The High Sierra Passes thread. Tales and Photos

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by wrk2surf, Dec 5, 2016.

1. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode 108 and 4 today. There isn't much snow left up there, mostly above 8,000 feet, but levels are down considerably from a week ago. Not much water running on the roads either.

Wonder why the USFS has not gotten their act together to open 120 / Tioga? Must be Trump's fault.
    waylongway likes this.
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    So who got caught in the hailstorm over sonora this weekend?
    My intel on Yosemite is a bit premature they may not open for a week or two too much of a chance of avalanches and flooding.
  3. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in Yosemite today and one of the workers where 120 is closed on the west side told be it’ll be at least a week or longer before it opens.
    soarseeker and michaeln like this.
  4. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this counts as a Sierra pass but the road through Lassen National Park is scheduled to be open all the way through to vehicle traffic this Saturday at 4:30PM.

Good amount of snow on the mountain still. Always fun to ride it the opening weekend and never too crowded.
    capt42104, bdesj and rjnutt like this.
  5. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great! I'll take it. The only Sierra Pass in the Cascades, so we get something out of it, right?
  6. JimX

JimX .. .

Oddometer:
  7. K. L. Rocket

K. L. Rocket Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer:
    "Yosemite National Park Announces Limited Access on Tioga Road Beginning on Friday, June 21, 2019
    Yosemite National Park announces there will be limited access to Tioga Road (Highway 120 East) for visitors interested in crossing the Sierra. Tioga Road will be open to all vehicles, including bicycles, from 10:00 am to 11:00 am and from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm. No parking will be allowed on Tioga Road and day use recreation is not permitted."
    https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/yosemite-national-park-announces-limited-access-on-tioga-road-beginning-on-friday-june-21-2019.htm

soarseeker likes this.
  8. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Just spent 5 peaceful days camping up by Kennedy Meadows, (South) got back an hour ago. Camped at Fish Creek overflow one of the few camp grounds open and it has water at the main campground. Sherman pass is still closed, all the dirt bike trails are closed you cannot get to Monache Meadows. You can enter from the 395 on Nine Mile Road and go as far as Blackrock Info Center on Sherman Pass Road but the road is closed from there. While up there a bunch of big RV’s and dirt bikers were turned back trying to get to the Kern river. There is a sign as you turn off 395 saying “Sherman Pass Closed” but folks aren’t reading it. Troy camp ground is closed due to water trouble not weather. The Kennedy Meadows General store is open and a lot of PNW trail hikers are coming through but a lot are giving up at Kennedy Meadows because of the conditions further North. Kennedy Meadows campground is open. I was going to Fish Creek campground overflow and was the only person there for four peaceful days. They are also have a few small fires in the area. A lighting strike at Hooker Meadows started a small one two days ago and the fire service are on High alert. I asked the rangers when Sherman pass will be open and they said soon, a lot is clearing the falling trees, debris & rocks off the road after the snow is cleared. :-)
  9. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Open Open OPEN ! on a limited basis..

1. NPS.gov
    2. Park Home
    3. Learn About the Park
    4. News
    5. News Releases
    News Release
    Yosemite National Park Announces Limited Access on Tioga Road Beginning on Friday, June 21, 2019

Subscribe [​IMG] | What is RSS
    Date: June 19, 2019

Tioga Road to open limited hours for access to cross the Sierra

Yosemite National Park announces there will be limited access to Tioga Road (Highway 120 East) for visitors interested in crossing the Sierra. Tioga Road will be open to all vehicles, including bicycles, from 10:00 am to 11:00 am and from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm. No parking will be allowed on Tioga Road and day use recreation is not permitted. There is no visitor parking available at either end of the road closure.

There are no visitor services available along Tioga Road. The Tuolumne Meadows Visitor Center, Wilderness Center, and the Tuolumne Meadows Campground remain closed. Opening dates for the 2019 season have not been determined. Restroom facilities will be available 5 miles east of Crane Flat Junction and at Tioga Pass.

Visitors are encouraged to plan their trips over Tioga Road in advance and to prepare for the restricted access and no access to visitor services. The road will remain closed outside of these times to allow for continued roadwork and snow clearing.

Cyclists traveling over Tioga Road will need to be prepared to cross over the full length of Tioga Road during daylight hours. Tioga Road is closed to overnight camping.

Backpackers planning trips in the High Sierra will be able to be dropped off and picked up at trailheads along Tioga Road. All backpackers will need to pick up their wilderness permits in advance and have a bear canister in hand. It is strongly recommended for all backpackers to be aware of the timing that the road is open and closed and to plan their trip logistics accordingly. Any backpacker who misses the road open period will need to be prepared to spend an additional night in the wilderness. All wilderness regulations will remain in effect.

Yosemite National Park is open year-round. All motorists should drive with caution and be aware of possible hazards in the roadway, including rocks, debris, and water. Tioga Road may be impacted by incoming storm activity, including snow and icy driving conditions, over the next several weeks. Tioga Road may temporarily close due to weather and unsafe driving conditions at any time. Tioga Road is a seasonal road through Yosemite National Park, typically open from late spring to early fall.

For updated 24-hour road and weather conditions for Yosemite National Park, please call 209-372-0200.

Last updated: June 19, 2019
  10. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Troy Meadows Campground on the Sherman Pass Road opened today but it has a “boil all water before use” mandate.
    There is good water at Fish Creek & Black Rock Info Center. :-)
  11. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tioga Road is open to entry at Tioga Pass and 5 miles east of Crane Flat only from 10 am to 11 am and 3 pm to 4 pm daily. Stopping and day-use recreation are NOT allowed. No visitor services are available. The road opens to unrestricted travel on July 1.
    michaeln likes this.
  12. gregkb

gregkb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings from London, you lovely chaps and chapettes

4FF0AB37-CB33-4768-B31F-7E1A57347026-1875-000000A028ECFB5B.jpg
  13. Alanpb

Alanpb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Greg. I'm a brit living in CA, traveling Colorado at the moment. Never been to the Ace Cafe unfortunately.
  14. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    Rode over 108 and came back on 4 yesterday.
    [​IMG]

Did some eastern Sierra dirt road exploring in between.

[​IMG]
    slogger, Chillis, 23103a and 6 others like this.
  15. michaeln

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of doing my one Tioga Pass ride of the year tomorrow morning. I think if I leave home real early like 5-6AM I can get through the High Country before the tourists are up.

Bringing my heated jacket liner and gloves this time though. When I rode it last year I was really really cold, but I was on my KTM SuperDuke 1290 without any wind protection and no heated grips. This time I will be on the Goldwing with a windshield and heated gear. Probably won't need it, but I'm bringing it anyway.
    BrockEvan likes this.
  16. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Been to the Ace many times, years ago there used to be another big motorcycle cafe on the other side of London called Johnson’s on the A20 near Brands Hatch Racetrack. Spent many many great hours at both of these.
    Enjoy your trip.:-)
  17. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike...better check conditions on 120. It’s open for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
  18. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads-up, but this is Monday July 1, and it is supposed to open without restrictions today. It even says that in the article you pointed out.
  19. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    My bad. I was tired. Enjoy the ride.
  20. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Yep, 120 Tioga Road was open. Got to the West Gate about 8AM and there was a sign that said to go on through and pay on exit. When I got to the exit they waved me through.

I would not have had to pay anyway because I have a lifetime senior pass, but I took the time before I left home to put my pass in the left sleeve pocket of my jacket so I could get it out easy, but nobody wanted to see it. Not much traffic. Stopped at Tuolumne Meadows to take a picture and aborted that quickly, the mosquitos are out in droves and very hungry.

After I got down to 395, I rode on down to Bishop to get some jerky at Mahogany Smoked Meats. Had the best club sandwich there I have ever had, with their own mahogany smoked bacon and ham and turkey. Man it was great. Got two 1/2 lb bags of jerky (Habanero and Sweet & Spicy) too.

From there, headed on up to 89 and Monitor Pass, then 4 back home to Avery. I think I rode about 450 miles today and the bike averaged over 50 MPG. That Goldwing just encourages me to pile on the miles, what a terrific motorcycle. It's already one of my favorites of the 35 bikes I have owned.