The High Sierra Passes thread. Tales and Photos

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by wrk2surf, Dec 5, 2016.

1. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a few feet of the peak of the roof on the little cabin on the far side of Mosquito Lake is sticking out of the snow.
  2. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    rjnutt likes this.
  3. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Couple desperados!!
    Sasquatch2112 likes this.
  4. michaeln

Oddometer:
    I have had the pleasure of riding with some very good "seasoned" riders such as Bike Guy and his buddies and Itsatdm Gary (RIP) and I really enjoy their more responsible riding.

Mostly though I prefer riding alone. Riding with fast guys tends to make me push the limits of my capabilities, which seem to be deteriorating as I get older.
  5. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    @rjnutt holy cow you post more on this thread about a day ride and take more pictures than you do on a week long trip!
    Bike Guy likes this.
  6. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Short rides are more in line with my hamsterish attention span...
    Honda-50, Bike Guy and michaeln like this.
  7. AdvTraveler

AdvTraveler Live to Ride

Oddometer:
  8. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Monitor Pass 5/18
    [​IMG]
    Motorius and rjnutt like this.
  9. michaeln

Oddometer:
    It says "8/27". Was that August 27th, of what year? Not used to seeing green grass there in August.
  10. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    corrected...no wthat I come to think of it...it was spring '18.
    [​IMG]
    michaeln likes this.
  11. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    Good stuff guys way to go!!
  12. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure hope I get to see those passes with all the snow still hanging around. For months I have spent weekends twiddling my thumbs. Now that everything I most love doing is technically available, there has been (and will be) a string of "other stuff" keeping me from getting to it. The days I'm able to get out during the short window are always a dilemma- knobbies? Street bike? Backpacking? When conditions make all that stuff impossible or not worth the trouble, no doubt I'll have all free time I can handle, and then some. Frustrating!
  13. michaeln

Oddometer:
    What can we do to help?
  14. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty simple, really. Just keep all my playgrounds open through the winter when I seem to have way fewer commitments. I knew one of you guys would offer to help. What a pal!
  15. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey. Been watching this thread...for years... and have enjoyed all of the great info., photos and stories. So thanks for taking the time to share.

I've got a week or so to explore the Sierra's and was thinking you guys might have some suggestions on cool places to park a sprinter van. The idea is to stage the rig off of one of the passes and go "up and over" on one paved route and then loop back on another or simply just boondock off of some dirt road and explore around camp. Either way I'm thinking I'll stay one or two nights in one location before moving onto another spot. Eventually I'll want to make it to Tahoe for a hotel stay.

Formal campgrounds are fine but I tend to prefer quieter/dispersed camping whenever possible. That being said, the campground across from Mosquito Lake was pretty awesome. And as far as the bike goes I'll be bringing a reasonably farkled and lightly loaded KLR (:bore) with enough skills to handle all but the most knarly forest roads. And because I'll be riding alone I'll probably need to keep things a bit more "low risk" if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions you might offer and hope to see you out there.

Thanks,

DSchmidt7of7

Attached Files:

Rips Millar likes this.
  16. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I’d suggest Bridgeport or Sonora Pass just past the Marine Base
    slogger likes this.
  17. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Got it. I'll check it out. Thanks
  18. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stay in either Fish Camp or Troy Meadows on the Sherman Pass Rd above Kennedy Meadows. Take the 395 to Walker Pass to Lake Isabella/Kernville, head north and take the Sherman Pass road to the mentioned campsites. Go down Nine Mile Canyon to 395 and go to Tioga Pass and through Yosemite. Come out and head south to Porterville/Springville and go south to almost Kernville along the Kern River, taking the turn off for Sherman Pass and on to your campsite. This is one of my favorite rides. Really nice if you can do during the week.
  19. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Bridgeport puts you in a good spot to do a Tioga to Sonora Pass loop if that suits you. Day rides to Bodie, Masonic, Mt Patterson. For boonie campingI like Virginia Lakes rd/ Conway Summit or Buckeye Creek. Nice USFS cgs up Twin Lakes way

If I didn’t want to do Tioga/Yosemite, I’d camp on the east side of Sonora Pass/108 or on Monitor Pass and do a loop of Ebbetts and Sonora. Day rides to Desert Creek, Lobdell Lake/Mt Patterson, Mill Canyon
    slogger likes this.
  20. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Uhhh Tioga Pass is still closed.