The High Sierra Passes thread. Tales and Photos

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by wrk2surf, Dec 5, 2016.

1. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, quite a creek flowing over/onto it in some places. It was fairly cool when I went over though, so maybe not as much as you got. Skeeters are really out in force with everything wet- every time I stopped, they were all over me within about two minutes of parking.
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    My son works with wawona utilitiies and roads for the park and they had him up there on thursday. The pass is all plowed but there is a big avalance risk at olmstead point. However I would guess they would be opening Tioga this week.
  3. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    No good news about the lost rider. Here is some updates from today I found on FB..
    UPDATE 6:
    8:55 PM PT, Sunday, June 9

Search and rescue will continue tomorrow. The Calaveras Sheriff's Department (and all the agencies now involved) are going to widen their search area, focusing mainly on the water (North Fork of the Mokelumne River near where Davey's motorcycle was found parked), and the nearby highway (Rt 49).

In case you missed it below, please check out the Ledger Dispatch for photos of the huge push that the involved agencies did today (https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2166792890083309&id=1060168704079072)

Mike Levine, who went up to the area on Saturday to put boots on the ground, is working on organizing a possible food truck/food delivery for the search and rescue workers. Please check his page for updates. It's a fantastic idea and a great way for those of us who feel powerless to do our part to help find Davey.

Jaclyn Trop did an interview with CBS This Morning about Davey and the search. It will air tomorrow morning (Monday) at 7:30am.

As always, updates, as they are confirmed with primary sources, will continue to be posted here on Instagram and Twitter.

Anyone with any information or potential sightings should call the Calaveras County Sheriff's Department: (209) 754-6500.

UPDATE 5:
    11:16 AM PT, Sunday, June 9:

Apologies for the silence. I haven't had any updates until now.

The search and rescue efforts continue. Calaveras and Amador County have 45 people searching both sides of the river. There are two boats in the water and a helicopter up. There are plenty of news stories up and reporters in the area are working the story.

The Sacramento Police are sending someone to Davey's home in Sacramento to check and see if he is there and possibly force entry.

Currently, there is no need nor request for additional searchers or volunteers. It's best for the investigation if everyone provides any information they have to the Calaveras County Sheriff and lets them handle the process.

Updates, as they are confirmed with primary sources, will be posted here, on IG and Twitter.

Anyone with any information or potential sightings should call the Calaveras County Sheriff's Department: (209) 754-6500

UPDATE 4:
    2:09 PM PT, Saturday, June 8:

The Calaveras Sheriff's Dept has confirmed that they have found Davey's clothing, computer, and cell phone near the river. No wallet has been found.

We are seeking any information about his carrier (who was it with) and/or cards (to see if they have been used recently). Please DM with info.

UPDATE 3:
    11:35 AM PT, Saturday, June 8:

Search and Rescue is underway. It is a joint effort between the two counties. CHP is running a helicopter up and down both sides of the river.

UPDATE 2:
    12:13 AM PT, Saturday, June 8):
    THE POLICE HAVE FOUND THE BIKE: Parked outside rest stop on RT 49 near Mokelumne Hill. Davey's backpack, computer and phone are not there, but the bike has been found. The Calaveras County Sheriff is planning a search and rescue starting tomorrow morning to look for Davey.

UPDATE 1: The local police have pinged the last known location of his cell phone to Amador County, CA, around 8 am PT Wednesday morning. There have not been any pings since. We have called all the hotels in the area and the hospitals.

***MISSING PERSON ALERT***
    This is my friend Davey G. Johnson and I'm trying to help Jaclyn Trop find him.

Name: David Gordon Johnson
    He is 5'10" and around 200 lbs. Grey hair and riding a Honda CB1000R press bike (mfg plate 3421).

Last contact was somewhere along RT 49 around 2:11am PT on Wednesday morning. He's been out of touch with everyone we know, since.

We don't have specific route details but believe he was heading home (west) to Sacramento from the Mammoth area. He was due home yesterday or today at the latest.

Jaclyn has filed a missing persons report with the Sacramento Sheriff and has been in touch with Tuolumne County Sheriff and CHP (with the tremendous help from Cory Burns and Chris Cantle). The case is now with Calaveras County.

The area is remote and Davey was in warm weather gear. From his texts he was tired and cold and had a hell of a time getting over Sonora. Rt 108 just reopened on May 30.

We're coming up on 72 hours of no contact.

If you are in the area, saw him, spoke to him after 2am Wednesday morning, or know anything please reach out and/or share.
    michaeln likes this.
  4. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I think their focus on the river makes sense. We have had a number of people fall into the fast moving water this year. Even searching along the banks can be pretty dangerous. I'm hoping they find him OK with a broken leg or something, stuck on the bank somewhere. The nights haven't been too cold, so even a wet person could probably be OK there.
  5. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for updates/intell on Quincy-La Porte Road (CR511) if anyone thinks there's a remote chance it will open this weekend. Got some friends coming up from SoCal and they were rather bummed when I told them it's currently closed.
  6. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you, quite aware of that link and the status as being "closed". Was looking to dig a little deeper as to why it's closed and what's being done to open it. Figured there's a chance that someone may live close to the closure or know someone working on it.
  8. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    It hasn’t been cleared of snow yet. Probably have it blown through this week.
    Smackit likes this.
  9. Mike Dirt

Mike Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couple weeks away , heck I ran into 4ft of snow at about 5000 ft. on Hartman Bar Ridge road on Friday last week word around here is July for Q-LP
  10. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my source is far from reliable...since they were riding their sleds on part of the road last weekend!
    Mike Dirt likes this.
  11. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike, are you stuck leaving via Oroville to reach the outside world when QLP and OQH are closed, or do you have a year-round route out to 49? Can you get through by Marysville Rd?
    Mike Dirt likes this.
  12. Mike Dirt

Oddometer:
    Yeah Brian Hwy. 70 and 49 are about it for around here . I rode over the hill on May 8th. last year to meet you and ride up to Black Rock ! Dang snow ! Really looking forward to a few nights in the Nevada desert . What are you doing this weekend ?
  13. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Schedule is not conducive to a lot of riding this year. This weekend, graduation party, following weekend taking out-of-town family camping, then two free weekends that bookend 4th of July. I usually try to hide for situations like that, but might brave the hoards anyway. 14th-15th gone for a wedding, 20-21 clear (I hope), then going on vacation with my wife. Glad I played hookey last weekend! If it isn't smoked out when I get back from vac, what I'm really looking forward to is a DR weekend around Lassen and Mineral.
  14. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw today that Kaiser Pass is open, people are driving in to Florence and Edison. Still several feet of snow on Kaiser
  15. UnclePete

UnclePete Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My nephew came up from down below yesterday on the La Porte - Quincy road .
    It looked like this on June 3 .
    P6030011.JPG
  16. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ That makes no sense to me at all. Here's a shot at 8500ft and there's hardly any snow. http://dot.ca.gov/d3/cameras.html

I'm trying to plan a route for next week to avoid all this and it's not going well. Can anyone clarify? The one I really don't want to miss is Ice house
  17. Mike Dirt

Oddometer:
    I’m heading out in a few minutes to ride to LaPorte and beyond , I’ll post a photo or two later .
    Smackit likes this.
  18. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quincy is going to be 89 degrees today so all of the snow is melting rapidly, but it is a long ass way from Ice House . The La Porte Quincy Road is a small road and is very low on the list when it comes to priorities as to clearing.
  19. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seriosously?
    Clarified: Some roads will be open, some will not, some days end in a flat tire, Peter Paul Almond Joy's got nuts.
    TBD: Ice House might be passable, Peter Paul Mounds may contain nuts and/or nut products.
  20. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    On sunday, I was as far east as ellicotts crossing and wws road. On monday I talked to a friend who had gone to airport flat up the ice house road.
    He said that there were sport bikes at airport flat. My friend was trying to go to mckinstry lake and they were blocked by snow. That said, it can be assumed that wws to icehouse is open do to the fact it is paved. They saw rivers of water across the dirt portion while trying to get to wentwoth springs itself. But that is dirt road.
    Highest I got was about 5,500’.
    Snow is melting very rapidly.
    We go from deep snow banks to extreme fire danger in one day!

[​IMG]

At ellecotts crossing and on the 11 pines road to and from, you can not see any snow anywhere in the rubicon canyon. While at the french meadows dam, you can see some patches of snow on the higher mountainside.
    BigDogRaven, Smackit and michaeln like this.