The High Sierra Passes thread. Tales and Photos

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by wrk2surf, Dec 5, 2016.

1. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since I live in Avery El Vaquero is my local Mexican place, only about 4 miles up the hill from me. I don't think it is the best I have had, but it's quite good. I had Chicken Mole, and discovered I am not a mole kinda guy. Won't do that again.
    BigDogRaven likes this.
  2. 23103a

23103a not n00b

Oddometer:
    Is the Tres Perlas food truck still there? That nice lady always made a good burrito..
  3. gregkb

gregkb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some pretty amazing riding around these parts!

I left out of Stateline on Saturday morning around 10am, and headed down 50 through Meyers, and took 89 over Luther Pass, then 88 over to Alpine Village, then 89 down through Markleeville and over Monitor Pass. Just past the traffic control, I spied a little two-track off to the left, which turned out to be the road to Leviathan Peak. I took that up as far as I could, which was almost all the way up before snow blocked the road.

So I came back down and took 89 over to 395, and turned north toward Topaz Lake. Just past the lake, I took 208 through Smith Valley, and then 339 through Mason. I took a few minutes and screwed around taking pictures of the old drive-in around there...a very cool spot. I kept north, until I headed west on Fort Churchill road, which was a fun 15-mile dirt track where I only got scared half to death by one snake, and almost got stuck in deep sand by the river about 12 times.

That road ended at 50, and became Six Mile Canyon Road, which I took all the way to Virginia City, and then 341 up to Reno. Then I hopped on 431 over Mt. Rose...but not before stopping off for gas. Here's where I made a rookie mistake: popped off the magnetic tank bag the previous owner of my KLR gave me with the bike so I could access the gas cap. Got filled up, hopped on the bike, and off I went. About froze my ass off over Mt. Rose, and when I got to a traffic light in King's Beach, I looked down and noticed...no tank bag! A guy pulled up next to me and said, "I think you lost a bag back there! About halfway up the mountain!"

So, I turned around and backtracked over the pass, scanning the opposite lane. Reached the bottom, turned around, and went back up the pass...not easy to search for a gray tank bag among gray rocks and gravel, while simultaneously trying to not get killed by every muscle car racing up the pass. No dice...I won't miss the bag, but it did have an old ballcap with some sentimental value in it. Thankfully, I had moved my expensive rangefinder camera into my tail bag earlier!

After my third summit of Mt. Rose, I decided against going home via the western shore, so I just hit 28 to Incline and followed that back around to Stateline. All in all, just shy of 300 miles, got the new tires scrubbed in nicely (with just the tiniest of chicken strips remaining!) and had a blast exploring the mountains and desert around here. Looking forward to the next trip already!
    Motorius, BigDogRaven and rjnutt like this.
  4. michaeln

Oddometer:
    The truck is still there in the same place, but that wonderful lady that made the great food is no longer part of it. It was taken over by the less than mediocre Angels Mexican Restaurant in Angels Camp. IMO, the food is just barely OK, where before it was really super good.
    gregkb likes this.
  5. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed ride report. Sounds like you had a great time!
    gregkb likes this.
  6. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Did my first passes loop of the year today. Left Avery, up over Ebbetts, to Markleeville (which looked like a ghost town), then over Monitor, south to Walker for a tasty Walker Burger and an extra large order of restroom key, then south on 395 again to 108, up and over 108 down to 49, Parrott's Ferry to 4, 4 back home to Avery.

Weather was great, temps were nice. The passes were low to mid 50s, 80 down on 395, 85 in Sonora 79 in Avery. Almost no traffic. Saw one group of 3 bikes on 4, and a nice red 2018 Goldwing stopped at Ebbetts Pass. One Indian Scout at Walker Burger, a few HDs along 108.

The roads are in great shape with only a few places where snowbanks have collapsed onto the road and a few small rockslides. Lots of suicidal chipmunks, I granted one his wish with my back tire.
  7. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    How deep is the snow on top of Monitor? Will it be a while before it's totally gone?
  8. michaeln

Oddometer:
    There was so little that I didn't really pay attention to it. I think it will be all gone in a week or so of these temps.
    gregkb and Drop_Center like this.
  9. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    I'm staying at the Creekside in Markleeville (my usual place when passing through) tomorrow night on my way north. I haven't been through there since the forest fire.

10. 23103a

23103a not n00b

Oddometer:
    That sucks. Guess I’ll go elsewhere now..
  11. michaeln

Oddometer:
    You might give the place a try. I'm an asshole and pretty hard to please when it comes to Mexican food.

That truck seems to be busy a lot around lunch, mostly with Mexican tree work crews. Just cause I don't care for it doesn't mean you won't.

They're not open Sundays.
    23103a likes this.
  12. michaeln

Oddometer:
    The fire damage is pretty horrific. That said, I am usually so busy scanning the road surface for debris that I don't have much attention left over to look at the forest, damaged or otherwise.

I am really paranoid about tire slides.
  13. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    That was us on 4 and we saw you pass on 108 while we were parked on a side road taking a break. It was a nice day. Only hit a few drops of rain coming back over 108. Recognized your bike from previous posts...
  14. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Top of Ebbetts

EC29286A-DE8A-4844-AF6A-2D0697313419.jpeg

Top of Sonora

556A365A-661C-469A-9B62-24525FC4AB14.jpeg
  15. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    One more Ebbetts 6.3.19.jpeg
  16. michaeln

Oddometer:
    I guess you guys did the same loop as I but in the opposite direction.
    rjnutt likes this.
  17. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    That bike of yours has a distinctive color. When you rode by us on that beast I told the other guys you were probably watching a movie and brewing an espresso...i really like that color.
    BigDogRaven likes this.
  18. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I love that root beer brown. It was one of the reasons I bought the bike. Looks like it was a good day for geezers in hi-viz!
    rjnutt likes this.
  19. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mosquito Lakes (the other Hwy 4 summit) are completely under snow?
  20. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Yep, west side is snowy way down.