huge shoutout to the eastbound rider that gave me a helmet tap just above Twain Hart.
  16. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report, Skag!
  17. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Tioga Road Update posted by the NPS
    May 30, 2019

“With some assistance from Mono County, the length of the road is plowed (at least one lane wide), although there is a high-risk avalanche zone at Olmsted Point. Crews are working on side rouds and utility areas. Much additional work remains prior to opening.

Snowpack in the Tuolumne River basin was at 149% of average this year as of May 1. View a list of previous opening dates. There is no estimated date for opening.

Highways 108 and 4, north of Yosemite, have opened for the season.

Glacier Point Road Update:

Glacier Point Road opened for the season to vehicles on May 10, 2019.”
  18. BigDogRaven

Oddometer:
    I too rode 3 passes (Sonora, Monitor, Ebbetts) yesterday, Sat June 1. Not sure when Skag was there, I did not see any rain, perfect conditions I thought. Was a bit chilly at the top, 47. Went E over Sonora, was at the summit at like 10 am. 395 N, Walker Burger was open, I went passed it tho without stopping. Monitor had lots of tree work going on. One-way controlled traffic, I hit it just right, had no one in front of me heading down to 4. Made the turn W on 4, much more snow on this side, lots of water running over road in many spots. A few sketchy spots for sure. Lakes still frozen or partially frozen. Best section of the loop; Highway 4 from Bear Valley to Arnold, love that stretch. A few pics:
    Lunch in Arnold at El Vaquero, outstanding!
    10CPROI110101-001924.JPG

Attached Files:

bdesj, rjnutt, Motorius and 1 other person like this.
  19. michaeln

Oddometer:
    I ate lunch at El Vaquero yesterday too. I was there from about 2PM to 2:30, and saw what I guess was your bike (black sport tourer, didn't get the brand) parked right by the door. Thanks for the report.
    BigDogRaven likes this.
  20. BigDogRaven

Oddometer:

Yep, that was me. My 3rd time eating there, actually could be the best Mexican food I have ever had! Each time has been great, I passed on Walker Burger for this.