The High Sierra Passes thread. Tales and Photos

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by wrk2surf, Dec 5, 2016.

1. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I heard from a family on a local facebook group had tried to bring him up but he was too deep and they couldn't get to him. They were pretty traumatised by it.

Anyway, pretty far off topic at this point. Returning you to your regularly scheduled passes stuff.
  2. jcbrandon

jcbrandon Just a guy

Oddometer:
    Carson Pass Mug-2.jpg

Coffee ride on Carson Pass earlier this week.
  3. powderbronco89

powderbronco89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice photo of my yard.
  4. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to give a shout out to:
    Action Motor Sports llc
    441 Gordon St
    Klamath Falls, OR 97601
    (541) 884-8644

I was up at Crater Lake NP when my adv bike decided to part ways with it's sproket nut and washer. I limped into this shop on my temporary fix and Walter was able to modify the only nut of this size in the shop to fix it and get me 700+ miles home. Took me immediately and just charged me for his time at a super reasonable rate. I've worked with alot of mechanics and this guy definitely knows his trade. In their google review it seems they make a habit of helping us broken moto travellers. So if your travelling through or a local check out their shop. He mentioned that people drop ship him tires and other parts for maintenance on long trips too.

P.S. Sonora Pass, Lassen NP, & Crater Lake all super worth the trip, beautiful areas.
  5. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the pleasure yesterday. Bumpity bump-bump joy joy :-)

The homebound leg you described just before that post (Avery, Sheep Camp, RR Flat, West Point) also happens to be one of my "can't miss" sections whenever I get a chance for 4 or get way out to the far end of 88. It just got a little sweeter with the new-to-me Defender mile. Muchos ThankYous, Michaeln.
    Shadowed_Stranger and michaeln like this.
  6. powderbronco89

Oddometer:
    Road work in Alpine County until October.

Bridge repair work at two bridges near Marklleville, Hwy 4/89

Bridge work repair at Picketts junction, Hwy 88/89.

Minor delays, not too bad.
    Sailorlite likes this.
  7. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Fires now around the Kennedy Meadows area: Broder Fire & Cow Fire started by lightening. Monache Meadows is been used as a set up area for fire fighters so maybe closed. Troy Meadows & Fish Creek campgrounds are open but can have heavy smoke depending on winds. If you are riding Sherman Pass Road or Seven Mile Canyon check before you go. :hair
    Square1 and michaeln like this.
  8. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    In that general area, I usually go to Walker for food. My favorite is the Mountain View BBQ, but the Walker Burger also gets good reviews. I had the baby back ribs this past Saturday, and they were pretty darn good.

I spent most of the day fishing at Virginia Lake (about half way between Bridgeport and Lee Vining). Not much was biting in the lake, but they were waiting in line to attack my hook in the stream!

[​IMG]
  9. michaeln

Oddometer:
    I like Mountain View BBQ too. It's just almost never open when I go by there, and Walker Burger is open so I go there instead.
    High Country Herb and Bigger Al like this.
  10. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About 4 miles north of Topaz Resort is a place called Iggys and Squigglys that I have not been to but a riding buddy said they had good food. Next time I am in the area I will give it a try. Or if anyone wants to get together for a ride over the passes and lunch there during the week let me know.
  11. powderbronco89

Oddometer:
    Mono Cone on Lee Vining, closed !
  12. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer Supporter

Oddometer:
    say it ain't so!

*that* is a tragedy.

13. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you guys tell me about Winton Rd between Westpoint and Hwy 4? Never tried it but always curious if it goes all the way through or is gated, and what the quality of the road is (I'm assuming dirt, but there's fun dirt and there's rutty, dusty, nasty dirt). Any intel appreciated. Thanks!
  14. Fat Nelly

Fat Nelly Cut from a stinky cloth

Oddometer:
    Went through last week on our own 5 passes ride and I tell you these backroads are way better than the main highways with traffic and slow motorhomes.

So to answer your question. Yes it does go all the way through. There are some roads that go to gates but you can snake your way through. We came out on 7N09. We were wrapped around a few times cause we refuse to use GPS. Then I used my phone and google maps and it showed us the way out. Getting low on gas...

The road is paved but a little bumpy and turns to dirt once in the national forest then goes back to pavement, dirt etc. The dirt was actually better than the pavement and not too dusty. We ran into a few others out there and they had big smiles just like us.
    We both were on street bikes and made it no problem. I was on a CTX700 cruiser old man bike and it was fine. Small dual sport would be epic.

Have fun its worth it!
  15. lvscrvs

Oddometer:
    Exactly what i wanted to know, thanks FN..... :thumb
  16. rickbt

rickbt rickt

Oddometer:
    I picked it up off 4 going west about 15 years ago and went through with out problems. Did some of it again about a month ago and the only problem was some roads were closed because of logging going on. Our plan was to go from 88 near Salt Springs over to Arnold on 4. Wilton road is paved from West Point to the Cal Fire Station. We took the route from there over to 4 and then Arnold. That was good dirt road that was paved in places.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.425943,-120.2419598/38.4210363,-120.2210997/38.4207887,-120.196072/38.4084073,-120.1939729/38.3898211,-120.1983625/38.3744341,-120.1915506/@38.3747872,-120.1931303,367m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0 Wilton road.JPG

Rick
    lvscrvs likes this.
  17. powderbronco89

Oddometer:
    FS Road 7N08 connects Winton Rd. To Salt Springs Reservoir.

Anybody been through there this season ? Last year there was a land slide, although it was passable.

Stanislaus NF map says it's closed ?

Anybody got boots on the ground info ?
  18. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Winton gets closed for the winter Nov 15th, so if you want to ride it (I love it), don't keep putting it off. When the rain starts it will settle the dust, but I think the ride will get much harder.

BTW, lots of logging trucks on the paved part of Winton. The trucks aren't a problem, but the crap that falls off of them is if you are on a motorcycle. Not a balls-out road.

Go now.
  19. lvscrvs

Oddometer:
    2 weeks from today.... can't wait... been a few years since we've rambled around the Eastern Sierra.... :rayof
  20. michaeln

Oddometer:
    I don't think you will find Winton in the Eastern Sierra.