The High Sierra Passes thread. Tales and Photos

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by wrk2surf, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why do you have to be like that? CDOT cams show no snow whatsoever as high as 8000ft and then you see a pic of Laport at what 5000? And there's 12 feet of snow on the road.
    renogeorge likes this.
  2. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My apologies for being snooty- crappy mood that you are not responsible for. The deal is, elevation is only one factor in snowpack. It falls more at the crest and to the west, something of a rain shadow to the east. More snow generally falls on the lee side of any ridge than on the windy side. North and south are a crap shoot, often a big dump just hits one small area hard and barely dumps anything a few miles away. And once it falls, southern exposures melt way faster than northern exposures, ridges will melt off on top long before a canyon a thousand feet below, well consolidated snowfields that have frozen and thawed resist longer than fluffy powder, etc. And getting completely away from mother nature, some roads are high enough priority that they get plowed all winter, some they let go in the winter and then work hard to open as soon as they can in the spring, some are left to fend for themselves. Does that not all apply to the Rockies?
    michaeln likes this.
  3. Mike Dirt

Mike Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it was 70 in LaPorte at noon , I rode up QLP about 15 miles before turning around . Big cat being towed up the road , I'm guessing a few more days before its clear all the way .

Attached Files:

4. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well here's my situation if anyone cares to read this. I have the rare time off, and a bike prepared that I bought specifically for this trip.

I can ride dirty, wet and snow banked roads here in Colorado. I ride all the way out there (this will be my 10th time) for clean, fast and smooth immaculate pavement which has never done anything but astound me. I'll say this tongue and cheek but, I don't even want to fucking see snow :lol3, at least not near the road.

I'm afraid to ask this but where can ride?
  5. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tongue in cheek, come out of Lost Wages on either 93 or 95. You won't see any snow for hours!

Any of the roads across the Sierra you will see snow. On the major routes you will not be held up by snow.
    Drop_Center likes this.
  6. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    ARIZONA.
  7. powderbronco89

powderbronco89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice thong Sasquatch !

Yes, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT SNOW !

Although, fresh snow has been observed in every month of the year in the Sierras. !

Boy Scout motto: BE PREPARED !
  8. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    There is plenty of good snow free riding in the Sierras, including the northern passes, except Tioga. Also Hwy 49, 20, 89. If I were in CO and didn’t want to go this far, I’d head for Southern UT. If I wanted to go farther, The CA coast north of Ft Bragg. FWIW
    BigDogRaven likes this.
  9. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    soarseeker, bdesj and Mike Dirt like this.
  10. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Decided the bar is way to high, even with low expectations. Will take a trip to Utah instead and plan on a California trip in 2020. Thank you all for the help.
  11. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not like we NEED more people riding our mountain passes. Hope you have a good ride where ever you decide to go.
    UnclePete likes this.
  12. michaeln

Oddometer:
    I rode from Avery up over Ebbetts yesterday. They had us stopped in the sun for tree work for about 1/2 hour at Cadillac Curve, then the pilot truck led us down the hill and the road had wood chunks all over, and it was a challenge to not run over them.

At the bottom I went on over to Markleeville and almost got taken out by a CalTrans truck that went about 3 foot wide out of his lane on a turn. Nothing going on in Markleeville and I didn't really want to go back up over Ebbetts with that tree work delay, so headed on over to 88, up and over Carson Pass.

Then I made a really bad decision. Rather than exiting 88 at Defender Grade and heading down through West Point, Wilseyville, Railroad Flat, Sheep Ranch and on back to Avery as I normally would, I went all the way down to Jackson because I wanted to try a new indian restaurant I had spotted there.

Man, it got hotter and hotter as I descended, and it was 106 in Jackson. The indian place was terrible, it looked like the buffet had not been replenished since before noon, so I left without ordering.

The very high temps continued... it was 107F at the bottom of the 13 corners / Mokolumne River crossing where Davey Johnson disappeared, and held at 105-106F all the way through San Andreas. The poor road workers were laying down new pavement in that heat and I was in a long line of cars going 3-5mph all the way through San Andreas because there was a huge tow truck pulling an 18 wheeler cab and trailer until he turned off at Mountain Ranch.

I had not stopped all day except for five minutes at that terrible indian place, and had neglected to drink any water all day. I was getting weak and my heart was beating like a jackhammer. I was also getting lightheaded and my poor judgement continued, as I still did not take a break and rehydrate, figuring I could make it home. Made it back to 4 in Angels Camp and it was about 103F there, the 100F in Murphys, and by the time I got home to Avery it had cooled down to about 94.

Parked the bike, ripped my gear off and staggered (literally) into the house where I downed 4 cold bottles of water while sitting in my underwear in front of the AC. I also put an ice pack on top of my head to help cool down. Then I took a cool shower and a nap.

I really hate riding in super high temps like that. The wind only serves to make you hotter. I wish I had remembered to bring a hydration pack so I could sip water all day, but I didn't. Thinking back on the day, I'm lucky I got home safe, given the condition I was in.

Don't be a dumbass like me. HYDRATE YOURSELF.
    nvklr, 23103a, soarseeker and 2 others like this.
  13. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    My son lives in Ione and we drove up to that Indian place in Jackson about a month ago for dinner. I didn't see a buffet and we ordered from the menu. Actually it was pretty good. Buffets typically scare me, and I rarely eat from them.

I only added this because Jackson is at the the base of the hills on Hwy 88.
  15. michaeln

Oddometer:
    I won't go back to the indian place. The fact that they thought that sorry buffet was acceptable is enough to keep me out of there.

I only added this because you thought it was pretty good. ;-)
  16. Alanpb

Alanpb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took a ride to Beardsley Reservoir a few days ago. Was absolutely beautiful. 0610191710d_HDR.jpg 0610191709_HDR.jpg 0610191708b.jpg 0610191725_HDR.jpg
  17. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alanpb, that first picture is a winner :thumb

Sounds like a rough one, Michaeln- glad you managed to roll home okay. I just saw that Defender Grade on my last ride through, noticed the sign at one end and then sign for the same name at the other. It doesn't show up on my map, so I was going to check into it again when I got home, but had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder!
    Alanpb likes this.
  18. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Defender Grade is a steep and twisty downhill from 88 into the canyon. It's all 2 lanes and divided though, not that treacherous. Good short cut between 88 and 26.
  19. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    There is a thread about this....sad news.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/missing-rider-davey-g-johnson.1388053/
  20. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    Sherman pass gates are open....good luck getting over without 4x4. At this point I stopped and caught a few vehicles coming down, it got a lot worse further up and they had to tow a few vehicles through it. 20190615_114325.jpg

That spot wasn't too bad, but the snow was soft and I got stuck in less than 10feet, had to paddle the rest of the way across, so I turned around