The High Sierra Passes thread. Tales and Photos

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by wrk2surf, Dec 5, 2016.

1. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    He didn't say when he was going....but yeah. I'd skip Tioga anyway.
  2. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    When?
  3. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey RM: Not sure if you remember me or when you crashed at my place outside of Victorville awhile back - we did a quick loop around Big Bear if I remember correctly. Well, as "quick" as one can go on a KLR...:hmmmmm

Timing wise, it's kinda last mnute. I'll be getting the hell outta Orange County this weekend. Need to be in Tahoe Tuesday nite, then free again Thusday thru Sunday (Father's Day)

Ol Man: I totaly agree that the "Southern Sierra Loop" through Walker and Sherman Passes is awesome. Better yet it's within reach for those of us stuck in SoCal. I've done something similar from the Bakersfield side (see thumbnail) I may bag this one on the way back from Tahoe.

Definitely staying a nite or two just off either Sonora or Monitor. Any particular spot that stands out?

As far as Tioga opening in time, I've been that way several times and will bag it if it's open. As many have said before there's a LOT more riding to be done elsewhere.

I'm lousy at taking pictures, but will try to post a few shots once I get back.

Thanks again...

DSchmidt
    rjnutt likes this.
  4. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Tioga adds the cost of Yosemite Park entrance (assuming you pass the gates during daytime hours), but it is a great view up there. It is significantly different looking that Sonora or Ebbetts. Tioga has a lot more open granite areas. It is most impressive riding east over the Sierra. Also, the Whoa Nellie Deli is at the corner of 120 and 395. :dukegirl.

I think a great 2-day ride would be west on Sonora, east on Tioga, then west on 88, east on Ebbetts. Park your base camp at Buckeye Hot Springs. There's nothing like a hot soak with a cold beer after a day of riding. (You'll probably want beer in cans to reduce the chance of broken glass in the hot springs.)

[​IMG]

Travertine Hot Springs are interesting too, but you can't camp there anymore.

[​IMG]

For a short hike to an interesting site, look up Black Point Fissures on the north shore of Mono Lake.

[​IMG]
  5. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode both highway 4 and 108 yesterday. With the warm weather the snow is melting really fast. There are lots of places on 4 where the snowmelt is coming so fast it can't even stay in the "gutter" areas next to the pavement and is running right down the road. In some places it is 1/2 to 3/4" deep, with ripples, and covers the entire paved area.

This was not happening to such an extent on 108.
    rjnutt likes this.
  6. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that happening across the whole pass or just above a certain elevation?
  7. michaeln

Oddometer:
    I think pretty much above 7500', but I didn't really pay attention to the elevation. Between Ebbetts Pass and Lake Alpine.

It was all on the western slope though. There isn't that much snow on the east side.
    Drop_Center likes this.
  8. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode east over 108 and then up to Walker Burger for lunch on Monday this week. I was tempted to go for BBQ but the place was packed with bikes and riders. Not sure if it was a club ride or a tour of some sort. I nearly hit a deer just west of Kennedy Meadows on 108. I sure wish those animals had enough sense to know the danger they create to vehicles and themselves when crossing a highway. Just waltzed across the highway right in front of me. Used most the braking power but ABS never kicked in.
    After lunch headed up over 89 to 4 westbound. Hwy 4 was definitely wetter than 108 but still a fun ride.
    I will have to say that going over 108 right now is absolutely stunning.
  9. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    of course I remember, I wish I wasn't working so much I need to pay you back with a killer ride, but June is real busy, i'm probly gonna do somethin for a few days in July....if I can get any time I will look you up next week.
  10. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RM: No worries at all. The opportunity for this trip came up kinda suddenly and I'm winging it a bit. Having no "plan" is actually turning into a great plan. The info on this thread has been very helpful. I'll stay tuned for word on future chances to get together.

Hopefully I'll see a few of you other inmates out on the road/trail. You'll know its me if you see something that's pasty white, clunky, big, slow and out-dated. (That also describes the bike... :fpalm)

Cheers!
    aanichols and michaeln like this.
  11. 23103a

23103a not n00b

Oddometer:
    Rode home this morning over Hwy 108, (east to west) at about 9 AM. More tourist traffic than I can ever remember, I felt like I was in Yosemite. I guess people are detouring over 108 since Tioga is still closed.

41 degrees and windy on top. Caltrans is doing some road-side grading on the east side of the summit and did a poor job sweeping all the dirt off the road.
    michaeln likes this.
  12. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report, 23103a.
  13. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't see any projected opening for Tioga, anyone find any info?
  14. michaeln

Oddometer:
  15. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amazing, but slightly depressing, how much snow is still hanging around.

Sierra Buttes
    [​IMG]

Ice on Goose Lake (Gold Lake Road)
    [​IMG]

Oro-Quincy Highway is clean and dry, but plenty of snow off the road.
    [​IMG]
    bdesj, 23103a and michaeln like this.
  16. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Missing rider alert !! VIA FB

missing.jpg

MISSING PERSON: PLEASE REPOST: Anyone in the area between Sacramento and Mammoth? Or know anyone traveling around there? My friend @daveygjohnson was last seen on a bike in the area. He hasn’t been heard from in two days. A substantial group of people is worried about him. Davey was last heard from at 2am PT Wednesday morning, and was planning to ride over Sonora Pass, on a black Honda CB1000R headed towards Sacramento. We’re afraid that he somehow went off the road on Sonora Pass with no witnesses, and no sign of an accident. But it’s hard to say. The local authorities have been notified, but I’m asking you, the motorcycle and car communities, please spread the word, help us find Davey. Here is his basic info: 5’10” 200 lbs., salt and pepper hair. If you know anyone traveling or living in the area between Mammoth and Sacramento, please pass this info on to them. Thank you!
  17. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    They found his bike parked at a rest stop near the river in Moke Hill. It sounds like just Davey himself is missing.
  18. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Later yesterday afternoon they found his clothes, cell phone and laptop near a stream that is near the rest stop. Davey and his wallet were missing.
  19. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Contribution to the Passes Pix collection... P1030283.jpg P1030286.jpg P1030287.jpg P1030296.jpg P1030299.jpg
    rjnutt and michaeln like this.
  20. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pictures. Looks like Mosquito Lake snow level is down considerably since I rode by there Wednesday. Sure is a lot of water on the road on 4, huh?